Looking to add some additions to the site

Mick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
As the tittle says I am looking to expand dw and extra functionality to the members ?

I am not with the latest trends so does anyone have any ideas of what we could add to the site for the members ?

All ideas are welcome

Regards
Mickie

I like RSS feeds what kind chris ?

@ witchy we can bring back a radio no problem who will be playing lol.

Mickie

Can u not have it on automatic random play, or does it need a DJ?

Chris I am going to try and write something should be pretty simple to make a news section and have a few categories to start with... its only pulling RSS so should be pretty easy to do.

@ Witchy I will try and get a radio installed today too.

Regards
Mickie

Mickey, you can get the RSS script to send updates about new posts in different sections, or just any new posts... So for example someone could request rss updates when there is a new post in the health and fitness section, might look something like this. www.digitalworldz.co.uk/rss.php?section=1827 - something like that.

A compiled news Rss like what Mairyhinge is asking for, you can compile things like that using Yahoo Pipes (I think it's called), specifying key words and it grabs news items from around the web for you and compiles them into your rss feed. Google do something like that too I think. You could then display that feed here on the site somewhere or members could subscribe to the RSS in their newsreader sotfware.

Probably best to search the net for the top vBulletin plugins to see what others are using, what's hot and what's not!

I looked for a plugin but there was not anything really I want to add something where there is a coloumn on the left for you to either search or choose from feeds already listed.

I dunno I use newsnow everyday and thought something like that but on a much smaller scale might be nice ?

Regards
Mickie

I'm still waiting for the coffee machine plugin for the staff room.

Like all things max its coming ;)

right I had a mess about and came up with this yes there is nothing there lol but still you get the picture... I had more trouble with the tables than I did with the code and script :(

Digital World Presents - Your News Portal

I will do some more work tomorrow on this try and make it usable lol.

Mickie

Guys cannot find anything for a radio plugin except the TV and Radio plugin which is what we had a few years back but was not used.

I will look into some streaming but we would really need people to either make something that could be put on loop or actually have people streaming to members.

Also tried to make the newsportal search but found a snag in the google api it will only pull feeds which might be interesting if we have drop down or just link news that people want to read - ie most used topics.

Will have a go tomorrow with the news portal.

Regards
Mickie

How about a Hot Links section? I can never really find a suitable section so they end up in General Chat.

well, i know i will get some s4it for saying so but i just dont like the new layouts at all.

i dont pretend to understand but i know the change was due to coding issues but i liked the old SB, and my old theme as well.

it just doesnt make my willie rock hard (with a big blue vein and a purple head) like it used to !

:)

i like cake though

You gotta move with change mate... everything changes. Upgrading the site will be good for a number of reason: faster, more secure, less drain on server resources, save on bandwidth, new features etc...

I'm sure Micky will add a few more skins in time

I for one would like to see a graphic/picture threed,
may be stick it in the pc section.

were we can show our graphics, pictures,
also members can ask for an avatar or they need something doing to a picture they have ie made bigger/smaller/add graphics/text/animation to them or even repaired if possiable,
or they need a design doing for a logo/header/tshirt/website....what ever really.:banana:

Back