Mesh Networks Mesh Wifi - experiences?

matty125

Member ++
Reaction score
Hi,

I currently have a VM superhub3 (modem mode) connected to a asus rt-ac68u and a separate access point asus rt-ac56u (via cat5e connected to the main router) but still have wifi deadspots and wifi devices wont roam effectively. I have tried the inbuilt roaming assistant on the asus but with limited success.

Part of the problem is largely due to the solid walls throughout the house. So, I am currently thinking about changing the setup to a mesh network - possibly google wifi ? to allow seamless roaming and get rid of any dead zones.

Does anyone have any experiences with mesh networks? What is important to me is to power down the wifi during the night (not pause devices). Under the asus I power down the wifi using the scheduler so that there is no wifi being broadcast at all. Does anyone know if this is available with any of the mesh networks?

Thanks for any help..

I looked into this a few years ago as my house is set over four levels. I got round it by experimenting with the routers in different locations. But while I was looking I saw "leaky" (wifi antenna) cable advertised. I didn't use it but it seemed like a handy option.
From what I read back then, Mesh systems were more intended for covering large areas like caravan sits, small housing estates etc.

Look at some meraki kit. You can get it free if you attend the CMNA course. Free switch, firewall and AP. The AP is very powerful, and it has 7 layer protection.

I'd certainly recommend going mesh - it helped me no end in my old brick/stone house. I'm using the Google Wifi mesh kit at home, spanning 4 floors... I was sceptical - but i have to say, its been 100% flawless and i like the app based control and configuration... The Ubiquiti kit is also well regarded if you need something a bit faster - but comes at a price.

i signed up for cmna course and got a free switch firewall and AP. one AP is more than enough to cover 3500sqf of home with zero dead spot. i would recommend everyone to have a look at those devices. i have since configured it for couple of my clients with up to 200 users without any issues

i signed up for cmna course and got a free switch firewall and AP. one AP is more than enough to cover 3500sqf of home with zero dead spot. i would recommend everyone to have a look at those devices. i have since configured it for couple of my clients with up to 200 users without any issues

You have to be a cisco partner to be able to get onto the course. I did it when they first came out and sold my kit on ebay with the license. Licensing costs are what kills the meraki kit, great kit, but the licensing is mental expensive.

Anybody any experience with the Ubiquiti HD Mesh Router? Specs look great and (personal) reviews are even better... I want to get rid of dead zones in my three floor house. Would you need the (extra) wireless mesh points or will the router cover? Am using a Netgear R7000 now...

Ive just bought the Netgear Orbi and have VM 360mbps all over the house now.I had a blindspot in my upstairs bedroom but not anymore.
The router unit is downstairs atached to the VM superhub and the orbi satellite unit is upstairs....flawless wifi everywhere.
Theres a whole range of gear to choose from,I went with the RBK50's and would highly recommend them

Back