My pipes have frozen, can i do anything

Paul-K

Inactive User
Reaction score
We got up this morning and there was no water, we where told to keep the heating on (it not been off for days) anyone got any ideas the council don't seem that bothered..

only thing i can think of is find where the pipes come in the house follow them till you find a frozen bit then cover it with towel
if you have any water in kettle boil it and soak tea towel the wrap that round
the frozen bit
dont put hot water straight on pipes what ever you do

only thing i can think of is find where the pipes come in the house follow them till you find a frozen bit then cover it with towel
if you have any water in kettle boil it and soak tea towel the wrap that round
the frozen bit
dont put hot water straight on pipes what ever you do

Looks like im stuffed as i cant get to them, thanks anyway :)

A frozen pipe is also an emergency, because this will cause it to burst causing thawed water to come pouring from the break. The following steps describe what you should do as soon as you discover a frozen pipe:

1. Turn off the water supply
Turn off the main stop tap. You should find this under the kitchen sink or where the service pipe enters your home.
2. Turn off the stopcock in your cold water tank if you have one, it's usually found in the attic or loft.

A frozen pipe is also an emergency, because this will cause it to burst causing thawed water to come pouring from the break. The following steps describe what you should do as soon as you discover a frozen pipe:

Turn off the main stop tap. You should find this under the kitchen sink or where the service pipe enters your home.
2. Turn off the stopcock in your cold water tank if you have one, it's usually found in the attic or loft.

The water board said the same as above, but the council said dont just leave the cold water taps open, i think i'll turn it off, thanks again

Id say from what is described that its the supply pipe thats frozen ??

if not, then its the supply to the water tank..

Either way I would turn off the supply at the stop cock mate.

hi mate, im a heating enginner

do you have a combi or a system boiler??

i thinking you have a system boiler, do you have a copper hot water cylinder??

Last edited:
hi mate, im a heating enginner

do you have a combi or a system boiler??

i thinking you have a system boiler, do you have a copper hot water cylinder??

We have a back boiler m8 not a combi

Fooking hell Paul mate that's a terrible thing to happen at this time of year!

Your whole christmas can be ruined if you have no running water.

Hope you get it sorted mate.

Could be worse m8, ive got power, heating and loads of lager lol

what you need water for mate?

yer not thinking of washing your glass out and drinking anything other than lager?

tbh mate theres **** aw ye cin do :(

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

so let me get this right, you have no hot or cold water but you still have heating. is this correct

Could be worse m8, ive got power, heating and loads of lager lol

I've just noticed that the other side of my street in in complete darkness!

Looks like they have suffered a power cut.

My heating has been on full for almost 2 weeks, I thought this would have saved me from frozen pipes but after reading about your trouble I'm off to run my taps for a few minutes to get the water moving.

so let me get this right, you have no hot or cold water but you still have heating. is this correct

Yes m8, our heating works off the back boiler so it's constantly going round the system

Thanks for the replies guys and also thanks to beezo for the pm's made Mrs-K feel a lot better :)

wish id seen this early as i had same problem couple of days ago, luckily i had a little bit of water left in the kettle so i turned all the taps on and flushed both toilets until there was no water left so the water could push the ice through the pipe. then i boiled the water in a pan, got a tea towel , dipped in the pan while burning my barsyeward fingers a bit lol and put it round the pipes at the coldest part, after 20 mins of re-heating the towel the waters burst the ise through the pipes and hey bingo, we had water again. this was at 8am in the morn and i desperatly wanted a bath but couldnt as i did this then had to take the misses to work lol

Just a word of warning if you suspect you have a frozen pipe and you have gravity fed hot water from a copper cylinder, when you turn the hot tap on to draw water and the flow is drastically reduced, turn it.. OFF.. immediately, there is a chance that the cylinder could collapse due to the vacuum. left in the cylinder

I talk from experiance

Back