Mysql & PHP training

telsave

DW Member +
Reaction score
Hi Mates

I need to learn mysql and PHP and am looking for one on one training, so my question is this, is there anyone out there who could offer me training with a view to me being able to develop dynamic websites using them.

I would be willing to travel up to 50 miles of Newcastle upon tyne for the right guidance and of course pay for the time spent learning. I could go to one of our colleges but feel one-on-one training is faster.

I need help.

cheers

I use mysql all the time at work writing queries, It's dead easy once you get your head around the data base and the tables, it's an AS400/IBM system so with it being from the yanks then the DOB fields are all around the wrong way but dropping them into excel and a simple formula in there and a pivot table then your good to go with a chart. other tables and files are all right just the DOB's of course.

There's bound to be loads of free courses out there online?

it's all about the "more than" "greater than" and "less than" etc etc when your writing them and once you know where the data is then your good to go as long as you can see the data headers and you know which tables have the data in your want, but you can just run a simple report in a specific table that will just show you all the fields and then narrow it down from there.

There's lots of bolt on stuff if you fancy something where you have a gui and it's all point and click and that, crystal reports, just connect it to your data base and then do all your queries in there. have a look for it, it's probably the way forward along with CRM systems, rather than the old GOB.

As for your PHP, just have to get your head around the installs, I was signed up to a web site that offered free PHP, pearl hosting so you could play with as many installs and mods as you wanted, I'll try and dig it out I have it some where. created some neat CS server that would show all the "hits" on a java based mannequin that you could scroll around and that along with data tables. it was quite neat at the time.

What are you wanting to gain? DB query? or just simple SQL connections and data extraction?

Last edited:
Hi Mowax

Thanks for trying to help

I appreciate that once you get the thing set up it will all begin to make sense.

My problem is getting the basics to work.

I have used wamp to introduce the settings and have followed instructions in a book called 'Sitepoint build your own database driven website using PHP and MySQL'.

This is what has happened.

If I run the query 'mysqadmin', I get the welcome output - mysql version 8.42 distribution 5.5.16 for win 32 on X86 etc.
If I run the query 'mysqladmin -u root status' again I get the correct output
If I run the query 'mysqladmin -u root -p again I get the output showing everything works
If I run the query 'mysqladmin -u root -p status' I get 'mysqladmin connect to server 'localhost' failed' error Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password 'YES')

Following the book I then enter 'mysqladmin -u root -p password(eAc2c8Bd74Dd) to change the password. When I enter the query again it asks for password and I enter as shown here and I get the same error as before as if the password is not working.
If I enter the query 'mysql' I get the output showing everything is OK
If I enter the query 'mysql -u root -p status' I get -> on the next line showing it is waiting for a command and I clear this command request using '\c'

Is there anyway I can get it to accept the password as above?

My main reason for wanting to learn MYSQL is that presently I write all my web site pages using Dreamweaver and HTML saving as a'PHP' file normally. However I help a charity of European Counsellors and their Website is currently using an old version of Joomla which is controlled by another company who charge them a fortune if they ask a question and the third party company are obviously just selling them white label hosting. Recently they decided they would like a register of European Counsellors and the only way I could give them one was to create a link from their website to one of mine where I created 'http://eacnews.net/directory/directory.php', from there you can select country and then individual counsellor.

If I get knocked down by the proverbial bus, no one could maintain the register, so what I want to do is to create a new web site for them where there is a simple input screen for their news content which can be saved to various pages just as you can with Joomla and they can call down a template so that anyone can input a counsellors details and save it to the correct section of the register held on their webpage instead of linking to mine as they do now.

The first stage would be to go direct to a hosting company to register their DNS to take them away from the existing situation, but I cannot do this before constructing a working model that can be placed under their URL when it is taken under their control. The whole process has to be simple as no one on the Executive is even slightly computer literate believing all software should be like the proprietry software available off the shelf. I should say of course that they have no money to go out to a third party to have all this designed for them, and I am totally self taught when it comes to coding or website design.

Hey this is turning into my life history but that is the background.

cheers and thanks again for trying to help.

Can you give us a bit more detail about your setup i.e. versions and who hosts the server?

If you use the newsgroups have a look for the Lynda.com video courses, there's lots on Mysql & PHP. They are excellent courses and will take you from the beginning stages through to advanced. They are very easy to follow and normally come with example files to help you.

These things can cost a fortune, but free from the newsgroups and other good places.

Hi Him Her
mysqladmin ver 8.42
mysql ver 5.5.16
hostgator host the server via Daviddutch.com

Hope this helps
Cheers

I assume that changing the password would affect other things? I would start by creating a test user with full access to the database and running the commands again - eliminate the possibility that the root user has some limitations you are unaware of.

If you use the newsgroups have a look for the Lynda.com video courses, there's lots on Mysql & PHP. They are excellent courses and will take you from the beginning stages through to advanced. They are very easy to follow and normally come with example files to help you.

These things can cost a fortune, but free from the newsgroups and other good places.

Thanks for the info, i'm trying to learn some PHP at work so will grab some of these videos from nzb :)

Hi Him Her thanks for the heads up I will set up another uer a check irt out.

cheers

Hi Captain thanks for help I have sourced some video training from basic through to advanced so will work through these.

cheers

Back