Making a pot of chips.

I can still remember the days when my mum would make chips and the basket was stuck solid in the fat. Was great watching the lard melt as the gas was turned up.In them days we had chips every other day.

Andy.

exactly, when i was a kid thats how it was done, just didnt know it still went on.

grandad never wasted anything, sunday dinner left overs turned into mondays fryup,

nothing tasted better, the old days inc dripping, real chips and fryups.

I can still remember the days when my mum would make chips and the basket was stuck solid in the fat. Was great watching the lard melt as the gas was turned up.In them days we had chips every other day.

My mrs made some earlier from spuds and reckons they cheaper than buying frozen chips.
Still not as good as me mam used to make.

Andy.

I bet you wrote your name in the lard before it melted...lol

Tesco actually sell bags of cut chips now, not frozen crap.

exactly, when i was a kid thats how it was done, just didnt know it still went on.

grandad never wasted anything, sunday dinner left overs turned into mondays fryup,

nothing tasted better, the old days inc dripping, real chips and fryups.

All that fat and we were like rakes,not like today with all these fat fuckers

Andy.

I do the same as Jaffa. I'll usually do them for the lad once a week, and always blanch them first, then just chuck them back in the fryer when he's home from School to finish the job. Gammon, egg and chips, he loves it. (I'm quite partial to it meself!)

no food is ever nicer than what your own mum makes. My mum makes the best fry, it looks like eff all but tastes unbelievably good.

I always thought so until a few years back.

I popped into my Mums one morning and she offered me a fry up, obviously I had to accept ;)

She hadn't cooked the egg properly, the white was still clear gel in parts and the Yolk was fridge cold. lol, I couldn't eat it and I've never eaten anything in her house since.

:)

who else has been on ebay to look a potato chippers since this thread started?

oh only me.......

U lazy git!

I don't even use a potato peeler, I skin them with an old knife :)

Like Rambo.

If I were to make a pot of chips from scratch, I'd peel the potatoes, then cut them into chip sized chunks and deep fat fry them until golden brown and soft in the middle.

Now I've just discovered that I've been doing it WRONG all these years, apparrently, according to Wiki, you are supposed to fry them twice. :err:

Who fries their chips twice?
i do them the same as you mate peel the potatoes, then cut them into chip sized chunks and deep fat fry them until golden brown and soft in the middle. they taste great so i wouldn't go exploring ,if it works don't try fixing it lol

not a huge chip fan but I just wash the spuds, don't peel, chip em up leave soaking in water for 30mins and fry the feck out of em, lots of salt and vinegar, yumity-yum.

But still prefer the fried scallopy things from our local chippy, big wad of potato encased in batter with scratchings on the side.....cholesterol city, can't be beat :)

But still prefer the fried scallopy things from our local chippy, big wad of potato encased in batter with scratchings on the side.....cholesterol city, can't be beat :)

Round here we call those 'Fritters'.

Delicious and deadly. :)

I always thought so until a few years back.

I popped into my Mums one morning and she offered me a fry up, obviously I had to accept ;)

She hadn't cooked the egg properly, the white was still clear gel in parts and the Yolk was fridge cold. lol, I couldn't eat it and I've never eaten anything in her house since.

:)

My mum is the opposite, the egg is actually crispy around the outside of the egg white and she does fried bread which I never do when making a fry.

@dave.....scallops are the dogs nutz m8.

Veda is a malt bread and veg roll is sausage meat (beef) with leaks and other veg not to sure what else is in it.

Sounds.....hmmmm.

Leaks in a fry up? :err:

I suppose it one of those things that you need to try before passing comment. :)

Back