New dish and sizing regarding planning permission

gasman

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Im about to order a motorized dish and on reading up on here ive noticed some issues regarding dishes in excess of 90 cm. My want is to install a 100 cm dish but the front of my house faces due south and therefore the it's going to be quite noticeable. Will there be substantial losses in channels (satellites) if i go for an 88cm dish rather than the 100 ? Ive considerd a pole mounted dish out back but im not keen on that one in case it decides to move (doubt any pole mount is going to be as stable as the old bricks n mortar!). Am i likely to get any mither due to the size of dish ? And if so is the extra signal strength worth the wrath of the do gooder ? Any opinions appreciated

regards
gasman

Ive always been advised go for the bigger dish, your gonna get a better signal and maybe pick up those weaker sats if your lucky.

However I would suggest if this is your 1st install, you read up the stickys/guides on moterised installs.
I belive its only a good idea if its on a stone/concrete fixings.

hi m8, id go with a 1 meter as your allowed 1 dish up to 100cm and a second dish of up to 60cm., i have a td110cm and td64cm because i like pushing the law!:proud:

i have a 1.2 dish attached to the building and as yet never had a word from anyone

if it high enough and anyone says can you confirm the size say well you get up a ladder and measure it cause i aint

i have a 1.2 dish attached to the building and as yet never had a word from anyone

if it high enough and anyone says can you confirm the size say well you get up a ladder and measure it cause i aint

Good point dbspider,

some of my neighbours look like they work for SETA judging by the size of their dishes.

csb

Cheers for the replies guys 1 metre dish it is then just need to make my mind up which receiver to get now. Am torn between the db 800 hd or the tm 9100, obviously the db has the hd facility but is it really worth the extra hundred quid? Also which box is the easiest to use after setting up, i mean for the wife and kids etc. Im eventually going to plumb for the tm 800 hd but might wait a bit for the launch price to settle down and i want to start the learning curve right now while im flush.

you can allways get a transparant dish

Ye have looked at those but ive also read (somewhere on here) that the solid dishes pull better strength signals down so im thinking of going with one of them. Im looking for the max satellite coverage I can get without moving jodrell bank into the garden.

Cheers for the replies guys 1 metre dish it is then just need to make my mind up which receiver to get now. Am torn between the db 800 hd or the tm 9100, obviously the db has the hd facility but is it really worth the extra hundred quid? Also which box is the easiest to use after setting up, i mean for the wife and kids etc. Im eventually going to plumb for the tm 800 hd but might wait a bit for the launch price to settle down and i want to start the learning curve right now while im flush.

Same position here. Gasman, and think its the £1m question.

First time for me with linux stb(tm600), and on the whole has openned my eyes a little to some possibilities. Network enabled stb's are obviously a must, with PVR and more importantly Timeshift and twin/tripple tunners.

Please dont shoot me, but as a Benchmarch for cheap user front end, I use a Terrestial GoodmansSD twin tuner 2week epg timeshift with 160gb hd. It has no softcam options and odvously no motor control, but does what it says on the tin for less than £80. If only they could put that into sat stb.

Regards csb

Thanks to all im ordering the same Technomate motorized dish set up that munkey ordered in this post.
https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/231368/#post1713907
Seems like a bargain and saves all the shopping about for little bits (amalgamating tape, f connectors etc). Thanks to munkey for that one rep added. Still struggling with which receiver to go with but digi may have swung me towards the TM boxes as my only concern was week epg, but if digi says it's good then who am i to argue. Ill get onto ordering everything this weekend then get set up when i finally get some time off.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my dish and kit off that bloke mate as well and found it all to be good stuff and everything needed was there, just add a receiver.

hi m8, id go with a 1 meter as your allowed 1 dish up to 100cm and a second dish of up to 60cm., i have a td110cm and td64cm because i like pushing the law!:proud:

Does that mean I can put up a 1m dish without having to take down the sky dish that has been left on the side of the house by the previous owners?

Back