migration problems

berley

Inactive User
Reaction score
I changed isp’s from pipex to virgin media a week ago today (cant get cable so stuck with adsl) anyhow they told me it would take 10 working days for them to keep testing my bt line in order for them to get a steady speed that my line could handle

My first day with them was brilliant, download speed hadn’t improved much but my surfing speed was good, but since the 2nd day my surfing speed has been abysmal

They have fobbed me off with it will getting better after the 10 testing days, I can understand what they are telling me about my download speed , what I don’t understand is why my surfing speed has been affected so much , can anyone explain to me in simple terms why my surfing speed has slowed down so much, or even confirm that they have migrated from one isp to a different one and that eventually it all turned out alright ?

Forgot to add, since I changed over ive been doing speed tests about 5 times daily and my download speed is up and down, its never fallen below 2mb (which is what I had originally) and has at times got up to nearly 7mb but even then my surfing speed is still slow 

From what I understand the first 48hours is important - in that time do some big downloads and at some point switch of off your router for a few hours at some point. If your speed is still slow after 10 days get your ISP to restart the learning mode to determine the optimum speed.

thanks for the reply romario, i did download a film the first day, the 2nd day i rebooted the router as they told me to do that a few times during the 10 day period, (but i didn't have it off for a few hours) when i phoned them on day 5, they told me so far my optimum speed is 5mb which is fine by me but my surf speed is slower than when i was on a 2mb line, just hope it all sorts itself out as im tied in with them for a year now

It could depend on your ISP too - they effectively buy bandwidth from BT - some buy more, some by less to get what is known as a contention ratio.

If 1 ISP doesn't by enough bandwidth, then at busy times you will see your speed drop (is it normally fater during week days, and then falls off between 6pm - 10pm when everone is online?). Kind of like my VM cable to be honest!

Generaly surfing shouldn't be affected too much all the same as 2MB is still really fast for websites!

Generaly surfing shouldn't be affected too much all the same as 2MB is still really fast for websites!

its my surf speed thats been affected the most, its not as bad today but still slow, but at least i haven't been timed out of anywhere ............ yet, as last week i was getting timed out of nearly every 2nd web page that i went onto

Back