Making a pot of chips.

You're bang on :)

I don't do breakfast, and how dare my body learn how to tell time!

Blimming bodies, who'd have them?

:(

I know m8 it's not right.

I can go all day without so much as a sip of water.

3 in the morning i'm sleep eating my way through a packet of 6 morrisons jam donuts and 3 pints of feckin milk.

WTF is it all about?

i would love to make chips that you get from a chinese or an indian takeaway. i know its just frozen chips cooked in oil. does anyone know what kind of oil is used. i was in costco in glasgow today and noticed that the big drums of cooking oil you buy says long life on the side. i wonder if its that type.

i would love to make chips that you get from a chinese or an indian takeaway. i know its just frozen chips cooked in oil. does anyone know what kind of oil is used. i was in costco in glasgow today and noticed that the big drums of cooking oil you buy says long life on the side. i wonder if its that type.

I thought they used sunflower oil?

Really ???

I know I eat them sometimes but thats just cos I want junk food, real chips taste nothing like those in Chinese ot Indian.

Peel some spuds, cut into chips, deep fry them...you will love them...:proud:

Really ???

I know I eat them sometimes but thats just cos I want junk food, real chips taste nothing like those in Chinese ot Indian.

Peel some spuds, cut into chips, deep fry them...you will love them...:proud:

Agreed Jaffa mate. Personally I can't stick those Chinese/etc clone chips!

we have similar, verrry nice, as an alternative instead of salt sprinkle an small amount of Cajun spice.....

We fry our chips twice, we have also do the wedges in spice.....as hatab says very nice

Its Palm nut oil mate.
I only know because i used to be in the catering trade and i know a man that works for Friars Pride oil.
You can buy alot of diffrent oil/fat mixes.
The best tasting, but very bad for you is the old fashioned Pork & beef fat.
Bought in blocks and melted in the frier.
Not very good the old heart as its loaded with saturated fat, but tastes the best.
Very few chip shops use it these days.

The next best thing is a mix of Animal Fat & veg oil, again in a block thats melted.
Taste wise this is almost the same as above, but needs to be changed more often than pure veg oil and costs more.

Then there are lots of diffrent blends of veg oil, all with diffrent tastes and costs involved.

The premium oil and the best for you (if there is such a thing) is Palm nut oil, and thats the one your local chinese will probably use.
It has a unique flavour, but is a premium oil.

One of my local chip shop uses it (not a chinese) and its nearly the best chip shop in town.
The best one i know uses Animal fat, traditional and still tastes the best.

So now you have an insight into Chip shop oils/fats used.

Bet you didn't think you would get that from a tree surgeon ,Lol

On a diffrent note, some Potato's make better chips than others!
If you are getting your chips browing to much, then the sugar content in the spud is to high, hence the sugar caramelises.
Did you know that the humble spub is likely to be your main source of vitamin C?
King Edwards make the best chips!!!!!!!

I have always fried my chips till golden, then sit in the bask and drip dry then redunk the chips till crispy.

cant beat home made chips

we have similar, verrry nice, as an alternative instead of salt sprinkle an small amount of Cajun spice.....

Cajun spice sounds very nice might have a wack at that I love jamican jerk aswell put it in everything.

ps no funny jokes about getting jerked off jamicans :mad:)

after reading this a serious question, do people still cut the tatty and chip em?

not heard of anyone for years making there own with a spud, seems to be all oven chips and frozen chips nowdays,

im not a big chip eater (only with my junk food delivered to my door).

seriously how many of you do make your own?

all i can picture is spuds and a pan on the stove with a basket and some fat in it,

i should make a poll lol.

I hate oven chips Ive always peeled my own I used to fry but I oven bake them now just as nice,

Did you know if you take your old frying pan to your local fire station they bin it and give you a brand new Kenwood Deep Fat Frier the do it in the whole of newcastle 1 per houshold only you need a couple of paper bills thats all.

If they do it in Newcastle I think they will do it everywhere bet it,s saved a few lives aswell :Fish:

We don't deep fry chips. We have an Tefal Actifry. You use just 1 table spoon of oil, I prefer extra virgin olive oil, put in the chips and they fry, and come out perfect. It uses hot air, like a hair dryer, to cook the chips, it has a paddle to rotate the chips. Doesn't matter if we use oven, frozen or real potatoes (maris pipers or Rooster spuds are best for chips, also King Edwards or Sante are good.(INFO-The Potato Council)) they all come out perfect everytime.

Less fat so not as bad for you as deep fried chips.

Also it does southern fried chicken perfect too.

Cajun spice sounds very nice might have a wack at that I love jamican jerk aswell put it in everything.

ps no funny jokes about getting jerked off jamicans :mad:)

Cajun spice is very nice mate...also try fajita spice mix

What you do with your Jamacan freinds and a few cans of Red Stripe is up to you

Back