Network Nightmare

Wiz

Senior Member +
Reaction score
Ok here goes,

I have three base units and a laptop. Orig the laptop was providing internet connection for all other units. Now i have broadband(b/b) i'm trying to set up internet sharing via this means instead. B/B is installed on base 1.

The problem i have is keeping file sharing and getting b/b to other machines at the same time. To get internet sharing i have to let win assign ip addys auto, but it knocks out file sharing, if i assign man ie 10.1.0.1 etc and enable netbios on base 1, i can file share but not b/b share.......HELP

Connecting via hub atm, router soon....using 10.0.1.1 etc atm for file sharing, can only get b/b if i let obtain ip addy auto.....then no file share???

No h/m modem firewall i think....have told zonealarm all about network addy's :)

Yep running wizard...all correct i think :)

First thing is to switch off any firewall running, especially the windows internal Internet Connection Firewall for any network connections on any of those 3 computers involved in this drama :p

Then assign static IP's to the two machines behind your lappy and check if they can ping all computers in the shared network environment. Lemme know results m8 :)

Just for my info:

Can you post the complete ipconfig/all of all 3 machines ?

Wiz said:
Yep running wizard...all correct i think :)

Look at the pictures...lol

So you run the wizard and you can share files, but no BB.... So have you right clicked the connection and enabled sharing on the bb ? And are ALL firewalls disabled while you do this, even the silly xp one cos everytime you run the wizard then it enables itself again :(

Figure it's a firewall/rules related problem, so i want them completely outta the way :)
But disabling firewalls if there is any trouble wth network resources is a lways the first thing to do :)

Aight, FW off, shring enabled on all conenctions, File and Printersharing active on all connections as well i guess ?

What happens with all FW off, when you ping the machines.
Ping A from B and C
Ping B from A and C
Ping C from B and A

Since ICS should be active they should be replying with a proper response rather then "Request timed out"

If possible pls post ipconfigs of those boxes here

might as well post the Network Wizard log, or send me via PM
look in the Network Setup Wizard log file for errors in any steps that are not followed by successful operations. To open the log, click Start, click Run, type %SystemRoot%\nsw.log, and then press ENTER.

Back