New build won't show anything on monitor?

afcwomble

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi guys. After all the problems with my computer which was 5 years or so old I decided to bite the bullet and build my own. I have an Asrock ConRoe865PE motherboard with a 500gb SATA drive, 2 Pioneer 112's and a Pentium D processor and 1gB of RAM and a GeFORCE 6200 PCI Express/AGP8X video card. Got it all wired (I think all in the right place) and fired it up-all fans fine but I get nothing on the monitor? I've disconnected all the drives and just left the video card in and nothing else and still the same. Whe I remove the RAM I get 3beeps, when the RAM is in I get no beeps. Any ideas?

Try an alternative graphics card. Its not unheard of for them to arrive DOA.

An old pci one will do the job if you have any spare bits lying around.

6200agp hasn't got power connector\- thats what iv'e got on my htpc. so don't worry about that. 1 beep suggests motherboard thinks everything is ok. have you got another monitor to try.

Also you could try a bog standard rca lead from the tv out onto a telly.

Cheers again for replies.

I have tried this on 2 monitors now so defo not the monitor.

Pulled the old graphics card out of my old system & tried that-still the same-put the new one in the old system and it works fine so rules out the graphics card(never thought of doing that earlier)

And no I don't get any beeps at all when power applied but if I remove the RAM I get 3 short beeps continious?? and@Digicol I'm not sure on different systems so just got myself a case/motherboard bundle and went from there. I was having problems with my old computer crashing and thought it may be graphics card so bought a new one & as it seemed OK for the new board just used that one.

motherboard or ram must be knackered.
can you try the ram from your old system??

RMA it for a pci-x sys like digicol said.
shouldn't have a proble cos I can't see any online shops that stock that board.
ddr2 is cheap now as well.

Hi Have you checked that psu has 350w / 400 watt for a c d series chip if psu too lower rating the machine will power fams with no pre post beep codes it is just a lack of power from the powersupply (psu) try a 400W /450 They normally ok

PcWhiz

GeFORCE 6200 PCI Express/AGP8X video card. here you have 2 x different connection graphic card. you can not install 2 x cards. What Graphic card do you have...AGP8X? or Pci Express? you can have 2 x pci express graphic cards in sli mode or crossfire ati. Also try one memory stick at a time

Try and test your m/b and components outside your atx case. Rest the m/b on top of the cardboard box the m/b came in and then simply attach the psu (and 4pin), ram and graphics, and cpu+fan.

Remove all pci cards, ide cables, usb connections etc so it is litterly bare bone. Try and power up your m/b by shorting the two connection pins and if possible attach the speaker for any post beeps, If this dont work, try diiferent psu, ram, and graphics and if all else fails take your m/b and cpu back to be tested.

Good luck

Success :)

just an update for you-It seems it was the RAM that is faulty. I couldn't test as my other computer has the SDR type so had to wait til a new 512 stick of DDR2 arrived. Up and running now and working great-Thanks for all the pointers guys-much appreciated. One other thing I got an Explorer FX3 drive/fan monitor with the package I got but am a bit stumped on where the cables go-does anyone else have one of these installed and can tell me? There are 3 sensors which I presume stick to the fan/drive but where do the 3 other cables go-if its not worth sticking in i'll leave it out. Cheers again.

Back