CD & DVD macrovision protected vhs to dvd

Super Tele

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi All,
Has the best way round this moved on any in the last couple of years?
Have looked round the forum and the latest I could find was from 2009.
Hhttps://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/221423/
Do you still have to buy a box that sits between the VCR and the DVD recorder to remove the macrovision protection?

I have some old vhs that i want to put onto dvd.

Last edited by a moderator:
The pin removal is to stop tvs from switching to av channels automatically.

There used to be ways of doing what you want but it seems like a hassle. Especially as the quality will still be as it was from the VHS. You would be better cough downloading cough the films then putting them to disk.

You need a Macrovision decoder. I have one somewhere. Cost me about £60 back in the day, which I thought was bloody expensive at the time!

I suspect it's for transferring VHS tapes that are not available in any other format

Thanks to everyone for your replies.
Looks like the situation hasn't moved on re vhs with macrovision protection and you still need a decoder to transfer to dvd.

I know it's an old thread, but only just come across it, I remember I had a mac blaster powered scart lead, which was a 12v powered scart lead with a built in macro vision decoder.

CBS Fox, WB, RCA Coumbia, were deffo copy protected,
CIC, Guild, Universal, United Artist never had protection on them

There was many others but off top of y head can't remember

Well wouldn't you know it, I threw one out today that I used to use years ago...

twin scart n all that, we are moving end of month so had a mass clear out .... told the Mrs it would come in handy but oh no she said get rid..

"if you can see or hear it, it can be copied" :)

Cant you use one of those vhs to pc kits that just plug into the video outputs on a vhs player so it plays on the pc with the provided software and record it onto your pc?

I cant believe an old vhs player can detect that happening?! Or was copy protection more advanced back then?

hmmm
i copied a dizknee movie the one with zipperdy doo daa song all i did was plug the video player into my 'tv in card' on the pc using the 'out' coax socket on the video player
the video player decodes the macrovision for you this way

Hi folks,
I am the OP and only just realised this thread had got more replies.
So........ if I buy a vhs to pc kit like this USB 2.0 to 3 RCA Audio S-Video TV VHS DVD+ RW Capture Converter PC Adapter Cable
I can play the vhs on the pc using VLC?
Can I then record to DVD using VLC? I only use VLC to play files and its not immediately obvious to me (a bit thick) how to record with it.

Cheers

After you have captured the video using your USB, you can convert the file you have produced to DVD using something like Freemake Video Converter, Free Video Converter | MP3 MP4 AVI 3GP MKV DVD | FREE Download

After you have captured the video using your USB, you can convert the file you have produced to DVD using something like Freemake Video Converter, Free Video Converter | MP3 MP4 AVI 3GP MKV DVD | FREE Download
Cheers m8,
Its the 'capture' bit that I was unsure of. These vhs to pc kits are supposed to come with software that allows you to capture and save to file. Then I would convert to DVD using something like freemake.
Just wondering what this 'capture' software is and is it already available as part of other media player software such as VLC.

Back