network?

avantgardy

Member +
Reaction score
A noob question I'm afraid

I'm about to order an openbox. Do I have to keep it connected to my modem as my modem is in a different room? If it needs to be connected can I stick something in it to make it wireless?

Thanks in advance

A noob question I'm afraid

I'm about to order an openbox. Do I have to keep it connected to my modem as my modem is in a different room? If it needs to be connected can I stick something in it to make it wireless?

Thanks in advance

two things you can use if you can not hardwire to router
i a pair of homeplugs /network plugs you need a pair as you connect one with ethernet cable to your box and the other you connect with ethernet cable to your router you connect them to your electric mains plug sockets and send your network that way
or you can use a wi-fi bridge connect to usb port and set up on pc to talk to your network
two options for you search the bay for costs and see what they look like
or you can always run a long ethernet cable from box to router

Thanks
Is this what you mean?

Solwise PL-85PE-TWIN 85Mbps HomePlug Adapter (Twin Pack) - NET-PL-85PE-TWIN_MK2

Pushes the price up a bit. I'll keep looking though.

two things you can use if you can not hardwire to router
i a pair of homeplugs /network plugs you need a pair as you connect one with ethernet cable to your box and the other you connect with ethernet cable to your router you connect them to your electric mains plug sockets and send your network that way
or you can use a wi-fi bridge connect to usb port and set up on pc to talk to your network
two options for you search the bay for costs and see what they look like
or you can always run a long ethernet cable from box to router

Hi

There is also the Vonet wifi bridge. A lot of people have used these with the Opnebox S9 with no problems. Check on ebay you can pick these up for £25.

Thats it, but just be careful as you are subject to performance issues due to channel saturation and interference etc from other sources.

The data that is passed to the receiver is relatively small, but you need to have a good solid wireless signal to your router or AP.

I've ordered the Open box and wireless bridge. Thanks for the advice and help. I'll be on again when I get stuck trying to get it to work.

I've also got a sly+ box , a dreambox500c and an old ntl cable box. Can I sell them?

I've ordered the Open box and wireless bridge. Thanks for the advice and help. I'll be on again when I get stuck trying to get it to work.

I've also got a sly+ box , a dreambox500c and an old ntl cable box. Can I sell them?

Sly+ are ten a penny now, probably about £20, ntl cable box i doubt, dreambox are about £35 new now anyway.

Last edited:
I got my wifi bridge today and my openbox is waiting for me at work. I'll let you know how it goes. It cost £80 so it's probably a clone I imagine.

just do the clone test before flashing and if it is a clone use the software that is already loaded because if you are using 28.E then I have not noticed any improvement with any firmware in fact the 3 boxes i have are on last years firmware

edogg

I've plugged it in, scanned the sattelite, worked out the boxkey and got my sly card working (hasn't run out yet) I've put the wifi bridge in the back and set network to dhcp. How do I know if the bridge is working?

I'm pleased with this box BTW, picture is very good. Light blue buttons with white writing is killing my eyes though.

what is the bridge for?
I am not at all knowledgeable about these !!what are they supposed to do?

edogg

if you are using your own sly card in the box, you dont need it to be wireless, its only if you want to network your card to other openboxes etc

one point i would make is, does the openbox update the sly card? i'm sure they dont, so you will need to put the sly card back in to your slybox once a month.

It's to make the openbox wireless. I can't put the box near my PC so it goes into the ethernet socket and sends a signal. I don't know how to find out if it actually works.

Vap11G - Wifi Bridge Dreambox Dm800 - Wireless | eBay UK

looks like this.

well if you are using your own card you dont need to connect to the internet you only need to do that if you have a C line or like satpink says to share your card to other boxes. To find the bridge you could try logging into you router from your computer and on the config page there should be something like devices connected in the menu or use the program from the firmware for ftp connection to connect to the openbox

edogg

and keep hold of you old cable dreambox you never know you might decide later to use it for c/s bin the rest

well if you are using your own card you dont need to connect to the internet you only need to do that if you have a C line or like satpink says to share your card to other boxes. To find the bridge you could try logging into you router from your computer and on the config page there should be something like devices connected in the menu or use the program from the firmware for ftp connection to connect to the openbox

edogg

I intend to use a c line when my sub finishes next month. At the moment I'm using my sly box until it does finish. I was just testing the openbox

I intend to use a c line when my sub finishes next month. At the moment I'm using my sly box until it does finish. I was just testing the openbox

can you connect the openbox using a network cable to your router direct for when you need to that is the best way otherwise when you have the bridge connected and have entered a Cline the box will try and connect but i am not sure if it can use the usb port as a internet connection port the network cable is by far the most reliable way

edogg

Back