Martial arts? Best stand ups?

A343

Inactive User
Reaction score
Heya,

There are rarely new threads here on martial arts? Dont even know if they do exist, so I'm going to create one; sports general.

Just to start off: First account here so bear :3 with me.

Anyway: What type of martial art do you consider to be the best in stand up?

I consider muay thai and dutch(japanese) kickboxing as the best types.

Muay thai: strong kicks, knees and elbows are devestating
Kickboxing: Strong boxing punches and Strong kicks that follow up.

Ive done kickboxing and now following muay thai.

So what about you? Which one do you guys prefer and why?

best for what, self defence, fitness, sport ?

You can add savate, tkd and jkd to the list and don't forget boxing, there is little to beat a well delivered good ol' fashion right cross.

all three actually.

In my opinion savate seems like a quick fighting style but it doesnt deliver much power in any hits? (I could be wrong)
Boxing on the other hand, as a sport is very dangerous because the only thing you do is bash on people's head (AS a sport), thats why there are so many deaths in boxing whereas in other sports. To me as a self-defence I dont think boxing is THAT strong, ofcourse its a great tool for self defence, but if you were up against someone that is able to kick/clinch (thai boxer) then you would be def in a huge disadvantage because you wouldnt know how to block most of them.
On a side note: the punches in boxing are DEVASTATING.

Taekwondo: ... a sport I guess? It doesnt seem fit for self defence, might seem great for fitness as it increases flexibilty and as a sport ofcourse. Its a flashy fighting style, strong kicks, but ofcourse not that much effective in my opinion.

JKD? Is that Jeet Kune Do? Damn ofcourse I shouldnt forget bruce's fighting style. I have yet to learn that one though, gotta find me a school that teaches it.

OK so as a sport / keep fit TDK is pretty tiring, on the street not so much.

For self defence, I know people dismiss it but boxing teaches a lot about keeping distance, balance, keeping a tight defence, footwork and striking from the core. All vital in self-defence situation.

As for self-defence think about when it going to happen, if you get blind sided think about how you got in that situation, is there anything you could have done to avoid it. The best defence is not to get attacked at all. If you are in a confrontational situation then think about talking down, again avoid physical contact. Look up fencing, a technique for control distance and control. And what it teaches is first strike which is why a good right cross is always useful. Remember most situations the attacker is either drunk, on drugs or has no or little training so get in there quick and hard and it ends most situations. Again why I point to boxing.

If it does get into a striking match then most situations end up in some sort of grappling or ground fighting. While stand up is great, my preference would be close the distance and control. The situation were I would avoid this is multiple attacker situation were my preference would be disable and escape at the first opportunity. Also throw in there the consequences of knocking somebody out are going to be worse then control and restraint.

TBH, boxing, kickboxing, muay thai, savate (watch UFC 1 if you want to see how devastating it can be), jkd, whatever. Learn something, make yourself more confident and less of a target.

Would have to say Wing Tsun for close quarter fighting, on your feet.

Would have to say Wing Tsun for close quarter fighting, on your feet.

From what I have seen and what people have told me, if you are that close then I most fights will be deteriorating into grappling.

As a Dan in TKD, it is handy for speed and stamina, but all the kicking styles are similar in this respect Against a boxer or some with fast hands you need to get in quickly and make the kick count. A good kick to torso or head can stop a fight dead. Earlier threads state sometimes fights become wrestlng matches, look at cage fighting. My Judo skills come in at close quarter grabbing if strikes or kicks are not easy option.

Well this really depends on the people's experience with martial arts.
Those that have less experience will try to use their strength in order to overwhelm, they lack powerful punches/kicks of any kind and thus will try to grapple them down.

Those that have high experience will use that martial art they have learnt and use those in order to quickly deal with the threats.
Powerful punches overwhelm a grappler trying to grapple the person.

In my case I fought against three, at that time I had learnt just a little bit of kickboxing and the good part was they had learnt it too so we didnt go to the ground otherwise I would be stomped down more easily. Luckily I was able to hold the fight long enough off (30 seconds) so that it could get stopped by some other person.

Back to your other post: you said that you wish to stay close, if you are a boxer and get close to a thai boxer, in my opinion you would get clinched, and would only be on the receiving end after that. The kicks would get you down way too easily.
Look at the UFC martial artists that have boxing as their stand up, they are forced to learn some kicks otherwise their whole fighting stance is going to be incomparable to all the other ones.

First I forgot to mention Krav Maga which I favour their training in working on a few techniques well rather then trying to learn a hundred different techniques.

And generally boxers avoid clinching on the street, that is not where their strength is. What I was saying that people who are not trained generally tend to try and clinch and overpower or just bull rush/double leg take down which BTW there is only sensible defence against.

As for grappling vs striking in 1 on 1, look at MMA, of course you need to be well rounded but aside from the spider, most of the top guys come from a grappling background. I've trained against muay thai and judoka guys and if those judoka grab a hold, you are get a hold of you then you are in trouble. But as I said, on the street you don't want to be in a clinch and you don't want to be grappling if fighting multiple attackers.

Anyway, whatever you train in, you really need to spar full contact and full power every now and then to get a feeling for what it's like under pressure. I've seen plenty of people just freeze when punched in the face.

Anyway, whatever you train in, you really need to spar full contact and full power every now and then to get a feeling for what it's like under pressure. I've seen plenty of people just freeze when punched in the face.

Couldn't agree more. You have got to be fit and able to withstand a bit of a pummeling yourself. I'm a small stocky fella with good handspeed and a quite devastating set of knockout punches, but i'll admit I would be bolloxed after a few mins if my opponent was still swinging. My defence is based totally in knocking you down....then I'm off! You know when you have tanked someone a proper good 'un and it can be frightening what ur capable of. Unfortunately some people who can look after themselves won't stop until they've made a mess of others so its best to get out soon as. If you are relying on sheer power, you need to concentrate on accuracy and a contingency plan if you miss!!!

Couldn't agree more. You have got to be fit and able to withstand a bit of a pummeling yourself. I'm a small stocky fella with good handspeed and a quite devastating set of knockout punches, but i'll admit I would be bolloxed after a few mins if my opponent was still swinging. My defence is based totally in knocking you down....then I'm off! You know when you have tanked someone a proper good 'un and it can be frightening what ur capable of. Unfortunately some people who can look after themselves won't stop until they've made a mess of others so its best to get out soon as. If you are relying on sheer power, you need to concentrate on accuracy and a contingency plan if you miss!!!

I think you should be already in most situations, most street fights rarely go on for more then minute and anybody who has trained full power for a minute will know how knackering that is.

I was just thinking of this thread earlier. I got caught in tailbacks on the M25 this morning and some **** of a taxi driver tries to cut me up and hooting at me and giving me the finger and stuff. Of course stupid thing is nobody is going anywhere. Old me would have got out of the car, new me thinks what is the point ? I know he may be venting his anger at me, but he does not know me, its not personal and he is just a twat so why waste my time on. Of course if he had gotten out of his taxi that would have been a different matter but until then, chill out and let him get red mist. One day he is going to meet somebody who is not as nice as me.

Back