mame and USB competiton pro joystick?

Colin

Inactive User
Reaction score
is there a version of mame thats easy to use in terms of setting up a joystick?

i use mame 0.141

with this joystick...
[ame=http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-PC-Controller-Gamepad-Joypad-Arcade-Joystick-DIGI-/130498380773?pt=PCA_Joysticks_Game_Controllers&hash=item1e624f43e5]USB PC Controller Gamepad Joypad Arcade Joystick DIGI - eBay (item 130498380773 end time Apr-16-11 02:24:37 PDT)[/ame]

really easy to set up....

i can upload my mame files if you want

You can use MAME with any joystick on the pc. You just assign the keys to buttons on the joystick.

The only problem is that some joysticks only have a couple of buttons and MAME needs more.

To play a game you need a button to enter "coins" and a "1 player" "2 player" selection as well as a "start/select" and "esc" to quite a game. If you are playing near your keyboard then it's ok.

I have MAME setup on a small PC connected to my TV using Game-ex frontend, plus about 7 other emulators inc. PS1, N64, SNES, Megadrive, Daphne (laser disc games like the original Dragon Lair).

In total there's about 12000 fully working games.

I use a Saitek P3200 joypad (looks like a ps3 pad) it has enough buttons to include everything I need plus a very long USB lead so I can sit on the sofa.
You have a program on the PC to control the keys that are mapped to the joypad. Every button the saitek is re-mappable.

[ame]http://cgi.ebay.com/U53-Saitek-P3600-PP26U-Force-Rumble-Game-Pad-Controller-/320592764574?pt=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item4aa4d15e9e[/ame]

Last edited:
ive only got a couple of roms at the moment.

i was only after kung fu master and megazone.
great fun....

i'll need to download some more, the joystick makes all the diffrence,
i have a usb playstation type controller, but it wasn't the same.......

I had the USB joypad lying around anyways, it's good for most games as it works in both analog and digital modes.

Originally I was going to make a MAME cabinet, but we aint got the room.

The joypad comes in handy playing the other emulators as nearly all of them used a pad and not a stick, and emulators like the PS1 needs the extra buttons like the shoulder buttons and triggers. The shoulder buttons are also good for using as flippers for the Virtual Pinball emulator.

the controller i had was a little more basic lol

[ame=http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-PC-Controller-Gamepad-Game-pad-Joypad-Joystick-/110663461767?pt=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item19c40e6b87]USB PC Controller Gamepad Game pad Joypad Joystick | eBay[/ame]

cant remember where i got it or why... lol

@ Colin.

Are you talking about the original Competition Pro mate? (the one that came out in the 80's for the C64 etc)

If so then forget it mate, too many arcade games need more than one 'fire' button, it'll be ok for really old games, but anything newer and you'll run out of buttons. :)

You can use MAME with any joystick on the pc. You just assign the keys to buttons on the joystick.

The only problem is that some joysticks only have a couple of buttons and MAME needs more.

To play a game you need a button to enter "coins" and a "1 player" "2 player" selection as well as a "start/select" and "esc" to quite a game. If you are playing near your keyboard then it's ok.

I have MAME setup on a small PC connected to my TV using Game-ex frontend, plus about 7 other emulators inc. PS1, N64, SNES, Megadrive, Daphne (laser disc games like the original Dragon Lair).

In total there's about 12000 fully working games.

I use a Saitek P3200 joypad (looks like a ps3 pad) it has enough buttons to include everything I need plus a very long USB lead so I can sit on the sofa.
You have a program on the PC to control the keys that are mapped to the joypad. Every button the saitek is re-mappable.

U53 Saitek P3600 PP26U Force Rumble Game Pad Controller | eBay

any chance of a link to download the ems your using? i think im going to go for the arcade stick buzzer highlighted in his first post.. looks good

deffo going to get all the emus setup to run on my 32" lcd in bedroom.. (pc is connected to that anyway)

i have all the mame roms ill ever need but if anyone has any nzbs to the others cheers lol i have all the snes ones as well i think but again recomendations for best emu again?

wouldnt mind getting amiga one setup but from memory isnt it a pain in the arse with multiple disks and kickstarts?

get your emu's, roms here m8...

MAME Roms at ROMNation.NET

think ive said it before but your ok for a supporter of the other lot lol, was hoping to bulk download but good start mate :)

PS Kung Fu master was just too hard after about 10 mins! lol great game though,

Some favs of mine green beret, wonderboy, pacland, rtype and im sure ill think of others lol

lol, kung fu masters the bolloks m8.
anyway if your buying that joystick, this is the place i got it from, came in 2 days....

[ame=http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310293267538]NEW RETRO 8 WAY PRO GAMING USB COMPUTER/PC JOYSTICK UK on eBay (end time 04-Apr-11 16:32:10 BST)[/ame]

if u get a good bulk d/l, give us shout m8....

Last edited:
think ive said it before but your ok for a supporter of the other lot lol, was hoping to bulk download but good start mate :)

PS Kung Fu master was just too hard after about 10 mins! lol great game though,

Some favs of mine green beret, wonderboy, pacland, rtype and im sure ill think of others lol

If you want to bulk download and are not too bothered about really fast speed, I've got around 8900 roms and 275 CHD files on my ftp. 182gb.

They have been verified and fixed/updated using CLRmamepro v3.137d and are verified using the latest MAME v1.41 u2 DAT files.

Back