Moon landing tapes got erased, NASA admits

v14

Banned
Reaction score
WASHINGTON (Reuters)

The original recordings of the first humans landing on the moon 40 years ago were erased and re-used, but newly restored copies of the original broadcast look even better, NASA officials said on Thursday.

NASA released the first glimpses of a complete digital make-over of the original landing footage that clarifies the blurry and grainy images of Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin walking on the surface of the moon.
The full set of recordings, being cleaned up by Burbank, California-based Lowry Digital, will be released in September. The preview is available at www.nasa.gov.

NASA admitted in 2006 that no one could find the original video recordings of the July 20, 1969, landing.

Since then, Richard Nafzger, an engineer at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Maryland, who oversaw television processing at the ground-tracking sites during the Apollo 11 mission, has been looking for them.
The good news is he found where they went. The bad news is they were part of a batch of 200,000 tapes that were degaussed -- magnetically erased -- and re-used to save money.

"The goal was live TV," Nafzger told a news conference.
"We should have had a historian running around saying 'I don't care if you are ever going to use them -- we are going to keep them'," he said.
They found good copies in the archives of CBS news and some recordings called kinescopes found in film vaults at Johnson Space Center.
Lowry, best known for restoring old Hollywood films, has been digitizing these along with some other bits and pieces to make a new rendering of the original landing.

Nafzger does not worry that using a Hollywood-based company might fuel the fire of conspiracy theorists who believe the entire lunar program that landed people on the moon six times between 1969 and 1972 was staged on a movie set or secret military base.

"This company is restoring historic video. It mattered not to me where the company was from," Nafzger said.

"The conspiracy theorists are going to believe what they are going to believe," added Lowry Digital Chief Operating Officer Mike Inchalik.
And there may be some unofficial copies of the original broadcast out there somewhere that were taken from a NASA video switching center in Sydney, Australia, the space agency said. Nafzger said someone else in Sydney made recordings too.
"These tapes are not in the system," Nafzger said. "We are certainly open to finding them."

Source

moon shit.

"The conspiracy theorists are going to believe what they are going to believe,"

ermm... who mentioned a conspiracy?

Last edited:
I think I saw an advert for the 40th anniversary on the Discovery channel with the new digitized footage (I may be wrong though....quite common).

Supposed to be on 16th July but that may be US.

I think I saw an advert for the 40th anniversary on the Discovery channel with the new digitized footage (I may be wrong though....quite common).

Supposed to be on 16th July but that may be US.

Considering what was televised to the world was the equivalent of a scene release CAM (ie it was a camera recording the images from a projector screen) it would have been good to see the original footage tbh.

But hey ho, it was only the first manned mission to the moon after all.
Why would you wan't to keep mundane shit like that?

But hey ho, it was only the first (allegedly) manned mission to the moon after all.
Why would you wan't to keep mundane shit like that?

It was probably erased because they never actually went there.

I honestly think the whole thing is a farce. There are too many inconsistencies in the story of the "Moon Landing". Now, I do think we've orbited the moon, sent probes to the moon etc... But mankind, I don't think so. If we had, why have we never gone back? Why does the Space Shuttle only fly BENEATH the Van Allen belt? Surely technology is better today than before.

For more info. look into a movie called "Paper Moon". They bring up dozens of valid points that need to be explored and explained - like the door on the lander being SMALLER than the life support packs that the astronauts supposedly wore on the surface. So how did they get out? Did they just hold their breath until they could put it on?

How about that cool dunebuggy rover? Where was that stashed? It's huge! And why does the sand shooting out from the tires look exactly like sand on the desert shooting off of car tires. Wouldn't low gravity and lack of atmosphere shoot that stuff like 100 yards into the air?

The computing power was less than my wristwatch for crying out loud! Nobody is going to convince me that they flew thousands and thousands of miles, through the Van Allen Belt entered into the moon's gravitational field and controlled a landing all using a Texas Instruments calculator!!!

Nope, not buying it. How about the space suits? How were they able to fully pressurize a space suit in the vacuum of space and control the internal temperature when it had a swing of hundreds of degrees depending on sun exposure versus shade!? AND still be able to move around when the thing was fully pressurized - it would've looked like a giant balloon!

The reality is that we barely have the technology to put PEOPLE on the moon today. Sure we can send all types of gizmos and gadgets - robots, probes and such - but there are too many inherent problems with getting people there.

The reality is probably that it was a political stunt to unite the nation against the Communist threat at the time.

I honestly think the whole thing is a farce. There are too many inconsistencies in the story of the "Moon Landing". Now, I do think we've orbited the moon, sent probes to the moon etc... But mankind, I don't think so. If we had, why have we never gone back? Why does the Space Shuttle only fly BENEATH the Van Allen belt? Surely technology is better today than before.

For more info. look into a movie called "Paper Moon". They bring up dozens of valid points that need to be explored and explained - like the door on the lander being SMALLER than the life support packs that the astronauts supposedly wore on the surface. So how did they get out? Did they just hold their breath until they could put it on?

How about that cool dunebuggy rover? Where was that stashed? It's huge! And why does the sand shooting out from the tires look exactly like sand on the desert shooting off of car tires. Wouldn't low gravity and lack of atmosphere shoot that stuff like 100 yards into the air?

The computing power was less than my wristwatch for crying out loud! Nobody is going to convince me that they flew thousands and thousands of miles, through the Van Allen Belt entered into the moon's gravitational field and controlled a landing all using a Texas Instruments calculator!!!

Nope, not buying it. How about the space suits? How were they able to fully pressurize a space suit in the vacuum of space and control the internal temperature when it had a swing of hundreds of degrees depending on sun exposure versus shade!? AND still be able to move around when the thing was fully pressurized - it would've looked like a giant balloon!

The reality is that we barely have the technology to put PEOPLE on the moon today. Sure we can send all types of gizmos and gadgets - robots, probes and such - but there are too many inherent problems with getting people there.

The reality is probably that it was a political stunt to unite the nation against the Communist threat at the time.

But we have gone back....there have been 6 moon landings by humans.

You can of course believe or not believe, thats entirely up to you.

Mythbusters have also wrecked a lot of conspiracy theories by dispelling things like why the flag waved and the shadows, they proved it is possible.

I haven't seen any true evidence to say it didn't happen, just a lot of the usual conspiracy theories which come up at most events.

Mythbusters have also wrecked a lot of conspiracy theories by dispelling things like why the flag waved and the shadows, they proved it is possible.

Lol now that is a fooking classic quote that one is. Mythbusters? They couldn't investigate a fart in a space suit. Talk about sensationalist tv!!!

I presented perfectly legitimate scientific quotes and questions as to why it never happened and you quote Mythbusters.

How have they been back 6 times? Maybe probes but definately not humans.

But we have gone back....there have been 6 moon landings by humans.

You can of course believe or not believe, thats entirely up to you.

I haven't seen any true evidence to say it didn't happen, just a lot of the usual conspiracy theories which come up at most events.

Jaffa mate you are the voice of reason and sanity of DW.

But the day I let those 2 ginger twats off of Mythbusters sway my judgment on anything more important than boiling an egg in a microwave without an explosion is the day I start reading the News of the World and taking it seriously..

Did you not read the article... NASA taped over the moon landing tapes.

HALLO

Jaffa mate you are the voice of reason and sanity of DW.

But the day I let those 2 ginger twats off of Mythbusters sway my judgment on anything more important than boiling an egg in a microwave without an explosion is the day I start reading the News of the World and taking it seriously..

Did you not read the article... NASA taped over the moon landing tapes.

HALLO

I did read it BUT I am neither saying it is true or false. Heres how I lie with this.

1. I am a scientist with indepth knowledge of the moon landings.....afraid not.
2. I believe what someone wrote on the net, maybe he is a conspiracy theorist or a crackpot or a very knowledgeable person...I dont know.

Or

1. Again I am not a scientist.
2. I believe what I have read, given all the evidence, not just the crackpots.

I go for the 2nd option because it has not been proven to me beyond doubt that it is made up.

I may be wrong but until someone can actually prove to me it is all hogwash then I will go with the official version....even if it makes me niave.

As for mythbuster, I enjoy it and I wouldnt go as far as saying its as good as reading the NOTW....that made me lol.

btw...thanks.

It doesn't matter whether its JFK or the Twin towers or the moon landing , you WILL always get some people who say its not true .So do we really care that much ? . Not me and Millions of others . Just believe want you want to believe and let everyone else believe what THEY want to believe and we will all be happy lol

maybe She is a conspiracy theorist or a crackpot or a very knowledgeable person...I dont know.

Knowledgable, I've spent the best part of 5yrs studying the for and against for this. The US never went there.

The soviets were bought off by a massive influx of food to keep quiet.

maybe She is a conspiracy theorist or a crackpot or a very knowledgeable person...I dont know.

Knowledgable, I've spent the best part of 5yrs studying the for and against for this. The US never went there.

Why quote half my post, why not quote it all, but as you don't want to, I will say it again.

You can of course believe or not believe, thats entirely up to you.....be it he or she.

It doesn't really matter, the choice is yours, your opinion may be different from mine but neither of us can prove, if I was to say I studied it for the past 10 years would that make me right...I don't think so,............. believe what you want.

Last edited:
Why quote half my post, why not quote it all, but as you don't want to, I will say it again.

You can of course believe or not believe, thats entirely up to you.....be it he or she.

It doesn't really matter, the choice is yours, your opinion may be different from mine but neither of us can prove, if I was to say I studied it for the past 10 years would that make me right...I don't think so,............. believe what you want.

Oh but I can. I didn't deliberately ignore half your post,they were just the stupid bits.

But let me answer tomorrow.

I'm pissed,I've got a stinking headache,my face looks like I've swallowed a tennis ball cos I've got a gum infection and you want me to get in-depth.

Leave it for tonight and I'll get back to you.

It doesn't really matter, the choice is yours, your opinion may be different from mine but neither of us can prove it so believe what you want.

it's a fact m8.

Arguing over the authenticity of the lunar landings is like arguing over religion or politics.

You'll never win.

Personally I think we didn't, nor will we any time soon go to the moon.
For me it doesn't add up.
Maybe that's just my cynical nature.

Humans as a species are such f*cking liars though don't you think?

ok then heres one for you me got one of those powerful telescopes (for the home anyway) why the feck cant i find flag, buggy or anything related to moonlandings other than rocks and boulders yet i can see jupiter, saturn even neptune even nebulars zillions of miles away and i even have the cordinates of where they supposenlly landed suggestions??? the only thing i managed to find was the red double decker bus which landed there reported but the sunday sport

And what did the americans give to the chinese and every other nation ???

Oh but I can. I didn't deliberately ignore half your post,they were just the stupid bits. <--- would that be the stipid bits that said you were entitled to your opinion.....oh right :err:

But let me answer tomorrow.

I'm pissed,I've got a stinking headache,my face looks like I've swallowed a tennis ball cos I've got a gum infection and you want me to get in-depth.
Leave it for tonight and I'll get back to you. <--- no I do not want you to get in-depth, I was trying to say everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I have absolutely no intention of debating the moon landings.
btw...I hope your gums get better.

it's a fact m8.

Arguing over the authenticity of the lunar landings is like arguing over religion or politics.

You'll never win. <-- I don't want to win m8, I just want other people to accept I am entitled to my own opinion.

Personally I think we didn't, nor will we any time soon go to the moon.
For me it doesn't add up.
Maybe that's just my cynical nature. <--- I still have an open mind on it, as it stands now I lean to the official records but one day someone may have evidence with no holes in it....who knows.

Humans as a species are such f*cking liars though don't you think? <---I tend to agree but mainly those with power

@meanie....you want to see a flag on the moon with a telescope.....really.

Back