Matrix CAM Air

PrimeCard

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi,

I've just recieved this CAM. Set it up but its unstable.

Anyone got any experience with this CAM and OSCAM that might be able to help me make it a bit more stable?

Thanks,

Prime

New problem!

This may be related to the TV satellite tuner (Samsung UE46D800).

No sound on UK Satellite Channels!

The TV has options to automaticlly select a predefined audio language but no option to change audio stream except to audio description and still no sound!

New problem!

This may be related to the TV satellite tuner (Samsung UE46D800).

No sound on UK Satellite Channels!

The TV has options to automaticlly select a predefined audio language but no option to change audio stream except to audio description and still no sound!

Sorted this one:)

Thanx for all the info ! So as it seems, the cam set ups nicely but the oscam is still unstable for certain packages.
Hav you put in an original smartcard to test as well ? I mean this type of cams seem to be good as well to accept a wide branch of smartcards.

Unfortunately not. I only have a True Visions Thailand card. I can't see the satellite so not much point:(

Unfortunately not. I only have a True Visions Thailand card. I can't see the satellite so not much point:(

Just to clarify, the CAM has no card reader, I would have to share it from my Dreambox.

The firmwares I have tried are: MCA_F0260, MCA_F0294 and MCA_F0296.

The official firmware on what seems to be the official site is MCA_F0292, I will try that after the football this evening.

The OSCAM version is unstable 1.00. Changing the firmware has made no changes to OSCAM. All settings and information I have entered still remains after flashing.

I have hit the factory reset to wipe it several times. One thing I have learnt from this is the later firmwares have a simple wifi setup where only the key is required rather than everything about the wifi network.

Last edited:
The OSCAM version is unstable 1.00. Changing the firmware has made no changes to OSCAM. All settings and information I have entered still remains after flashing.

The actual Version is: OSCAM 1.00-unstable_svn build #0

If this ever gets updated this CAM might be a serious piece of kit but until then it's just for testing.

The website advertises 7 day EPG, on the firmwares i've tried it says coming soon when I look at it in the CAM menu.
When Matrix enable this feature, maybe they will upgrade the OSCAM to a sable version.

The actual Version is: OSCAM 1.00-unstable_svn build #0

If this ever gets updated this CAM might be a serious piece of kit but until then it's just for testing.

The website advertises 7 day EPG, on the firmwares i've tried it says coming soon when I look at it in the CAM menu.
When Matrix enable this feature, maybe they will upgrade the OSCAM to a sable version.

The Official firmwares dont have OSCAM!

I'm now looking to find where these unofficial firmwares come from.

Anyone know?

I think i have looked at almost every page google finds containing Matrix Air Cam, downloaded a bucket load of firmwares, translated and joined forums.

The information i have accumulated along with my experiance using the Cam has come down to this.

The OSCAM can and hopefully will be updated, though most of the firmwares seem to just be compiled with tweaks to the same version that allow more packages. The reason it was launched in Spain is it works well on the Digital+ package, AlJazeera and some other Hotbird packages. I can confirm this in part.

Generally the Cam starts, works on a channel, sometimes abit jumpy, then crashes when changing the channel. It crashes when on HD channels. When booting (3 minutes) it can disrupt even free to air channeds so much that they are unwatchable.

I am not done with testing, The Cam gets 31% signal from my router. I have read it needs to be within 5 meters of the router. My Cam is about 5 meters, this i can improve and see if it makes any diffrence.

I have noticed that unofficial firmwares of the same version number are occasionally compiled by diffrent people, there could be veriations depending on the source of the firmware. I have found a forum where the posters seem to be compiling firmwares themselves and hope to try one of these tonight or tomorrow.

I dont believe the boot time of the cam will really change. That I can live with if it can become a stable client on all packages.

I wouldent advise anyone buy one of these Cams until such a time that the firmware becomes stable enough to use.

Prime

Hi

I have tested this cam for some time now, OSCAM is to unstable for daliy use,
If OSCAM is turned off the unofficial firmware will connect to a cs server, some
hd and sd channels from the D+ package on Astra are working.

h*tp://foros.zackyfiles.com/forumdisplay.php?f=514
w*w.gxmax.com

Regards

Really, I'll turn off OSCAM and check it out. Maybe it just turns off the WebIf?

I've checked out the ZackyFiles forum, they seem to avoid the problems and concerntrate on the recievers that it works on, even though it dosen't work well on any yet. Maybe because they seem to be linked to a shop selling the CAM.

I've found an unofficial firmware 2.92 that seems to be more stable but not usable.

I've also noticed when on an official firmware and transfering another via FTP it transfers a lot quicker than it does on the unofficial firmwares.

I wish someone would strip down all the rubbish off the CAM's firmware and all the stuff the CAM cant support off the OSCAM. It might even speed up the boot time. I dont use any of the advertised applications on the CAM, twitter, weather etc. and its quite obvious the CAM cant support USB smart card readers or act as a server.

Some places tell you to edit the OSCAM.dvbapi file. I've done this and even deleted the whole script. seems to make no diffrence.

Last edited:
Confirmed. OSCAM seems to function no matter if its on or off, just turns off the WebIf.

Today I decided to open the CAM and see whats inside. Don't ask why, I'm just like that.

I took a stanley knife and cut the soldered joints on the metal case part and folded them back slightly. This revealed the circuit boards, 2 of them. The first board with the PCMCIA connector was just a card reader. The second board was a shaped like a card but on one end had extra circuits that connected to the chip. These exra circuits are covered by the black plastic case. I removed this again by sliping the knife in the joint and un clipping it.

The chip is obiously read by the PCMCIA card reader part and the extra circuits on the end had a circuit that looked like a USB circuit without the USB connector, just soldered to the board. This was most likely the memory as there appeared to radio transmitter/reciever underneath on the main board. There were also 2 JTAG type connections on this part of the board.

I then took the Card circuit and slotted it in to my Dreambox, the LED's lit up and i went to the computer to try to log on to the OSCAM WebIf. No luck. I then used a network scanner on my phone to chek if it had been assigned another IP address. It didnt show up.

Unfortunatly the image on my Dreambox dosent allow me to do much with the card reader slot.

I am now wondering, Is there another CAM i could use instead of the PCMCIA part of this?

Does anyone know what the spec's of the CAM are?

For some reason the CAM functioned a lttle better after this. Not a massive improvement, i wouldent reccommend anyone to go and do this to their CAM.

When i reconnected it to the TV it loaded and while i was on the computer doing something else, a channel came on, it was a HD movie channel, switched over to a news channel. It changed, then I tried switching to another sat with same encryption, it came on. Then going to a diffrent encryption channel worked. Then back to the same HD movie channel worked. Only when i tried to change the sound channel did it crash. During this time i probally got about 25 minutes near perfect viewing. The CAM came back on and again crashed and crashed again.

This may be something to do with the Dreambox providing extra power or the fact the connection between the card chip and the reader was better after I re connected it. Maybe i was just because i was a littel less demanding when changing channels.

its given me 1 or 2 ideas so i thought it was worth noteing.

Tried the new firmware last night (mca_f303), no difrence to stability

It has a new option though, Auto reset.

Does anyone know what the options mean? Filter on/off? Auto Reset on/off?

Ran another test on the new firmware, i got myself some 'test' c:line's, as many as i could get. Just to make it clear, i dont agree with the CS servers that operate by taking money for service. For educational purposes and need to have as many active lines to test, I managed to get 5 active lines connected to a load of cards. Adding them all to the OSCam on the CAM, I started my test.

It seems that there is not much improvement, the same line seemed to be used over. Channels that should open connecting to another line didn't seem to work.

I get the impression that tis is yet another issue to be overcome. You could have a line that opened everything but on this CAM it might not. and if you had 2 lines that opened everything, you might not be able to chane between the 2 lines without some work.

Firmware 3.12 and 3.13 seemed to come out at the same time.

I have upgraded to 3.13 and am running it now. No noticable improvement. In the TV's CI Application info it reports Firmware MCA v3.12, in the CAM's System Info it reports SW Ver:F3.13!

Still not stable
Minor freezing every few seconds on some SD and HD encrypted channels
HD channels with Dolby Digital sound have no sound and crash when sound is changed
OSCam dosen't asign cards to some packages when cards are availale
Still taking around 3 minutes to boot

afew weeks ago i opened the case of the cam, this site has abit of information and pictures of what i was looking at: hxxp://t-elebum.de/?tag=oscam

Back