Sensible Topic New Car Checks!

mas123

Inactive User
Reaction score
If I told you that I would have to kill you.
I recently bought my first car. It’s around 15 years old. I’ve had the engine oil changed, oil filter replaced, air filter replaced and cabin filter replaced. The MOT is due soon, so I’ll obviously have to get that done.

My question is, apart from the above, is there anything else I need to check / change after having bought a new car?

Mot will check steering,brakes ,tyres and emissions then all other things like lights indicators etc to windscreen washers basically everything to ensure the car is safe for the road

If it is fifteen years old prepare your self for potential bad news. Not many cars that age will sale through an mit wit no issues. Good luck though

if you look at mot history you will see what work has been done on the car over the last mot's
if you let us know the make and model we may be able to help a little more as all cars have common faults
for the make and model . An other option is to fine an owners forum for said make and model and looks around

low mileaage is not always good just means the car lies about a lot or just does a few miles here and there

It's a good tip for anyone buying a car, look at its previous MOT's. If it's clear or works done you might be in luck but it can also be packed with advisories ready to sting your pocket.

No mention if due or overdue timing belt on car.Has it been up on a ramp lately to view the rust.

Timing belt won’t affect the mot. That’s a service issue.

True but if buying a car its vital as if it breaks it wont get to the centre.
Over here if you drive a diesel you have to sign a waiver if tb goes and engine blows lol Good old NCT.

if its a 15 year old car there is a limit to what you spend on it and as for timing belt its cost vs what the cars worth
thats why i drive bangers mate something major goes wrong you bin it . someone car park dings it no big deal
wifes honda jazz cost me 600 2 years ago its had service and brakes and thats it 20k since and going to sell
for what i paid soon as its a 57 plate with 105k

Only 15 years is a good life with the road salt in UK.
Ireland is where i live and drive a 30 year old mitsubishi with classic road tax @ e56 and 2 year nct.
Think mine has 123k in all those years and still get offers to buy it.

Put the reg through the Vehicle Smart App and you can view historical MOT’s. That could give you an indication of pending issues like the below

View attachment 127211
View attachment 127210

I done that and the worst it had was something regarding break pad condition and thickness. Other than that, only minor points such as windscreen washer not providing sufficient fluid.

Reactions: MH
not always mate cars have moving parts that can seize up . low usage will kill battery quicker as its never getting a full charge
town driving can be harder on clutches and brakes. water gets a chance to sit in places causing rust. freind of mine works on the rigs he is away for 3 weeks a time his car does no miles and always needs stuff like batterys and brakes doing as it sits there
was it a private sale or a dealer

not always mate cars have moving parts that can seize up . low usage will kill battery quicker as its never getting a full charge
town driving can be harder on clutches and brakes. water gets a chance to sit in places causing rust. freind of mine works on the rigs he is away for 3 weeks a time his car does no miles and always needs stuff like batterys and brakes doing as it sits there
was it a private sale or a dealer

It was private.

Back