Mayor of London Boris Johnson cancels Fifa hotel stay

davidh

<font color="RED">Administrator</font>
VIP Member
Reaction score
Boris Johnson has withdrawn the offer of a free stay in London's exclusive Dorchester hotel for Fifa executives during the 2012 Olympics.
The Mayor of London had offered the free accommodation for Fifa president Sepp Blatter and his team.
But after Fifa's decision on Thursday's 2018 World Cup vote - which saw the England bid get just two votes out of a possible 22 - the offer was rescinded.
Russia was chosen to host the tournament instead.
Free hotel rooms for VIP guests are handed out by Locog, the Olympic organising committee.
Mr Johnson is understood to have discussed the issue with Locog chairman Sebastian Coe.
The mayor has not commented on the decision to cancel the free stay.
But in the aftermath of the defeat, Mr Johnson, who travelled to Zurich to personally lobby Fifa's executives, said the result was a "big blow and tremendously disappointing".
He added: "We put together a cracking bid, our technical specification was top-notch and our stadiums would have been packed to the rafters."
'Exceptional grace'
A senior government source has told the BBC that at least five executive committee members "personally assured" Prince William and David Beckham they would vote for the England bid, only to back other contenders in the first round.
The Dorchester's website says the hotel "offers rooms of exceptional grace and comfort, all providing views over Hyde Park or the hotel's landscaped terraces".
It continues: "Bathrooms are welcoming and spacious, offering an exceptional combination of style and function, and are said to have the deepest baths in London.
"They are predominantly made in Italian marble and designed in the classic art deco style - echoing the hotel's 1930s origins."

BBC News - Mayor of London Boris Johnson cancels Fifa hotel stay

i am sure FIFA can afford to put them up considering the expenses of the committee incurred whilst travelling the globe

Wow... Boris the buffoon has done something right lol

Good call imo

Well better late than never - well done Borris

Well done Boris, but the Russians will probably pay for it out of the thank you payment they will give to Fifa for keeping there side of the deal.

Well done Boris, but the Russians will probably pay for it out of the thank you payment they will give to Fifa for keeping there side of the deal.

I think you will find the all already have their payments from Russia. the world cup was bought and paid for many months, ago. if not longer.

but, well done Boris! ( i never thought i would say those words)

I am not saying who paid but I don't think Chelsea can afford Gareth Bale now.

about time someone told them where to go, the FA should be next and tell them we're doing what we want and looking into goal line technology and video refs whether you like it or not.

So does this mean the offer of the free stay was a bribe that he has withdrawn because we didn't win ?

So does this mean the offer of the free stay was a bribe that he has withdrawn because we didn't win ?

No, I think its a case of the FA fooked the UK over on the voting and lied constantly to 2 vips... (beckham aint important in my eyes)... so they can whistle for anything from the UK... stuff em

No, I think its a case of the FA fooked the UK over on the voting and lied constantly to 2 vips... (beckham aint important in my eyes)... so they can whistle for anything from the UK... stuff em

From my understanding of a bribe
Definition of bribe verb from Cambridge Dictionary Online: Free English Dictionary and Thesaurus
Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.
We offered them a present (free holiday) which was retracted when we didn't win, if we had won then they would have got the present (free holiday) looks like a bribe to me.

Bribe - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.
We offered them a favour (free holiday) which was retracted when we didn't win, if we had won then they would have got the favour (free holiday) looks like a bribe to me.

Next time if we want to win then we need to up our bribe/favour/present to stand a chance of winning they don't want to meet cameron, beckham or members of the royal family they want money and lots of it not some poxy little holiday in London during the olympics.

You have to be pretty naive to not realise this.

Seems like bribes are common at all sporting events - some time ago there was a post about the commonwealth games where those interested in hosting then games pay other country's via gifts to develope whatever back home to vote for them.

So if we win we will give you x amount and label it as development yea right

I did not realise this is how it works untill I read that article

Back