Network Nightmare

Wiz

Senior Member +
Reaction score
Ok here goes,

I have three base units and a laptop. Orig the laptop was providing internet connection for all other units. Now i have broadband(b/b) i'm trying to set up internet sharing via this means instead. B/B is installed on base 1.

The problem i have is keeping file sharing and getting b/b to other machines at the same time. To get internet sharing i have to let win assign ip addys auto, but it knocks out file sharing, if i assign man ie 10.1.0.1 etc and enable netbios on base 1, i can file share but not b/b share.......HELP

What about that ping thing ?

Open command prompt and type ping <ip_address_of_target_system_here>
and see if it replies.
Do that from every machine to every machine.

What happens if you connect only one other pc to the b/b lappy ?

Here's what to check :)

0. ping each other
1. netbios over tcpip is enabled
2. wins setting is blank
3. workstation service is running
4. server service is running
5. guest account is enabled
6. folders have been shared with proper share-level permissions, e.g. fullcontrol -> everyone
7. folders have been set with proper NTFS-level permissions, e.g. fullcontrol -> everyone

if you still have problems, please post your 'ipconfig /all' results of both computers at here.

Bad Karma[CORE] said:
Here's what to check :)

0. ping each other
1. netbios over tcpip is enabled
2. wins setting is blank
3. workstation service is running
4. server service is running
5. guest account is enabled
6. folders have been shared with proper share-level permissions, e.g. fullcontrol -> everyone
7. folders have been set with proper NTFS-level permissions, e.g. fullcontrol -> everyone

if you still have problems, please post your 'ipconfig /all' results of both computers at here.

Workststion service??
Server service??
Guest account??

Services to be found in Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services
Just check if the services in question are started

How to enable Simple Filesharing

1. Open "My Computer" from the Start Menu or Windows XP Desktop. A new My Computer window will appear.

2. Open the "Tools" menu and choose the "Folder Options..." option from this menu. A new Folder Options window will appear.

3. Click on the "View" tab and locate the "Use Simple File Sharing (Recommended)" checkbox in the list of Advanced Settings.

4. To enable Simple File Sharing, ensure this checkbox is checked. To disable Simple File Sharing, ensure this checkbox is not checked. Click inside the checkbox to alternately enable and disable the option.

5. Click OK to close the Folder Options window. The settings for Simple File Sharing are now updated; no computer reboot is required.

It's workin m8......whew.....what a job....recon it was prob the firewalls in the first instance doin a good blockin job but when i re-set the ip to detect auto...the b/b share kicked in automatically but kept file shareing this time....cheers bud...have some Karma :):):):):):):)

Back