New Clone Vu With Bust LCD

alonso

Inactive User
Reaction score
Finally decided to get a clone vu duo for the twin tuner as the missus was constantly moaning about the 800se and recording :nopity: after unpacking the box yesterday I noticed something lopsided behind the lcd screen but not realising what it might be I booted the box up to check it worked then realised the lcd was loose and dropped down not working..

Box works ok just no screen, Ive tried bending it in place but noticed 2 pins on very left hand side going into the lcd are broke :Angryfire I've bent them into place and booted it up and it worked.. Put the thing back together and the bleedin thing doesnt work!! So nothing on the screen apart from the little red power light in the corner..

Emailed the supplier (chinese) they said they will send me a new lcd when I order again (thanks lol), I'm not that bothered about the screen to be honest but I just flashed vix 2.3 gm on and I thought I would get updates on the flash on the tv but no... I had no idea what was happening. So I guess I do need the lcd screen..

Flashed work ok but not sure I like the image.. Need to change buttons around, can I change the coloured buttons on the epg screen? Also how do I change the coloured buttons? I tried that addon (multi quick button or something) on my 800se and didnt like it..

why did you not like multi quick button? It basically assigns every button an exact task. Make sure you download a version for the receiver you intend on using it for (ie duo / dreambox / extrend)

I personally use vix on my xtrend 9000 and multiquick button and think it is the bees knees. If vix is not your prefered flavour you could also try blackhole images.

A small tip I would give is if you find the menus do not display properly on your tv then try the pli-hd skin. Seems to fit the tv automatically for me.

the LCD screen is pretty much useless in normal operation. It is however very useful while your flashing an image...tells you it's reading USB, etc etc.. Your probably better off trying to repair/resolder the pins to the LCD, easier and quicker than messing around with supplier.
This is unfortunately one of the pitfalls you can get with ordering from China. I've been lucky so far, only issue i've had on a new reciever was dislodged CPU heatsink, easily fixed with a bit of thermal adhesive.

Yeah always best to get one from a uk supplier. More chances of sorting any problems if things go wrong.

Depends...certain UK suppliers are not reputable either... I mentioned the Hudderfield outfit in the other thread for example. Theres also others over the years like Satronics etc...Some UK suppliers believe it or not have it as part of their returns policy that the box will be sent to China for repair...you have to wait for it to be sent back and you pay return postage to their UK office. When it comes to clones..all UK Suppliers are just really drop shippers they buy from the same sources in China at volume add a premium and resell to you.

if you dont want to order from china a new lcd where is a site (based in australia) with is genuine vu+ dealer new lcd is about £40 inc shipping.
i know one popular chinese site sell them for $10usd but the shipping maybe high for one item unless you get it via HK post. they dont list the display on the website yet but do have the part in stock. if u order a lcd maybe worth getting a spare psu at the same time lol

Thanks for the info guys.. The reason I didnt like multi quick button was because i only wanted to change 4 or 5 button functions and you have to sort out every button function and I could never get it right lol
I think I'll deffo have to have a go at the lcd though as you cant tell if the box is in standby or on!

A couple of things that are really annoying me so far on the vix image that I need to sort out are, say I'm watching a sports channel and I press the epg button, select the movie bouquet, look through to see whats coming on later (I dont want to change channel) if I press exit button it changes channel to which ever one I was looking at then crashes 7 out of 10 times!! How the hell do I get off the epg back to the same channel I was watching??? I assume its a setting somewhere?

Also the crashes piss me off as it takes an age to reboot! My 800se was twice as fast! I do however like the fact that timeshift works spot on..

you need to reflash the 2.3.v204 image if this does not work your clone has more problems than just a broken lcd have you checked it has been flashed so it can use the latest drivers if it has not then you need to use an older image vix 2.1 was stable and has not got the driver problems caused by the clones as far as i know I believe digidude still uses this image on his real vu+

edogg

you need to reflash the 2.3.v204 image if this does not work your clone has more problems than just a broken lcd have you checked it has been flashed so it can use the latest drivers if it has not then you need to use an older image vix 2.1 was stable and has not got the driver problems caused by the clones as far as i know I believe digidude still uses this image on his real vu+

edogg

Thanks for the info, its a v2 box and came with a blackhole image on which worked flawless but I didnt have it setup how I like so I stuck the vix image on, maybe I'll try vix 2.4? Or maybe just go for the 2.1 like you say. I'm not bothered too much about all the extras, just want it as a bog standard box that I can timeshift and record series etc..

None of the Duo clones including the V2.0 can use any of the newer images like Blackhole 1.7.6 or Vix 2.4.204 as these incorporate new drivers by Vu in the last month or so and most people are awaiting Ferrari to patch them, Should be at the end of August according to there forum.

So if your going to flash Vix and to save a heeadache do not flash a build over 2.4.155 and on blackhole stay with 1.7.5 and under.

Back