New STM Hours (VM)

Is there a link to this STM page, I cant find anything relating to it? Strange!

It's on the virginmedia newsgroups from the official staff, there is a huge arguement going on in there about it as well...

cheers for that m8, I didnt even know the blueyonder news server had stopped, :(
Nice of them to let me know!!

The flaw in your post is, STM doesnt catch out the heavy downloaders, they have just shifted their downloads to overnight and all morning/afternoon (which is why your now getting a new STM to stop them from doing that)

It does however stop the normal users for using their connections, just 1 xbox live demo, or 1 HD stream and your capped...that's bad if you have more than 1 person using the connection.

STM isnt there to stop heavy downloaders, its just to lower bandwith costs and make it so they dont have to upgrade the network.

Well put. Tell you what though if I get capped at 5mb dl I'll just cancel my contract or can they stop me from doing this too?

I can get great speeds with Be and they are unlimited and cost much less than VM with no throttling from my past experience. Their network is a bit unstable though.

I'm going to go on a download binge now. Current downloads are peaking at 2500k/s so I better milk it while I can. That's 1 360 game an hour :)

I've become a very heavy downloader recently but all of my downloading is done after 12 midnight and ceases before 12 midday. In this time you can download over 120GB of data on XL. Surely this is enough so that we don't have to use newsgroups during the day?

My normal DL/month is around 100GB but last month I did around 300GB in HD films with no caps. Just stick to night time downloading guys and let normal folk have a fast connection during the day.

Good point and agreed but again how long before the 4pm to 9pm slot gets 'stretched'? like the definition of unlimited (although this does mean download I know) they really are taking a big nose dive with this, however it occured to me the following:

1 - Neil Berk VM CEO 'whatever' made a statement last week or so stating that net neutrality (all traffic treated equally) is boll@cks (his words not mine) and that they are going to start pushing systems that allow some content to be delivered with priority over the network aka premiums aka pay more

2 - There is also the ongoing spat thats started over iPlayer as this has all the ISP's whinging about the 'extra' bandwith costs (which is true to a point)

3 - The Rapidshare factor has come into play here, as it's obvious people are willing to pay premium on demand speed (for thosewho don't want to get into newsgroups etc)

4- The GOOD news (from a legal point of view) is that if VM/BT et al start doing 'on demand speed' then they cannot claim Common Carrier Status which WOULD lead them open to legal attacks from Big Content as ISP's have much deeper pockets than joe average public, so it MAY end up doing us a favour in some ways. Although it doesn't seem that way at the moment.

5 - The other obvious possibility is that they are going to 'force' subscribers into a download limit per month so if you are a heavy user then you'll pay more for the speed and more for the amount you download.

Just my 2$

Last edited:
I hope that whoever thought up this new policy dies in their sleep tonight.

Maybe I took that too far.:Laugh:

"Good point and agreed but again how long before the 4pm to 9pm slot gets 'stretched'?"

It already is stretched, I am confirmed as in the NEW new trial area and my STM is from 10am until 9pm, sometimes 11PM. It changes from day to day, but then it is a 'trial'.

Its not on and putting any legal arguments to one side, its plain not fair either.

Messa

Not tried it myself but heard good reports (apart from a lousy 7day retention on binaries)

7 days its mostly 24-48 hours :( thats why I went with NewsDemon, shortly changing to Giga as ND although saying 110 retention lots of stuff missing :(

The th*ng that pisses me off about these restrictions is, at the same time as them implementing more stringent rules they are offering new services. 4mb increase to 10mb, 20mb increase to 50mb. I'd much rather stick with my current 4mb than have to put up with more in terms of having to watch the times that i download. Why offer higher speeds if you are going to sting people for using it? i think its because they know they have some sort of monopoly over other ISP's. Eventually the ADSL network will be so congested it will be like dial up and people will have no choice but to swing to vrgin's fibre optic network.

Back