Sensible Topic ADVICE - Ditching my Virgin Media contract and switching to another name/new customer?

bilabonic

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi All

My parents are struggling with their Virgin Media Payments,
It is now up to £62 for the basic package- TV, landline, Internet (they have no interest ins speed, they only browse/send emails eyc).

I presume the contact is under a named person, not the address.

I seen on here tey are doing the basic package for under £20 for NEW customers only.

The contract is currently under my fathers name, can i not just switch it to my mothers name and be a new customer and get the deal?

Thanks Peeps.

The contract is currently under my fathers name, can i not just switch it to my mothers name and be a new customer and get the deal?

Thanks Peeps.
I know of people who have done this but obviously you cant just switch it over.

Your father would have to end his contract.
Once it has ended then your mother can take out a new account.
There will be a bit of a gap between ending the contract and the new account starting.

I know of people who have done this but obviously you cant just switch it over.

Your father would have to end his contract.
Once it has ended then your mother can take out a new account.
There will be a bit of a gap between ending the contract and the new account starting.

Yea i suspect that , plus no doubt they are midway through a 12 month contract??

I suspect they will try to hit them with an exit fee, plus it's their equipment they will ant returned, then they charge for an 'Engineer' to come out and simply replace old box's for new?

Basically making it as difficult as ever, i have not checked their prices yet for new customers yet, i just seen an email a few days ago from MSE which had something for £18.99........

Anyway i NEED to reduce this bill for them, they also usd to be with Sky, that was also under my fatrgers name do that could just be set up as well as a new customer.

They are not concerned at all about losing a few days internet/TV tbh.

They honestly just can not afford it although they love it....

Cheers mate

Phone virgin 150 and enplane that they cannot afford it and see how much they will reduce the bill , (always works for me) and ask now many moths is left on their contract as they are thinking about going to another provider as its to expensive for there income ect

Plus tell then that you have just been paid off from work and struggling

Worth a phone call never know if you don't try :)

Phone virgin 150 and enplane that they cannot afford it and see how much they will reduce the bill , (always works for me) and ask now many moths is left on their contract as they are thinking about going to another provider as its to expensive for there income ect

Plus tell then that you have just been paid off from work and struggling

Worth a phone call never know if you don't try :)

I tried this for my mum. It was the worst phone call ever. They did everything to put us off, made clicking noises, pretended to not hear us, mumbled everything. They finally did listen but she is worse off now than before and only £10 better off.... Trying to get her to go somewhere else for a year then go back, but she won't do it.

This is only negotiable though if your contract is due to expire (which i assume this isnt the case here) or if they have hit you with a mid-term price increase.

I threatend to leave this year when my contract was up and got a good saving.
But if you are half way through you contract then you will have to pay a termination fee.

@bilabonic
Normaly if your property is hooked up to the green cabinet they will post the equipment out to you so you can fit them yourself so there should be no need for an engineer.
They also send prepaid packaging to return your old equipment.
There will be a 1 off connection fee though should your mother take out a new contract.
If they are still mid-term though i would jusr sit it out until there contract is due to expire.

This thread got me thinking about doing something about my bill again. Just noticed that my broadband only bill has gone up £3-50 for October and November. I'm sure I never had an email informing me.
Problem is I can't really speak on the phone at the moment, might try the chat instead.

£54-50 for 350M broadband only

EDIT........They did inform me about the increase, I just found the email. Enough is enough. I am now paying £17 a month more than I was 2 years ago.

Last edited:
This is only negotiable though if your contract is due to expire (which i assume this isnt the case here) or if they have hit you with a mid-term price increase.

But if you are half way through you contract then you will have to pay a termination fee.

@bilabonic
Normaly if your property is hooked up to the green cabinet they will post the equipment out to you so you can fit them yourself so there should be no need for an engineer.
There will be a 1 off connection fee though should your mother take out a new contract.
If they are still mid-term though i would jusr sit it out until there contract is due to expire.

N dount they are mid term and not 30 days from the end of their contract.I hink the best way to proceed id for me to ring pretending to be my father, find a similar scheme on MSE and simply say i'm can not afford it, just finished work, pensioners, less income THEN come up with a price i can afford, no dount they will check and come back with our internet is the fastest,,blah blah.

What price should i say i can afford ?

@bilabonic

There is no upfront connection fee and you get £75 credited to your account with the Martin Lewis blagged deal but it does run out on the 7th November.

Got anytime calls, 100 mega internet, basic TV £39 plus £19 line rental (paid yearly). Phoned to renew line rental and was told the had stopped that , went onto retentions and Scottish lass rejigged account for me , now pay £35.99 for month which includes line rental. £190 approx a year saving.

A Little Tip for you If hey had a Letter or Email saying there £2 price increase tell them to phone up Virgin and Threaten to Cancel. They will then do a good offer. Just say you seen an offer for SKY for X amount they will match it. If not just tell them to cancel. I can assure you they will Bombard your dad with calls to stay. (dont cancel straight away normally 30 days)

Also with the £2 price increase they can cancel there contract PENALTY FREE (important) so try that route. (if they want to try someone else)

Gaz

My deal recently ended and they increased mine up by £18 to £78 per month. You basically have to ring their India call center and haggle a new deal every year. I usually threaten to cancel the tv package. Its a pain to do this every year but have mine down to £60 that TV full house with BT Sport and 100mb broadband + landline caller display.

A Little Tip for you If hey had a Letter or Email saying there £2 price increase tell them to phone up Virgin and Threaten to Cancel. They will then do a good offer. Just say you seen an offer for SKY for X amount they will match it. If not just tell them to cancel. I can assure you they will Bombard your dad with calls to stay. (dont cancel straight away normally 30 days)

Also with the £2 price increase they can cancel there contract PENALTY FREE (important) so try that route. (if they want to try someone else)

Gaz

Cheers mate, what do you mean by 'don't cancel straight away normally 30 days'.

Are you referring to the fact that you can cancel 30 before the deal ends?

If so the £x amount increase they had supersedes this, PLUS i have not rang yet as their contracts expires on the 12th of December, so i can on the 12th or 13th.

They are 100% prepared to cancel and take out a new policy in Mothers name, no one seems to know if that can be done.

If they don't offer a deal do they cut you off immediately ? and then bombard you with calls??

Cheers

No when you cancel you have still got 30 days before they disconnect you as you have paid a month in hand

They are 100% prepared to cancel and take out a new policy in Mothers name, no one seems to know if that can be done.

You can, I was told to do this last week by the guy in my local Virgin Media store. I enquired that I didn't think you were able to do this anymore and he said it's not a problem.
He told me when my current deal expires, in february, then just cancel with VM over the phone. He then said just pop into the store and they'll set me up a new deal in my partners name. No probs being in her name as its on the name, not the property.

You can, I was told to do this last week by the guy in my local Virgin Media store. I enquired that I didn't think you were able to do this anymore and he said it's not a problem.
He told me when my current deal expires, in february, then just cancel with VM over the phone. He then said just pop into the store and they'll set me up a new deal in my partners name. No probs being in her name as its on the name, not the property.

Wow, i wonder if there is a set up charge etc, BET there is, plus returning your old equipment, my parents have 2 boxs a TV and net one..lol

I still have not checked how it is atm for new customers, i'll ring the mega store tomorrow.

Returning your old equipment they send you the box and paper work to send it back to them , think you just hand it in to the post office

Returning your old equipment they send you the box and paper work to send it back to them , think you just hand it in to the post office

I'm going for the full cancel i think, stuff it, nothing to lose,,,,I need to find out what the price is for new customers/installation costs etc.

Back