new hard drive 12gb superslim

BIG-HOL

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
hi guys, one of my friends wants to update his ps3 12gb superslim as hes ran out of room and wants to put a hard drive in it, which i have, i have also ordered the caddy for the drive to go into, what i want to know is which is the simplest way to do this, and how does it work, as obviously the 12gb model hard drive is a built in flash drive so how do i go about it. he also wants all his game saves and basically everything on the console transferred to the 500gb drive which will become his main drive.

any help much appreciated.

as far as I can remember I did my daughter from new and it set hard drive up auto, but as for saving what you have I can't say m8, not much help I know just thought I would say.

in the ps3 settings, there is a backup utility. just backup the ps3 to a flash drive or similar and install the new hdd. the ps3 will format it. then just restore your backup to the ps3

cheers gents, deedie, does this make a full backup of everything including game saves, as these are the most important things he has on there.

It will backup all saves. If I remember right, the only thing it doesn't, is psn downloads. These need to be downloaded again.

I'm pretty sure that you need the latest ps3 firmware on a usb drive.make a folder on it called PS3 then in that folder make another called UPDATE, then place PS3UPDAT.PUP in there. make sure folder names are uppercase.

Last edited:
It will backup all saves. If I remember right, the only thing it doesn't, is psn downloads. These need to be downloaded again.

I'm pretty sure that you need the latest ps3 firmware on a usb drive.make a folder on it called PS3 then in that folder make another called UPDATE, then place UPDAT.PUP in there. make sure folder names are uppercase.
yeah mate iv made the folders on my laptop ready to go, so even if im just backing up say via a 32gb usb flash drive i would need the folders on the usb flash drive, as i took it like this was only needed for installing the new hard drive.

Yes. Just for the upgrade.

When you do the backup, u can just put the firmware on the thumb drive. The backup will make the PS3 folder, then u just need to make the UPGRADE folder and add the firmware

Yes. Just for the upgrade.

When you do the backup, u can just put the firmware on the thumb drive. The backup will make the PS3 folder, then u just need to make the UPGRADE folder and add the firmware
thanks for that pal, as far as the internal flash goes, what happens to it once you put a hard drive in it, does it then just become reduntant and not used at all.

Yes its redundant once a hdd is installed

Back