network/internet sharing

hatab

VIP Member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give me a hand ?

i have a network with a server running win2000 server and 3 clients running win2000 profesional and 1 running winxp sp2

1 win2000 client is connected to the internet with the cable modem using a usb port.

i have sygate firewall on this machine with rules set to allow some of the other machines access to the internet machine for file/print sharing through the network.

all is running well

what i want to do is allow internet sharing for the other machines in a very limited way ie just to upgrade windows and av software. so a router is well over the top as they will access the i/net max of once a month.

for the exercise of setting up i disabled the firewall, selected internet sharing on the netcard in the internet machine and checked ip add now auto set to 192.168.0.1 i have reset all othe ips on network to be 192.168.0.2/3/4 and 5 all machines still see each other. i have set default gateway as 192.168.0.1 on these machines but heres the but i cant see www from the other machines.

what have i missed ?

yes i will do that once i get it going but at mo the other machines cant get to www even though i think ive set it all up.

You could use a ADSL router that you can plug in your RJ11 connector straight to the filter at the phone connection , this will give all the systems internet access but you can set up access control lists from within the router that will enable/deny internet access or protocols to any of your clents or server , the other reason for using the router would be that this device will run the services such as DHCP or DNS rather than using the server or one of the clients for this

Hatab m8, not sure if this will work but it worked for me with the router as gateway...no reason why not for u too.

Setup client 1 with a static ip addy, ie 192.168.1.1 make sure this works ok on internet and network. Then setup clients for this network addy. so 192.168.1.2 etc..gateway as 192.168.1.1 and in the next box down enter this as the preferable ip as well on each client.

Hope works for u too m8ty :)

Regards

Hi

Hi m8,

is ICS protocol bound to everything it needs to be? I was looking at a similar setup the other day and ICS seemed to bound i think to the NIC and the cable modem on the USB port. I'll have another look later if u don't get sorted in the mean time :)

hi wiz, yes m8 thats basically what ive done

hi robac i am running win2000 i think that ics is only xp ? maybe be wrong.

in the network properties on the machine with cable modem there is tab for sharing i/net when u select this it automatically re-assignes the ip of the netcard to 192.168.0.1 i assume it then binds this to the tcpip as there is nowt else.
talked to sticky he thinks it is ip/fowarding needs to be enabled.....but for the life of me i cant find the box to put the tick in........LOL computers eh who'ed have em

What are the other machines connecting thru m8..switch?? If so port forwarding is done auto...thats all the switch is really...and yes ics is win me/xp only..just as well really :)

On a router u can enable port forwarding thru the setup...as i say handled auto otherwise...

Regards

Me

Hi

Found this while i wasn't too busy earlier :)

h**p://www.petri.co.il/configuring_ics_on_windows_2000.htm

Have a look and see if it sheds any light,

Happy Birthday :Cheers:

Hi

It looks as though NAT is the preferred method, have you tried that way?

thanks for the info everone, ill have a look oveer the weekend sometime im a bit to pi**ed to bugger about with machines now . :Cheers: :Cheers: :Cheers:

ill report back on how i get on.

thanks mairy, that looks very interetsing gotta go back out to work now but have bookmarked that web address will study that later.

hi mairy just the ticket :)

installed no problems, help files very useful, with some interesting bits and pieces 1 of which was about usb cable modems. it gives a good explination why u should use ethernet connection rather than usb if u can. and not use all the crappy (bloatware) software that isps make u load. when i signed up to ntl some time ago i installed to a disk with just xp on did all registering etc loaded all there stuff then dumped system and just installed drivers for modem.

in away its doing exactly what i want , ive downloaded demo which u cant load as a service so i have to manually start so i know when the other machines will have access, the only problem is the 60 min cut off.

if u dont mind me asking how have u got your firewall setup(if any) i mean in relation to the other machines on your network, have u installed on each machine ?

thanks again, good util

I only have the firewall on the Main PC, I have done port scans etc, but the main PC blocks them.

I use ZA, and if you want you can add a firewall on to the other PC's.

I thought that software was so good I actually, wait for it.....you sitting down....bought it:):)

sorry was that a typo :)

i didnt think those words were alowed in the same sentance ........

i have just updated av software on 2 of the machines and its working ok :)

add the 192.168.0.1 to the primary dns as well to each pc as well as gateway adress

Back