New STM Hours (VM)

CoreTech

Inactive User
Reaction score
STM Statement:

As part of our continued efforts to improve our customer's broadband
experience we are continuing to trial measures which will more efficiently
and pro-actively manage network traffic.

As part of our continued efforts to improve our customer's broadband
experience, we are making changes to the current Traffic Management Policy
within certain trial regions.

This updated policy will be trialed within the following regions
Preston, Wigan, Blackpool, Camden, Dalston, Enfield and Haringey.

These measures are based on policies that detect traffic patterns
that are deemed potentially abnormal and apply traffic management rules to
ensure that other customers are not adversely affected by this traffic.

The trial aims to prevent or reduce the effects of a minority of
users abusing the network and preventing the majority of subscribers from
having the network performance they desire.

For the vast majority of customers, upwards of 95% of the base,
their experience will be a more consistent speed (both upload and download).

Those who have the policies applied to their connection will
experience their download / upload speed being constrained (less than 5%
affected). Breach of acceptable use policy may lead to these policies being
applied.

These optimisation policies are being trialed during the following
times where the potential for abnormal traffic has been identified as having
the greatest adverse impact on our customers' experience.

10am - 3pm Download only
4pm - 9pm Download
3pm - 8pm Upload

During these times the following thresholds will be applied for upstream and
downstream.

10am - 3pm Download
Size M: 900Mb
Size L: 2400Mb
Size XL: 6000Mb

4pm - 9pm Download
Size M: 450Mb
Size L:1200Mb
Size XL: 3000Mb

3pm - 8pm Upload
Size M: 200Mb
Size L: 700Mb
Size XL: 1400Mb

So that's 11 Hours Constant STM Restriction we now have to put up with, as this WILL be a national roll out.

**** em, **** em **** **** em

I think they have it tunning 24/7 in my area. No matter what time I download I get capped after 3GB!

FOOKIN TW@TS!

:(

I hate VM, but what you gonna do - you dont get better than cable :(

11 hours ffs, the government realy needs to step in here, all the suppliers are getting away with robbery in plain site!

money is their god....I bet richie branson wishes he never gave his name to that shower of sh**

These measures are based on policies that detect traffic patterns
that are deemed potentially abnormal

Yep, if you actually have the balls to open a browser and look at a website, I mean heaven forbid you'll actually use the broadband you pay for, robbin feckin tw@ts

No point in complaining though as we'll all be 'Phormed' soon which is even worse, I thought back in the day the idea was seperate cable companies would 'encourage' competition and drive down prices, but it seems we are now back with a monopoly and they are frankly taking the piss.

Last edited:
There is also the 4 hour rule here, this means if you go over your 1.75GB (download and upload combined!!) within 4 hours you get capped from 20 meg down to a 5 meg service (because customers are only paying for 10 meg and virgin gives you 20 for free!!! So they can take the piss twice over!! Then there is the catch that peak time is from 4pm till 1am so if you exceed your quota at say 12.59am then you are capped till 4.59am!!! You can exceed your quota mutilple times (4 hour cap each time) Therefor if you are a heavy user you can be capped in excess of 12hrs out of 24hrs. Now that IS taking the Urine. I pay for a premium service and get 2nd class in effect, but Virgin hold all the cards, so what can we do?

I've become a very heavy downloader recently but all of my downloading is done after 12 midnight and ceases before 12 midday. In this time you can download over 120GB of data on XL. Surely this is enough so that we don't have to use newsgroups during the day?

My normal DL/month is around 100GB but last month I did around 300GB in HD films with no caps. Just stick to night time downloading guys and let normal folk have a fast connection during the day.

Just thought, when the XL gets capped to 5MB does the upload also get capped or does it remain the same?

:)

I've become a very heavy downloader recently but all of my downloading is done after 12 midnight and ceases before 12 midday. In this time you can download over 120GB of data on XL. Surely this is enough so that we don't have to use newsgroups during the day?

My normal DL/month is around 100GB but last month I did around 300GB in HD films with no caps. Just stick to night time downloading guys and let normal folk have a fast connection during the day.

1)you wont be able to do that much longer as there is another trial in place stopping people from downloading excessively overnight

2)Most people like to switch their pc off while they are asleep, electricity isnt free, i doubt VM will pay for it, then there is the noise...the risk of fire, electric going off, storm, bla bla bla...

3)People are paying a premium price for a connection, they should be able to use it when they need it, not when VM say they can.

The flaw in your post is, STM doesnt catch out the heavy downloaders, they have just shifted their downloads to overnight and all morning/afternoon (which is why your now getting a new STM to stop them from doing that)

It does however stop the normal users for using their connections, just 1 xbox live demo, or 1 HD stream and your capped...that's bad if you have more than 1 person using the connection.

STM isnt there to stop heavy downloaders, its just to lower bandwith costs and make it so they dont have to upgrade the network.

.....I pay for a premium service and get 2nd class in effect

Actually you pay for nothing like a premium service. You pay for a basic consumer level service. A premium service would set you back £2000-£5000 per month for a dedicated line.

Still, VM are still taking the mick in introducing this amount of limitation on something they advertise as an unlimited service. Unfortunately though, an internet service providers accepted definition of "unlimited" varies considerably with the dictionary definition.

Back