West Ham beat Tottenham to win Olympic stadium backing

RAB - P

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
West Ham have won the backing of Olympic bosses in the battle for the 2012 stadium, BBC London has learned.

Olympic Park Legacy Company executives have decided the offer from the club - which would retain the athletics track - is better than Tottenham's rival bid.

The OPLC board will be asked to support the view and announce the Hammers as preferred bidder on Friday.

The government and London's mayor will take a final decision but are expected to back the OPLC's recommendation.

It would be a surprise if ministers and the mayor, Boris Johnson, overturn OPLC executives, who have spent the last few months discussing the various plans with both clubs in detail, when they reveal their decision in the coming weeks.

West Ham are happy for the athletics track to be kept in the stadium and for the venue to be used for a variety of sports and concerts.

more...

Tottenham was never interested, it was always about pushing their council into agreeing the stadium.

It was very clever from them to be honest, they was not getting the green light from the council but once they threaten to take the ground away from the borough, they council had no choice but to agree the new stadium deal.

Regards
Mick

West Ham have won the backing of Olympic bosses in the battle for the 2012 stadium, BBC London has learned.

Olympic Park Legacy Company executives have decided the offer from the club - which would retain the athletics track - is better than Tottenham's rival bid.

The OPLC board will be asked to support the view and announce the Hammers as preferred bidder on Friday.

The government and London's mayor will take a final decision but are expected to back the OPLC's recommendation.

An OPLC spokesman said: "It is pure speculation to say that a decision has been made.

"Our board meets on Friday. There will be presentations by OPLC officers of both bids and a vote to recommend a preferred bidder."

It would be a surprise if ministers and the mayor, Boris Johnson, overturn the recommendation of OPLC executives, who have spent the last few months discussing the various plans with both clubs in detail, when they reveal their decision in the coming weeks.

West Ham are happy for the athletics track to be kept in the stadium and for the venue to be used for a variety of sports and concerts

Tottenham's plans were to dismantle the stadium in Stratford and build a new football ground in its place.

The Spurs proposal has faced huge criticism from the athletics world, MPs and the public.

A recent BBC London poll suggested 81% of Londoners were against the proposals to rip up the athletics track.

The ComRes phone poll, carried out between 21 and 23 January, also suggested 72% of people in London wanted West Ham to get the stadium, with only 13% supporting Tottenham.

Ministers and the mayor are understood to be well aware that the Tottenham option would have been a "hard sell" to taxpayers.

BBC News - West Ham beat Tottenham to win Olympic stadium backing

Speaking to a load of spurs fans this morning, none of them wanted the club to move, west ham fans seem more happy about it.

I thought the plan is to remove the top teir bringing capacity down to around 50k. They currently sell out their existing 30k ground so 50k sounds about right.

I thought the plan is to remove the top teir bringing capacity down to around 50k. They currently sell out their existing 30k ground so 50k sounds about right.

Doubt they would get 30,000 supporters for a championship game though. Nevermind 50,000!

agreed jan most teams should worry about their league position before their ground or seating position :proud:

I also believe that west ham bid will need to be part funded by local council and the athletics board.

There are several championship clubs getting around 30k home games thought obviously they would get bigger crowds if they stay up.

They're welcome to it. Never wanted the move anyway. Be interesting to see them attempt to fill it though. Cant see it happening. Our season ticket waiting list is 35,000 long. And their's is ....... ?

They're welcome to it. Never wanted the move anyway. Be interesting to see them attempt to fill it though. Cant see it happening. Our season ticket waiting list is 35,000 long. And their's is ....... ?

I believe that Spurs badly wanted to move to the Olympic stadium, as developing WHL is not an option.
They will probably now move to Wembley, if they manage to finish in the top 4 this season .

I also believe that west ham bid will need to be part funded by local council and the athletics board.

There are several championship clubs getting around 30k home games thought obviously they would get bigger crowds if they stay up.

yes thats right

The Hammers' bid came under fire because it was not self-funded, relying instead on loaned public money arranged by Newham Council.

BBC News - London 2012: Olympic Stadium winner confirmation due

The spurs board wanted it badly but you will be hard pushed to find a fan with the same view. I'm still puzzled why the WHL redevelopment suddenly became unviable overnight. Did I miss something? Hopefully it was just to give this option extra weight and will be re-looked at now.

Back