NetGear WGR614v9 Virgin ! firmware upgrade

Rs2k_Rider

DW's Resident Medic
Reaction score
Hi peeps,

I have a Virgin WGR614v9 router I got off ebay... and I can not seem to flash newer firmware on it..... !

There is no "check for update" under router upgrade.

I have downloaded the newest firmware from netgears site, and it does not allow you to upload it.

I have also tried a few tools with no luck !

Anyone have any ideas or have done this ?

TIA:Angryfire

Afaik, they are locked to the VM firmware.

I imagine the only way to fix them will be to physically program the flash chip (dunno if you can jtag them or not).

btw, dont use the firmwares off the US Netgear support site. They are usually not meant for UK routers.

Last edited:
Afaik, they are locked to the VM firmware.

I imagine the only way to fix them will be to physically program the flash chip (dunno if you can jtag them or not).

btw, dont use the firmwares off the US Netgear support site. They are usually not meant for UK routers.

Cheers for reply mate,

getting firmware from here Answer

have selected uk english, still takes same place.

:( hope can flash it, if not its going in the bin.

where else but netgear are you gonna get the firmware upgrade i got mine from here, same place...hasnt improved anything though still think netgear are rubbish......select the bottom one

Answer

where else but netgear are you gonna get the firmware upgrade i got mine from here, same place...hasnt improved anything though still think netgear are rubbish......select the bottom one

Answer

is yours a virgin supplied/branded router though ?

is yours a virgin supplied/branded router though ?
nah m8...i got mine privately form local paper....mind you he did say it was from virgin but never had any virgin branding on it..perhaps i was lucky....lol

nah m8...i got mine privately form local paper....mind you he did say it was from virgin but never had any virgin branding on it..perhaps i was lucky....lol

yea, if it not got virgin branding not a virgin one mate.

you would know from the log in user name... the netgear firmware is no good for the virgin branded ones sadly... as said in first post :(

trying to find a way round it..... but no joy soon gonna just bin it.

My vimin "branded" router, does not say virmin anywhere on it. only way to check, is to press the reset button. if its a "virmin" router the user name will be virgin pass admin. not sure what the Netgear codes are, there is a good list linked here (forum) somewhere. from my, limited knowledge, the firmware is different.

For the older VM wgr614v6 (FCC Id: PY305100002) routers the BoardId should apparently be U12H042T00_NETGEAR to allow for standard firmware update.

Last edited:
does this router support the DDWRT firmware

does this router support the DDWRT firmware

Yes, but only if you program it directly onto the chip. The device apparently doesn't have jtag and the firmware for "update" mode doesn't yet exist.

Back