motherwell player dies after collapse

MFCGMFC

Inactive User
Reaction score
Puts it in perspective...

hey all

During the Motherwell v Dundee Utd game today Motherwell captian Phil O'Donnell collapsed
apparently he had a seizure. i aint heard anything concrete but as far as i know he passed away i really really really hope this is wrong he is a fantastic player. One minute he was passing the ball tehn as he was going to get subbed he collapsed

Captain Courageous

the stadium just fell silent whilst he was on the ground chants of "One Phil O'Donnell" rang around the ground my thoughts are with him and his family

please dont let the rumour be true

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

just been confirmed on radio and tv he passed away in hospital

its running across the bottom of Setanta News Channel he's only young early to mid 30's

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Thats so very sad, genuinely shocked by that

Last edited:
the place went totally silent he was a great captain he won the cup with us in 91 wen he was a fresh faced youngster now as the old head in the youthful team ffs i never want to see anything like that again thats twice i've people die at the football a couple of years ago a guy took a heart attack right infront of me when i was about 9-10

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Condolences to his family. May he RIP.

_44326336_philodonnell203.jpg

Motherwell captain Phil O'Donnell has died after collapsing towards the end of his side's Scottish Premier League game against Dundee United.
The 35-year-old midfielder fell to the ground just as he was about to be replaced with Marc Fitzpatrick near the end of Motherwell's 5-3 victory.

O'Donnell was treated for around five minutes on the field before being taken to a waiting ambulance.

But his death was later confirmed by Well chairman Bill Dickie.

Motherwell manager Mark McGhee had spoken briefly to the press after the game before going to hospital to find out how the skipper was.

We took Clarkson off because he got a fright from the nature of the collapse

Motherwell manager Mark McGhee

"He's had some sort of collapse," he said.

McGhee said O'Donnell's substitution had been "an absolute coincidence" before his sudden collapse.

"We just felt we would save him a bit for Wednesday," said the manager.

O'Donnell's nephew, David Clarkson, was substituted moments later after scoring two goals in the Scottish Premier League match.

McGhee said: "We took Clarkson off because he got a fright from the nature of the collapse.

"A few of the boys got a fright."

A news conference has been called at Wishaw General Hospital, which will be addressed by chief executive Ian Stillie

he supposedly suffered a seizure and a heart attack

he nephew was playing up front for us he scored two goals young david clarkson poor guy

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

35 is far too young. Great servant to Motherwell & will be missed.
R.I.P. Phil.

Aw sh*t! I heard about this as it was happening on the BBC. That's terrible news.

wow what a shock, thoughts are with his family at this moment

r.i.p

OMG, shocking news :(

I remember he signed for Celtic way back, RIP Phil. :(

him and my dad were mates he's really cut up about it aswell. my dad was also mates with the soldeir from motherwell that was buried last week so it aint been good for him over christmas really

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

That is real sad news, my son told me about it a few minutes ago and tbh the 1st thing I thought of was MFCGAVMFC because he is the only motherwell fan I know and I knew he would be at the match.

R.I.P

His wife and kids were at the game watching :(

Back