Micro men

hoppy

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
This was on the bbc over Christmas and i had downloaded it but never got round to watching it.
Its the story of Clive Sinclair and Chris Curry who's comapny's Sinclair and Acorn went head to head in the 80s.
Sinclair is brilliantly played by Alexander Armstrong (Armstrong and Miller) and Martin Freeman (the office) plays Curray.
Armstrong brings a lot of comedy to Sinclairs role without loosing the true side to Sinclairs personality and Freeman does a solid job of Curray.

I dont want to spoil it too much incase you have not seen it but if like me you had a spectrum and spent hours doing useless things with it then you gotta see it guys.
One scene shows how Acorn nailed the BBC contract with a computer they didnt have and had to build in 4 days.

You should be able to get it on any torrent or newsgroup.
Well worth seeing.

Last edited:
This was on the bbc over Christmas and i had downloaded it but never got round to watching it.
Its the story of Clive Sinclair and Chris Curry who's comapny's Sinclair and Acorn went head to head in the 80s.
Sinclair is brilliantly played by Alexander Armstrong (Armstrong and Miller) and Martin Freeman (the office) plays Curray.
Armstrong brings a lot of comedy to Sinclairs role without loosing the true side to Sinclairs personality and Freeman does a solid job of Curray.

I dont want to spoil it too much incase you have not seen it but if like me you had a spectrum and spent hours doing useless things with it then you gotta see it guys.
One scene shows how Acorn nailed the BBC contract with a computer they didnt have and had to build in 4 days.

You should be able to get it on any torrent or newsgroup.
Well worth seeing.

Watched it twice over the holidays lol.
Very good it was. I thought Alexander Armstrong was superb as Sir Clive.

It was repeated a week or so ago and that's when I read about it in the paper. Told myself I must watch it but forgot to watch it, doh! Thanks for reminding me :)

I'll check this out hoppy, if it's crap I'm going to put you in a headlock and make you watch all 8 hours of my wedding video.

I meant to watch it when it was first on bbc4 but missed it, suprisingly the misses saw the repeat coming on and said " is that no that hing yoo wanted tae see?

i said "aye, beat it"

it was great

yeah,. caught it on bbc iplayer - very interesting as i lived thru those times and remember the 1 bbc acorn computer arriving for my junior school.

We had a BBC Micro at school. Used to play Granny's Garden. Such a great adventure game for a 6 year old to play!

Nice one Stuart that looks good m8, looking for it now. Has anyone got a link?

I'll check this out hoppy, if it's crap I'm going to put you in a headlock and make you watch all 8 hours of my wedding video.

You better hope he likes it hoppy.

I have seen it and it goes like this:

Early morning preparations (the wife getting ready with a champagne breakfast, and every body laughing),

Cuts to munkey, covered in sick, with his pants pulled down, his penis exposed, having been painted fluorescent yellow.

Mrs Munkey attends the church in a posh old car, dad beaming with pride.

Munkey sat in a motorway services talking to a toilet cleaner about how he is too young to get tied down. 'I haven't even climbed Everest yet!'

The ceremony takes place. Munkey is crying uncontrollably, and just as he mumbles I do, a snot falls out of his nose.

The wedding dance. As the first few bars of 'time of my life' plays in, Munkey grabs his wife, spins her round, and launches her perfectly on a chair. He then proceeds to dance badly solo to an extended version of 'Can't touch this' for 7 minutes.

The consummation: Munkey and his wife act out the Kama Sutra, only Munkey plays the woman.

Last edited:
You better hope he likes it hoppy.

I have seen it and it goes like this:

Early morning preparations (the wife getting ready with a champagne breakfast, and every body laughing),

Cuts to munkey, covered in sick, with his pants pulled down, his penis exposed, having been painted fluorescent yellow.

Mrs Munkey attends the church in a posh old car, dad beaming with pride.

Munkey sat in a motorway services talking to a toilet cleaner about how he is too young to get tied down. 'I haven't even climbed Everest yet!'

The ceremony takes place. Munkey is crying uncontrollably, and just as he mumbles I do, a snot falls out of his nose.

The wedding dance. As the first few bars of 'time of my life' plays in, Munkey grabs his wife, spins her round, and launches her perfectly on a chair. He then proceeds to dance badly solo to an extended version of 'Can't touch this' for 7 minutes.

The consummation: Munkey and his wife act out the Kama Sutra, only Munkey plays the woman.

It wasn't MC Hammer but Tiffany's I think we're alone now You should have seen my feet sweep the floor, I was ace. The wedding guests were hypnotised by the speed of my feet and the pendulum effect of my turban.

You'd enjoy the video though, I taped the honeymoon, with me losing my virginity it was a very special day. I'll upload it to newsgroups and send you a link.

Oh and I froze my piss stained trousers as a wedding memento along with the wedding cake. Ah memories.

My father in law has never been proud of me, in fact I'd like to talk about that one day, sob. Apparently being a drug dealer and imaginary rich bloke on the internet is not his idea of a traditional vocation.

I just did a search & ended up at one of those sites where you need to fill out a never-ending survey.

So instead of doing that, I checked the source of the page and found a link (which I entered into my browser).

The page wanted me to install some plug-ins, so I decided to rip the video using Internet Download Manager.

The link I got from it was:
http://content1.vidb.tv:80/dl/c028246791285424b753b562cfcbfcfc/4b547128/12555941251909.avi

It's a very slow download, feel free to grab it, but I can't verify that it's a valid link, as I'm still downloading at the mo'.

--

Can confirm that the link above works fine, good quality audio & video.

Last edited:
I just did a search & ended up at one of those sites where you need to fill out a never-ending survey.

So instead of doing that, I checked the source of the page and found a link (which I entered into my browser).

The page wanted me to install some plug-ins, so I decided to rip the video using Internet Download Manager.

The link I got from it was:
http://content1.vidb.tv:80/dl/c028246791285424b753b562cfcbfcfc/4b547128/12555941251909.avi

It's a very slow download, feel free to grab it, but I can't verify that it's a valid link, as I'm still downloading at the mo'.
I just got it from a torrent link hoppy sent me. I can upload if you want.

Just watched it and have to say it was really interesting. Even the wife said it was "quite good".

You can see a lot of the similarities between Sinclair and Acorn as you can nowadays with Microsoft and Apple.

It certainly brought the memories flooding back lol. remember those computers like it was yesterday - commadore PETS lol.

bbc and acorn, i got one of those zx80's when they first came out lmao even got that daft thermal printer addon. the keyboard was totally shit lol, my dad helped me build a nascom1 from a kit in the end - a proper computer witha whole 8k of ram and a z80a processor rofl.. fook intel lol

I never realised Clive sinclair was such an arsehole till i watched this lol

Just watched it and have to say it was really interesting. Even the wife said it was "quite good".

You can see a lot of the similarities between Sinclair and Acorn as you can nowadays with Microsoft and Apple.

Aye,,Wikipedia said that Acorn were regarded as the British Apple in the early days.
Sinclair was hell bent on producing that electric car at all costs and i couldn't believe he saw the home computer as nothing more than a fad.

If anyone had a spectrum and fancys a laugh then take a wee look at this site.
ZX Spectrum Games - ZXSpectrum.net

Back