MTB advice

fatspanner

Inactive User
Reaction score
I know a few of you are into your bikes, so i'm looking for a bit of advice.

I'm after a bike that will be mainly used for work and back around 14 miles a day and also occasional light off road use.

A full suspension is probably a waste i think due to the extra weight and not heavy offroad use. So i'm looking at a hardtail.

I've got about £700 to throw at one. Does anyone have any recomendations.?

What do you think of the bikes on this site as i get an extra 15% discount off the prices shown, but i'm happy to buy from anywhere for a decent bike

thebikemarket.com | providing low cost road, mountain, track and triathlon bikes and accessories

Munkey and Mairyhinge are the ones to answer (and another dude who I can't recall, sorry other dude!).

You can get a kick ass hard tail for that cash though.

I am not up on the names of those frames tbh.

If I was to offer any advice it would be do NOT order online until you have actually sat on the thing.

Happy hunting.

I'd opt for a hardtail, weight is important as you'll be covering a few roads and the front suspension is more than what you'll need for the majority of your off road cycling. Maybe something that weighs no more than 23lbs but ideally less. Avoid disc brakes and any other fancy dan features such as springy seats as you don't need them. The most important thing is to have a good frame as you can upgrade everything else later.

I like Kona's as they are exceptionally well built but any decent aluminium frame will get you years of use. If you intend to jump your bike at any stage you may want a decent slope on your top tube.

If you're buying from a shop ask them to change the tyres to semi slicks instead of the 2.3 mud chuckers that come as standard on most bikes these days.

Last edited:
when you say light offroad use what do you mean? I have a hybrid and use it down paths and the odd bridleway (although slightly gingerly depending on its condition). Its not great offroad but on the road it absolutly flies which is where I spend 99% of the time so really its ideal. Its a Sirrus Elite which I picked up just second hand for £360 which I thought was a steal.

Whatever you do check out if your employer does the ride to work scheme and if not bend their ears as its a good way to save some cash when buying if your considering new.

Cheers Guys

I'm liking the look of the Kona Caldera
KONA 2009 - Caldera

but i think i'll take Mozr's advice and get myself down to a store and check them out before ordering on the net.

The hoss looks nice but i'm only 12 stone so i'll probably get away with something a little lighter.

Keep the suggestion coming.

Hi
I think trying a bike first is deffinately the way to go.
I tried My Hybrid at our local bike shop, but it was £70 cheaper online at tredz with free delivery.
Just be aware that they often dont have the bike in stock and you may have to wait a few days to get it,
Also be aware that some online retailers send out bikes as unbuilt!
With tredz all i had to do was straighten the handlebars and attach the pedals.
I was on the road within 10mins of delivery.

Your chosen Kona is here:
Kona Caldera Mountain Bike 2009 - Hardtail Race MTB - Bikes Online - Tredz.co.uk

As someone else on here mentioned the cycle to work scheme will make a diffrence to the price.
We used it on my wifes Hybrid , just get your employer to sign up to it.
It costs them nothing and they get tax releif out of it.
Everybody wins!

Back