iPhone Apple iOS 6 software update available from 6pm

snapman

VIP Member
Staff member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Apple will release its iOS 6 mobile operating system later on today, bringing over 200 new features to its iPhone and iPad devices.

The update will be rolled out at 10am San Francisco time, which means that owners of Apple devices in the UK should be able to start downloading it from 6pm.

Unlike previous iOS updates, it will be available to download over-the-air (OTA), which will hopefully prevent it from bricking and wiping devices like the iOS 5 update did last year.

Once installed, users can expect to see a number of new features on their devices, although not all of the features will be coming to Apple's oldest devices.

These upcoming tweaks include Apple's new Maps app based on TomTom's services, a new Phone application, Facebook integration, iCloud Tabs in the Safari web browser and Apple's new Passbook application.

Owners of Apple's new iPad will also be able to get their hands on Siri, which comes as part of the iOS 6 update.

Apple's iOS 6 mobile operating system will be available to download on the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPad 2 and the new iPad.

Owners of the the new iPhone 5 will have the iOS 6 software installed on the device as standards once it is available on Friday.

Ovum analyst Nick Dillon told V3 that the release was a signifaicnt update for Apple but that questions marks remained over some changes, notable the switch away from Google Maps.

"iOS 6 brings improvements across the board, both enhancing existing applications and introducing new features, such as Passboo," he said.

"The only exception to this appears to be Apple Maps, which - according to early reviews - is a step backwards from the Google Maps-powered version which it replaces.

"Fortunately for users, Google is expected to release an iOS version of its own Google Maps application in the near future."

Dillon added the ability to use FaceTime over 3G was also a notable upgrade but could also lead to some issues.

"The fact that FaceTime will now work on mobile networks may also cause some issues. AT&T has already stated that it will restrict usage to users on certain tariffs, and it is likely that others will do the same, which could cause issues for customers hoping to use the new feature."

Nevertheless, speaking at the launch of iOS 6 back in July at the WWDC event, Scott Forstall, Apple's senior vice president of iOS software said the update was the best yet for iOS users.

"iOS 6 continues the rapid pace of innovation that is helping Apple reinvent the phone and create the iPad category, delivering the best mobile experience available on any device."

Check back later this week for our review of iOS 6.

Source

****WARNING*****
There is no jailbreak for IOS 6 yet
and also there is no way to downgrade back to IOS 5.1.1
so you better stay on IOS 5.1.1
A5/A5(X) devices cannot downgrade back to IOS 5.1.1 once IOS 6 is released!!!​

Last edited:
Downloading it to my Iphone4s now, squeaky bum time lol.

Mick

i take it lads you dont bother with jail breaking then ?

i take it lads you dont bother with jail breaking then ?

only issue i have had with jailbreaking if theres an update for an app you have installed you cant get update, well i couldn't unless i was doing it wrong, which know me is possible.

Few little extras here and there, not sure if the "do not disturb" option is new or not lol but could be useful when up ladders lol.

Like the vip emails that is going to be very useful.

Thats all i have noticed so far... Faster??? Seems the same to be honest but i have never thought my iPhone slow to be honest

Mick

Few minor changes and updates, marginally faster with some transition changes but otherwise the same boring shit. If there are 200+ they are not immediately noticeable.

This alone makes me think twice about going to a 5.

I tested this on my 2nd "test" iPhone not the one I actually use and I really cant see any justifiable reason to upgrade from 5.1.1 (yet). If I get a 5 to me it's likely to feel exactly the same, faster, slimmer and bigger. At least with Android there was a large noticeable difference with their move to ICS and JB.

Back