Man Jailed For Attacking Intruder Is Freed

Rodbouy

Banned
Reaction score
Man Jailed For Attacking Intruder Is Freed
1:23pm UK, Wednesday January 20, 2010

David Williams, Sky News Online

A man who was jailed for attacking a burglar with a cricket bat after his family were threatened at knife-point by intruders has been freed.

Businessman Munir Hussain, of High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, saw his 30-month jail term reduced to a two-year suspended sentence by the Court of Appeal.

Hussain's 35-year-old brother Tokeer - who was also jailed for the attack - had his 39-month sentence cut to two years.

Following the ruling at London's High Court, Munir Hussain's son Awais said his family was "extremely grateful" to the judges for their decision.

"It will great to have my father home immediately and my thoughts are with my uncle, Tokeer Hussain, who will not be released yet," he said.

The brothers had been jailed after a court found them guilty of causing grievous bodily harm with intent following the burglary on September 3 2008.

Munir Hussain and his wife and children had returned from their local mosque during Ramadan to find men wearing balaclavas in their home.

Tokeer Hussain will remain in jail

He said he feared for their lives as their hands were tied behind their backs and they were forced to crawl from room to room.

After freeing himself he contacted Tokeer to help chase the offenders down the street in High Wycombe, bringing one to the ground.

The intruder, Walid Salem, 56, suffered permanent brain damage after he was struck with a cricket bat so hard it broke into three pieces.

The Hussain brothers denied being involved in that violence.

Salem's injuries meant he was not fit to plead after being charged with false imprisonment. He was given a two-year supervision order.

On Tuesday, the Court of Appeal rejected a bid from Hussain to appeal his conviction.

But Lord Chief Justice Lord Judge, and two other judges in London, said they would respond to a "call for mercy" from barristers representing the brothers, agreeing there was "ample justification" to free Munir Hussain and reduce Tokeer's sentence.

It was quite terrifying. It will be difficult to get over. I do not think the family will get over it.

Munir Hussain's son Awais speaks outside the High Court.
Lord Judge described the case as one of "true exceptionality", remarking that while Munir's sentence of two years was in itself "merciful", it would be suspended.

But he added: "This trial had nothing to do with the right of the householder to defend themselves or their families or their homes.

"The burglary was over and the burglars had gone. No one was in any further danger from them."

Awais Hussain described the intrusion and subsequent trial and imprisonment as "a terrible ordeal" for the family.

"It was quite terrifying. It will be difficult to get over. I do not think the family will get over it," he added outside the High Court.

Neither of the brothers was present in court to hear the judges' decision.

Awais said it was hoped his father would be released later today and family members would be going to Bullingdon Prison in Oxfordshire to bring him home.

Am sorry, but WTF is going on in this justice system that we constantly favour the guilty.

Why was this family even in court to justify them self. They were in his home they have every right to smash the F****ers head in with a bat, and still now they only suspend the conviction!!!!!!!

Disgrace

if any Intruder is in anyone home ,as far as i care there have no rights just kill them

Am sorry, but WTF is going on in this justice system that we constantly favour the guilty.

Why was this family even in court to justify them self. They were in his home they have every right to smash the F****ers head in with a bat, and still now they only suspend the conviction!!!!!!!

Disgrace

Couldn't agree more.
As i argued on another thread, if they enter your house then they have no rights.
End of story..

Couldn't agree more.
As i argued on another thread, if they enter your house then they have no rights.
End of story..
ya right there mate, the coonts would of still been tied up in my garage now, gettin a daily dose of punishment the scummy twats!

i read this today on sky and it said that he hit the guy that hard with the cricket bat that it broke in 3 places. What force must have been behind that.....should be in the England starting 11 lol

i saw on mythbusters, where they proved that its impossible to hit something with a bit of wood and for it to break into 3 peices

There's a big difference between hitting a robber for six in your own home and chasing him for miles before wrapping a SS Jumbo around his head.

These guys went too far IMHO, you can't take the law into your own hands, there would be anarchy.

I blame the juries, if I was on the jury in his case I would have said not guilty: regardless of the judges summing up.

These guys went too far IMHO, you can't take
the law into your own hands, there would be anarchy.

Done it before and I'll do it again.

Protect what is yours IMO.

Granted. But I would be hard pushed to find any man on this forum who came home and found their wife and kids tied up and not stop chasing them till you got them and dealt with them. We can allow a vigilante mob running about but unless we have a strong a decisive justice system then people like the scum who tried to rob this family deserve everything they get.

My brother met guys son hes well happy that his father is out off prison:Clap:

There's a big difference between hitting a robber for six in your own home and chasing him for miles before wrapping a SS Jumbo around his head.

These guys went too far IMHO, you can't take the law into your own hands, there would be anarchy.

B**** this is why this country is going to hell ,we have to many laws protecting the guilty and not enough to protect the innocent

these men broke into his house terrified his family because they are lazy scum who could not be bothered to get off there ass and do a honest day's work
the only people I feel sorry for is the family who will no longer feel safe in their own home

most of the time i think that americas are pretty much behind the rest of the world (in terms of thinking) by about 5 years.

But they've defintaly got it right where if some d*ck has the balls to come into your home without asking you should be able to do what ever the f*ck u want to them!!

Good on him gald he's out!

But they've defintaly got it right where if some d*ck has the balls to come into your home without asking you should be able to do what ever the f*ck u want to them!!
So if your child sneaks into the neighbors garden to nick an apple, you would be OK with watching over the fence while Mr. Wilson slowly feeds him through the wood chipper?

So if your child sneaks into the neighbors garden to nick an apple, you would be OK with watching over the fence while Mr. Wilson slowly feeds him through the wood chipper?

To be fair thats hardly the same as going into someones house and tying up the wife and kids

To be fair thats hardly the same as going into someones house and tying up the wife and kids
No, of course it isn't. Which is why we have to have laws that only allow a proportional level of violence to be applied when dealing with such matters.

Back