Mesh Networks Mesh Wifi - experiences?

matty125

New Member ++
Hi,

I currently have a VM superhub3 (modem mode) connected to a asus rt-ac68u and a separate access point asus rt-ac56u (via cat5e connected to the main router) but still have wifi deadspots and wifi devices wont roam effectively. I have tried the inbuilt roaming assistant on the asus but with limited success.

Part of the problem is largely due to the solid walls throughout the house. So, I am currently thinking about changing the setup to a mesh network - possibly google wifi ? to allow seamless roaming and get rid of any dead zones.

Does anyone have any experiences with mesh networks? What is important to me is to power down the wifi during the night (not pause devices). Under the asus I power down the wifi using the scheduler so that there is no wifi being broadcast at all. Does anyone know if this is available with any of the mesh networks?

Thanks for any help..

trevortron

VIP Member
VIP Member
Premium Member
I looked into this a few years ago as my house is set over four levels. I got round it by experimenting with the routers in different locations. But while I was looking I saw "leaky" (wifi antenna) cable advertised. I didn't use it but it seemed like a handy option.
From what I read back then, Mesh systems were more intended for covering large areas like caravan sits, small housing estates etc.

janobi

Janet to us
VIP Member
Look at some meraki kit. You can get it free if you attend the CMNA course. Free switch, firewall and AP. The AP is very powerful, and it has 7 layer protection.

I'd certainly recommend going mesh - it helped me no end in my old brick/stone house. I'm using the Google Wifi mesh kit at home, spanning 4 floors... I was sceptical - but i have to say, its been 100% flawless and i like the app based control and configuration... The Ubiquiti kit is also well regarded if you need something a bit faster - but comes at a price.

TEST