Network Nightmare

Wiz

Senior Member +
Reaction score
Ok here goes,

I have three base units and a laptop. Orig the laptop was providing internet connection for all other units. Now i have broadband(b/b) i'm trying to set up internet sharing via this means instead. B/B is installed on base 1.

The problem i have is keeping file sharing and getting b/b to other machines at the same time. To get internet sharing i have to let win assign ip addys auto, but it knocks out file sharing, if i assign man ie 10.1.0.1 etc and enable netbios on base 1, i can file share but not b/b share.......HELP

Told u on page 2 or sumtin that IP addresses need to be automatically assigned when using ICS :) But glad that it's sorted now.

I did originally dude, had all that set up but no file share to b/b base as i explained - or tho i did :):). So set up so i could file share to all units for time being with manual ip addy's - but when put back to auto kicked in this time for some reason???

Seems to be a thing even Microsoft couldn't explain :)
Prolly tcp/ip stack was kind of clogged or stuck and got free because of that adress change.

Thing was tho when i first set it up with auto addy';s the base with b/b was assigned a manual ip addy and the other units sharing the b/b were assigned auto ones....but then they coud'nt do file share....don't know but i did have all firewalls going when i set it up and yes they were disabled when i re set it up......

When i got home last nite...having not touched me pc all day...left on tho..a ip addy had been assigned to the b/b base unit meaning ob no file share access from my other units??????....feel like i'm livin in the twighlight zone at times you know....??

When i got home last nite...having not touched me pc all day...left on tho..a ip addy had been assigned to the b/b base unit meaning ob no file share access from my other units??????....feel like i'm livin in the twighlight zone at times you know....??

What was the IP address assigned to the b/b unit, and who assigned it ? :)
Maybe your DHCP lease time was expired and you were reassigned an IP address by your ISP
automatically shortly before it expired. Still wouldn't explain the "No file share" thing though.

With the new IP address you cannot access the b/b unit from the two other boxes ?
Does Internet work on both other computers ?
Does a bear shit in the woods...erm ?

errmmmm, yep i can smell it from here :)
1. IP Address assigned:192.168.0.1, don't know who assigned - one of the kids i expect...feckers :)
2.With the new IP address you cannot access the b/b unit from the two other boxes ? Yes - but only file share - b/b(internet access is ok).
3.Does Internet work on both other computers ? Yes.
4.mmmmm......smelly smelly....

errmmmm, yep i can smell it from here
1. IP Address assigned:192.168.0.1, don't know who assigned - one of the kids i expect...feckers
2.With the new IP address you cannot access the b/b unit from the two other boxes ? Yes - but only file share - b/b(internet access is ok).
3.Does Internet work on both other computers ? Yes.
4.mmmmm......smelly smelly....

192.168.0.1 is the standard IP assigned to the ICS host, so if anyone to be blamed it's Windows :)

Answer to question 2 slightly confuses me. Yes-but only fileshare and internet ok ?
Assume filesharing is not working from those to boxes to the fecking base unit ?

Internet working ok is aight, then we know the network connection is there and working,
so it's either down to a frozen IP stack or some access rights.

What i would suggest:
Change b/b unit IP to a fixed one, then reboot b/b unit, change IP address to be automatically assigned and see if that does the trick. If yes, we have to reset your
tcp/ip protocol which will be fun :)

Back