New alarm nightmare.

20160430_121317.jpg

is a panel/pin entry

- - - Updated - - -

I beleive that it can take key fob's and some sort of remote?
but i never requested that, just a standard key pad!

Sent you a PM :)

cheets @ketmp

Regulation 522.8.5 What does this mean for electricians?
Electricians and installers need to be aware that the Wiring Regulations do not provide detailed guidance on the installation and fixing means of cables. It is imperative that each cable is assessed appropriately to ascertain the unique method by which that cable should be fixed.
The case is a reminder of how quickly safe working conditions can be compromised, whether as a result of negligence – for example, not properly following the regulations – or as a result of outside interference in an environment – for example, theft of cables. Any suspicious activity should always be reported and a robust assessment of all possible resulting risks should be performed where possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
No regs book but in part 2 (definitions) it will detail that all works carried out will need to be done by a skilled (trained) individual.

This means a person who can produce evidence of this on a court of law.

Anyway he should not of used a connector block when he could of used an MF (box which allow you to join cables that are not accessible. Section 5

Ashley do one

It was really stupid to put anything above a fuse board.

But what is done, is done.

What should of happened though is a test of the cable as it has been altered by the presence of a connector block,

Making sure data from a previous test (if you have one) is equal or in reasonable acceptable levels.

BS7671 is not statutory anyway.

Personally I would ask them to have the circuit tested by an electrician and put in an MF (maintenance free) box that will comply with the regulations (BS7671 amended 2015)

Sounds like an accident that just needs to be put right :)

I've had a sparky out to look at it. He basically said the same as some of you guys on here.

That the block/connection needs to accessible for inspection. It can't be inspected as it is because it has a tamper proof alarm box over the top of it!

I'll be phoning the alarm company on Tuesday

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

@Mick

Would I be correct in thinking that although not ideal to have CU, FCU, Alarm panel and keypad in such close proximity to each other there is nothing in regs that say they can't?

Last edited by a moderator:
Regs book is in the office so I can't be 100% but of the top of my head

Segregation of band 1 and 2 cables (our mains power = low voltage) (alarms, networks, data, etc = extra low voltage)

50mm is the spacing

But that is for cables I'm not sure about the controls, I would revert to manufacturers instruction.

Or look in bs5839, that might have information also on minimum distances.

I will have a look on Tuesday, but it will be in section 5 of the BS7671.

How deep is that @Mick ? Can it be plastered over? 30mm seems a bit deep?

That is why they are maintenance free as the connections must be done correctly.

And yes you can plaster over them and not worry about the connections just make sure anything they put in that will be hidden in the wall has the MF logo on it :)

Regards
Mick

It takes a pretty special person to put the main control box right above the main fuse board, sounds like a donkey did the install, and considering its all wireless its pretty hard to go wrong.

Have you heard anything back from the install company?

It takes a pretty special person to put the main control box right above the main fuse board, sounds like a donkey did the install, and considering its all wireless its pretty hard to go wrong.

Have you heard anything back from the install company?
Yes mate. They came back with a proper electrician this morning.

The electrician agreed that it wasn't right

They are coming back next friday to remove the alarm so the electrician can sort the wiring and get someone to re-plaster the wall.

The main alarm box is being installed in the room above the hallway, that happens to be the built in wardrobe. The old airing cupboard.

As a show of good will, the guy that owns the alarm company has offered to install the mobile allert/control addon for the alarm. This extra should cost approx £150. I'm getting it for free

At the minute I'm quite pleased with the outcome/response from the company!

Will I still feel the same next Friday??? I will let you know... lol

Cheers
DiGG

Sounds like they are rectifying a genuine mistake. If they deliver what they have promised then that's a result :)

Sounds like they are rectifying a genuine mistake. If they deliver what they have promised then that's a result :)
He seemed really genuine to be honest mate. He couldn't apologies enough.

What happens is the minion fuc ks up and tries a botch to cover his ars e then when the boss finds out he puts it right. He will deal with the minion lol.

It was the owner that actually botched the wiring after the minion fooked up....

At least he's trying to make ammends. I'll be watching them like a hawk though!

Back