Monoblock install.....

pwillo1982

DW Member +
Reaction score
I put a 110TD dish up for my dad on Wednesday and trying to align to 13e and 19.2e using a monoblock (He is planning on installing a motor soon hence bigger dish)

Just a few things I wanted to confirm.....

I have got the right hand LNB in the collar if i'm looking down the arm towards the dish which is rotated so the left hand LNB is slightly higher (correct ??)

I have put Open Pli on the DM500 he will be using, I have chose DiSEqC A/B with 13e as A and 19.2e as B (is this correct if I point the dish at 13e??)

The way I left it I was getting a perfect signal on 19.2e but nothing at all on 13e (which I thought was a bit strange if dish was pointing at 13e lol) the fact that I was getting anything at all is pure fluke, I was amazed when I loaded the channel list up and the FTA stuff actually cleared on 19.2 as the heavens opened more or less as soon as I got the dish up, I literally attached it pointed it roughly by sight from looking at dish pointer and went inside to get a towel and get dry !!!

Any pointers for when I get back up there tomorrow would be appreciated :)

Well spent a few hours on this and havent got any further lol

Still getting 85%-90% signal on all the 19.2e tp's and clearing all the FTA channels fine but no lock on 13e at all :-(

When checking through the tp's on 13e using the satfinder on the box snr seems to stay at a static 63% apart from a few of the later ones in the list which go up to 70% max but fluctuate up and down.

Is there anything obvious that I might be missing ??

I'll try and post some pics later when I get home, only thing I can think of at the moment is some trees could be blocking line of sight but I didnt think they were big enough or in the right place to be a problem

I"ve found the easiest way to set a monoblock up is use a single lnb and align the dish on the sat of your choice say 13E then put the 6 degree monoblock in with the 2nd feedhorn to the right of the primary one when looking from behind the dish then in the STB switch between A&B in diseqc 1.0 and see which one gets you 13E.then switch to the other setting(the diseqc switch in the monoblock should do this automatically when you choose 19E) and go out side and raise/lower the secondary lnb to get the best result for 19E.if you use 19E as primary the secondary will have to be to left.

Last edited:
i too had a similar problem when installing a 78cm dish and mono-block once... what make of lnb is it as the smart tit ones(and other makes probably) have 13e as diseqc b and 19.2e as diseqc a even when using 13e as the primary focus so do as @dick b suggests and try the opposite way from the norm to see if it works. regards mdt

Is the answer not down to geometry. The OP said he had a Triax TD 110 dish and as I understood Monoblock LNBs are intended for Benelux countries using 60cm Dishes which have closer together focal points for the respective Satellites (13.0 and 19.2E) making two LNBs harder to align correctly because there so tight to each other. At my old house I had a 1 mtr dish that had 3 LNBs on Hotbird, Astra 1 and Astra 2. Having set it up myself I remember there being a noticeable gap between the 13.0E and 19.2E LNBs because the focal points are further apart the larger a dish gets. It might be worth trying to LNBs and a switch to see if that helps, as it sounds like the dish is focussed on Astra OK but the Offset beam of Hotbird sounds like its missing the side Feedhorn of the monoblock LNBs giving you a poor to no signal reading.

Just checked it is one of the Smart Titanium ones, now that I have been away from there and thinking about it I'm wondering if the dish is actually pointing at 19.2e and I have got the lnb in the collar the wrong way around, that is the only thing I can think of that would replicate my problem as the offset lnb for 13e would be the wrong side but still getting 19.2e in fine from the central one.

Will try and get back up there during the week and have another mess around, all part of the learning curve on my first install I suppose :)

If 19.2e is the centred one then the one for 13e will be on the right hand side as you look at the dish,
and vice versa if 13e is the centred one,as this type of install should use the same logic as a multi lnb setup

All sorted now, feeling very proud of myself haha

Just threw me as i was thinking I was getting 19.2e through the offset lnb initially as it was set to B in the diseqc settings so made me think the dish was pointing at 13e, the penny dropped when MDT said about them being the wrong way around and it all just made sense !!!

Just swapped the lnb's around in the collar and a little bit of tweaking with the dish and skew and working a treat now, just watching the copa america on Nova :)

All sorted now, feeling very proud of myself haha

Just threw me as i was thinking I was getting 19.2e through the offset lnb initially as it was set to B in the diseqc settings so made me think the dish was pointing at 13e, the penny dropped when MDT said about them being the wrong way around and it all just made sense !!!

Just swapped the lnb's around in the collar and a little bit of tweaking with the dish and skew and working a treat now, just watching the copa america on Nova :)

PWillo just going through your thread there. I'm having the exact same problem. I have a dm500 and 80cm dish with single monoblock bought from satskelp. I pointed my dish at 13 east using a single lnb then simple swaped the single lnb with the mono. So i have 13 in the collar and 19 high right of it if looking at them from behind the dish. Then when i check the signal 19 is booming in and nothing on 13 at all! lol. Can you just confirm how you solved that problem
From what i gather you put 19 in the collar whist still pointing at 13 is that right!!!
Or is there a setting on the dm500 to switch diseqc a&b around. i have open pli also. Slightly confused at the moment...

Perhaps this picture will aid understanding.

Note the arrangement of LNBs. If your dish is focussed on 13, collar 13. Your initial statement about which one is collared is correct, it is a configuration issue.

You will have to swap which is 13 and which is 19 in your tuner configuration when you select Diseqc.

Attachments

• multi lnb.jpg
    multi lnb.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 23
Thanks Abu, in my sat config menu on my dm500 i have a choice of 3
2 sat via toneburst
2 sats via 22khz (only highband)
2 sats via diseqc a/b.
i've chose the third option 2 sats via diseqc as i believe the single monoblock has inbuilt diseqc.
I've tried 13 at A and 19 at B and vice versa but no luck. Just tried again recently there and my satlink meter is picking up 19 but not 13 and when i connect to the dm500 it picks up 13 and not 19... lol. Has to be something simple i'm doing wrong!

Back