Mouse will only power up when connected to usb hub weird problem?

dibbers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
OK, got a dell wired mouse and when this is plugged into the mother board via a usb or usb x 3 port direct then when i restart the computer i have to un-plug it and then plug it back in, if i run the mouse via a usb hub then it works fine, so i can restart and the mouse will power up, i can see as it's an optical one so i see the red light from underneath it.

I also have a m$ keyboard and wireless mouse and this is the same, very sluggish when it's plugged into the mother board direct. all drivers are installed, checked bios, etc, loaded mother board drivers etc etc.

I can't work out why that when the mouse is plugged in direct that it needs to be pulled out and plugged back in again.

This is a new build, gigabyte, so it's not like it's an old one and the version of windows is the one I've used on loads of machines. all drivers installed etc all though it did list it as a "dell optical mouse" when i plugged it into the hub, but just as a "compatible mouse" when it's plugged direct into the board.

I can't figure it? mouse and keyboard and that all works fine on my other machine so it's not hardware or drivers as far as i can see.

it's all mose as though the motherboard seems to get really confused, doesn't know what to do, and sends no power to any USB bus

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Thanks mate, yeah there enabled, i can't do it, no matter what i've tried and that's just about all of it, gone for a fresh install, i can't give the kid the new pc like this, just would not be right. think i should set the bios settings back to default, just installing now mate.

hey what a night mare, fresh install of windows and the mouse will not power up when connected to the back of the machine..... just the keyboard...

the things had me head battered for hours now and finally handed it over to him as HIS mouse worked when it was rebooted and plugged in the back, i have no idea, maybe a i need a break from all of this and should go and play with samba on my dream box for a while until my nerves calm down, where's me pills., !?!?!? the mouse i was using was a dell and when that one was plugged direct to the back and a reboot it wouldn't fire up with out being pulled out and plugged back in, and this showed in device manager as a "generic usb mouse" when it was plugged in the hub then it would show as " dell optical mouse" and on a reboot it would work fine! dang it!

honest, what a trauma that, brand new build for some one and every restart you had to keep pulling the mouse out and back in or use it via a shitty usb hub hanging of the back of a brand new uxb3 pc! shocking! some times windows is sent to try our patience! the devils software....demons within and all that.....

why would a brand spanking new build do that to me! gutted and humiliated by a machine!

The wireless mouse worked for a while and then it came all unresponsive and was a mare to move around, all most like it was starved of power/energy/interference!

Think it's time to put my soldering iron down!

@ dave : on your lap top you haven't got "boot from usb selected" maybe that could be why in your case?

Last edited:
k, was just a thought, that build there was a complete mare that like, never ever experienced such a pish little thing, would have been job done and dusted last night, had everything installed, and of course when everything works on another PC then you start saying "well it's got to work on this one!" dam thing! and you keep on trying and trying, disabling, enabling, disabling, enabling, blah blah blah

If your mate's mouse works, I'd be tempted to blame the Dell mouse.
my boot order is HDD first, will only boot from USB if f12 is pressed to bring up menu.
I had a motherboard that would ignore the boot order, and try to boot from any USB "drive" connected at boot, including my ipod. Annoying to say the least!

Thanks mate, yeah all sorted now, it was just frustrating as hell as the "dell" mouse worked fine on and still does on my computer and when i restart mine it has power to it all the time, goes on and then quickly off when i reboot how ever on that new build it had power to it until the windows loading screen and then it just powered off! was just one of them things that you wanna smash with a hammer, it had no reason to do it, and yet when it was plugged in a USB hub then it would just work fine power off etc back on and even showed as a "dell optical mouse" when plugged into a hub just not the computer! dam thing

All sorted though. thanks

Back