Microsoft disconnects Xbox gamers

hamba

Inactive User
Reaction score
Microsoft disconnects Xbox gamers

Thousands of gamers may have been cut off from Microsoft's online gaming service Xbox Live for modifying their consoles to play pirated games.

Online reports suggest that as many as 600,000 gamers may have been affected.

Microsoft confirmed that it had banned a "small percentage" of the 20 million Xbox Live users.

Microsoft said that modifying an Xbox 360 console "violates" the services "terms of use" and would result in a player being disconnected.

"All consumers should know that piracy is illegal and that modifying their Xbox 360 console to play pirated discs violates the Xbox Live terms of use, will void their warranty and result in a ban from Xbox Live," Microsoft has said in a statement.

"The health of the video game business depends on customers paying for the genuine products and services they receive from manufacturers, retailers, and the third parties that support them."

Many gamers modify their consoles by installing new chips or software that allows them to run unofficial programs. Some chips are specifically designed to play pirated games.

Reports suggest that the ban does not stop the console from working and only affects a gamer's Xbox Live account.

Industry figures suggest that piracy may cost the video game industry as much as £750m a year.

In other news, a UK court has dismissed a man's appeal against an earlier conviction for selling modification chips - "modchips" that allow gamers to play illegal games.

Christopher Gillham's earlier conviction was upheld by Hereford Crown Court which found that playing counterfeit games on a modified console infringed copyrights.

Story from BBC NEWS:
Published: 2009/11/11 10:20:59 GMT
© BBC MMIX

so the 360 can actually be modded to play back-ups.

when did this happen, and is there a guide on how to do this LOL

i didn't even know that it was possible to mod x box 360?

"uk-wales"

Legend has it, that it's also capable of playing Video Games.

Sounds like a Hoax to me :)
truth is it takes your game disk, scores a groove in it spits it out, then dispalys a red ring on the front to show its completed its task

truth is it takes your game disk, scores a groove in it spits it out, then dispalys a red ring on the front to show its completed its task

LMFAO!!

:Clap:

Personally, that's never happened to me.

All my machines must have been faulty :(

well thats cause you never got the new Jasper:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMWhe5YDC5Q]YouTube - Opening New Xbox 360 hdmi and i got a Jaguar!![/ame]

it may well be more than Internet connections they are stopping.
I've been "trying"(cough) an EA game. 24 hours after i installed it, it stopped working giving a Microsoft error. (check sum error on the game EXE file). removing a "freshly" installs MS update, got the game working again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! even if i ask MS update to download and ask before installing any files. this one is installed whatever you set (except switching off MS update).

PM me for the update number, if you are having trouble.

hi im not sure about this staement

""Users of banned Xbox consoles can recover their profile to another, unmodified Xbox 360 console to resume their Live service," the firm told BBC News."

supposing all the dust has settled and you have modded your new xbox...wouldnt your profile or gamertag have information saying that you used this on a xbox which has been banned and are now using it again on another modded xbox?....this would then raise some kind of warning with microshaft and ban this new xbox....?????

hi im not sure about this staement

""Users of banned Xbox consoles can recover their profile to another, unmodified Xbox 360 console to resume their Live service," the firm told BBC News."

supposing all the dust has settled and you have modded your new xbox...wouldnt your profile or gamertag have information saying that you used this on a xbox which has been banned and are now using it again on another modded xbox?....this would then raise some kind of warning with microshaft and ban this new xbox....?????

my lads got banned an hour ago.

bummer

Oh no people will now have to play real opponents in the same room as them, what are we gonna do?

Back