Liverpool News

Yossi Fee Agreed, Babel Talks Begin

100707_ryan_babel_120_2.jpg

Liverpool have agreed a fee with West Ham for the transfer of Yossi Benayoun as the Reds also look to secure a deal to bring Dutch youngster Ryan Babel to Anfield.
Benayoun has agreed to join the Reds after rejecting an offer of a new contract at West Ham United while Babel, the star of Holland's success in the recent European Under-21 Championships, has been given permission to talk to Liverpool.

Chief Executive Rick Parry said today: "We've agreed the fee with West Ham for Yossi Benayoun.

"We're not quite there with Ryan Babel yet, but we've now been given permission by Ajax to talk to the player. We hope to reach an agreement with Ajax very shortly."

Benayoun today, Babbel tomorrow. There might be one more surprise up Rafa's sleave, but at least we haven't dithered this time and wound up buying no-one. The problem now is getting the team to gel quickly and avoiding the slow start we've been getting used to recently.

BTW it's good to see Dudek getting a half-decent job. He'll always be remembered for that penalty save...

Last edited:
All we need now is a central defender and were ready for the season, with yhe right wing covered too we'll see the best of gerrard!

Yossi Benayoun Signs For Liverpool

100707_yossi_benayoun_120_4.jpg

Rafael Benitez today explained why he was so keen to bring Yossi Benayoun to Anfield after the Israeli international completed his switch to Liverpool.

The 27-year-old midfielder put pen to paper on a deal that will keep him at Anfield until 2011 on Thursday afternoon and Benitez believes he's just the player the Reds need to add extra creativity to their forward play.

"I first saw him play for Racing Santander in La Liga when he was a really good player, but when he first came to England we were watching to be sure he could adapt to a different style of football," said the Liverpool boss.

"It's clear he's done this very well at West Ham. Liverpool fans will remember how he played in the FA Cup Final against us when he was outstanding. We thought then this was a player who is capable of stepping up to a higher level.

"He was offered a big new contract at West Ham and received offers from a lot of other clubs offering him more money but Yossi's message was always the same. He said he was desperate to only join Liverpool because this was his dream. When Rick, the Americans and I spoke about the player, we all agreed this is the kind of attitude we and our supporters really like.

"When you have quality players with his ability showing so much passion to play for your club, it's really good for the team."

Under existing regulation, Liverpool will apply for a new work permit for the player.

Babel Set To Sign On Friday

100707_ryan_babel_120_2.jpg

Liverpool have confirmed that they have now agreed terms with both Ajax and Ryan Babel ahead of Dutch international's transfer to Anfield on Friday.

The 20-year-old attacker will put pen to paper on his Anfield deal tomorrow after agreeing personal terms and passing a medical on Merseyside.

"Liverpool have agreed terms with Ajax and Ryan Babel himself and the player will sign a 5-year-deal on Friday," claimed Liverpool Spokesperson Ian Cotton on Thursday afternoon.

Babel, who can play as a winger or in attack, saw his reputation soar after playing a starring role in Holland's triumph in last month's European Under-21 Championships. He was named man of the match after scoring a goal in his country's 4-1 final victory over Serbia.

He has been capped 14 times by the full Dutch team and scored on his debut against Romania in March 2005.

Babel Signs Five Year Deal

100707_ryan_babel_120_1.jpg

Liverpool have today confirmed the signing of Ryan Babel on a five year contract.

The 20 year old Dutch international agreed the terms of his move from Ajax yesterday and will be officially unveiled as a Liverpool player alongside fellow new boy Yossi Benayoun this afternoon.

"I was in Aruba at the end of last week when I was told to start thinking about Liverpool because a move could happen," Babel said. "I have met Rafael Benítez and my conversation with him was the moment I knew the deal would get done.

"He is like the ideal father-in-law. He has a lot of football knowhow and he told me that I would be challenging with six other players for four positions. I have a good feeling about things.

"I met Dirk Kuyt at training, who I knew from the national team. At that moment he did not feel like a rival but I suppose that is what will happen.

"It was very important how the coach spoke to me, how I would fit in his team. After that conversation I knew it was the right decision."

Babel will wear the number 19 shirt at Anfield with Benayoun taking over the number 11 jersey.

i still think we need a winger - although babel can play on the left - i think we should be signing quaresma

i still think we need a winger - although babel can play on the left - i think we should be signing quaresma

your on your own there m8 I'm happy with what Benitez has bought and I think now we should bring player up through the ranks as these days it cost millions for them.

your on your own there m8 I'm happy with what Benitez has bought and I think now we should bring player up through the ranks as these days it cost millions for them.

He's certainly got enough new players in his squad, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was one more in his sights. Looking at his squad, a defender could be possible.

Here's who's new to the squad this season...
Andriy Voronin striker from Germany, Sebastian Leto a left winger, Alexander Kacaniklic another left winger, Lucas Leiva a midfielder, Krisztian Nemeth and Andras Simon both Hungarian strikers, Gary Mackay Steven (Ross County) midfielder, Marvin Pourie striker, Nikolay Mihaylov plays in nets, Mikel San Jose Spanish central defender, Daniel Pachecho striker, Mihail Aleksandrov midfielder, Ben Robinson (Stockport) goalie, Fernando Torres, Ryan Crowther (Stockport) midfielder, David Amoo (Millwall) striker, Ryan Babel, Yossi Benayoun, and three graduates from the Academy given contracts - Jay Spearing midfielder, Ray Putterill midfielder and Martin Hansen goalie.

I make that 21 players. Some have gone (FSPongolle, Bellamy, Cisse, Luis Garcia, Jerzy Dudek, Bolo Zenden, Robbie Fowler, Mark Gonzalez and probably others that don't spring to mind) to make way, and some have gone out on loan.

It's interesting that Arbeloa has changed from squad no.2 to no.17. What did I say about us buying a defender..?

i'm pretty sure hes got a defender on the cards, question is who??? if we do get one thats us ready to make a serious challenge, to be honest i think this will be our season.

We've got:
LB - Riise, Aurelio
RB - Finnan, Arbeloa
CB - Carra, Hyppia, Agger, Paletta
plus some teenagers.

It looks pretty evenly spread, so who do you think's the weak link?

if I was after a defender I would look for one that can play in all positions just like Carragher but are very rare specially if your trying to find one anywhere near his tallent

Last edited:
I've just looked up Rafa's selection stats for last season:
Riise 48 games; Aurelio 25 games
Finnan 47 games; Arbeloa 35 games
Carra 51 games; Hyppia 29 games; Agger 43 games; Paletta 8 games

Going off that (unreliable) guide Rafa'll be after a centre back. Paletta never really lived up to the hype did he?
We've been linked with Leighton Baines, but he's a left back.

I've just looked up Rafa's selection stats for last season:
Riise 48 games; Aurelio 25 games
Finnan 47 games; Arbeloa 35 games
Carra 51 games; Hyppia 29 games; Agger 43 games; Paletta 8 games

Going off that (unreliable) guide Rafa'll be after a centre back. Paletta never really lived up to the hype did he?
We've been linked with Leighton Baines, but he's a left back.

there's a few young talented centre backs in the england U21 squad
Steven Taylor (Newcastle)
Anton Ferdinand (West Ham Utd)
Nedum Onuoha (Manchester City)
Liam Rosenior (Fulham)

Reds make Mancini contact

mancini-alessandro.jpg

Liverpool are mulling over a move for Roma's Alessandro Mancini, according to the player's agent.

Mancini enjoyed a superb campaign last season and has reportedly attracted the attention of several clubs, including Juventus and Liverpool.

His representative Gilmar Veloz claims he has talked with Rafa Benitez about a possible transfer, although he admits the two clubs have yet to enter negotiations.

"There has been interest from Liverpool and I have spoken with Benitez," Veloz told Radio Centro Suono Sport.

"I replied that they must talk with Roma, but if the Giallorossi were to sell him I'd have no trouble striking a deal."

Mancini's current contract runs out in 2009 but Veloz insists his client would like to remain with the club.

However, the Brazilian has yet to agree a contract extension and Veloz admits his future remains uncertain.

He explained: "On Monday I'll be meeting with Roma sporting director Daniele Prade to talk about contracts, I don't know what their offer is yet."

"Does Mancini want to stay? Surely if he didn't he would have already left."

Reports in the Italian press suggest Mancini will consider leaving if he is not offered a substantial pay rise.

By Nadia Carminati - Created on 14 Jul 2007
Sky Sports

Last edited:
Reds Appoint New Goalkeeping Coach

Paul Eaton 14 July 2007
LFC Web site

general_120_01.jpg

Liverpool have confirmed the appointment of Xavi Valero as their new first team Goalkeeping Coach. The 34 year old takes over the role from Jose Ochotorena who is returning to work in Spain at Valencia.

Valero began his professional career as a goalkeeper with Castellon in 1992, before moving onto Mallorca, Logrones, Murcia, Cordoba and Recreativo de Huelva in Spain.

He also spent a short time with Wrexham where he put into practice the English he had studied at the University of Castellon. He holds a Master in Goalkeeper Coaching from the Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) and a Master of Sports Psychology from Madrid Univeristy (UNED). Valero previously worked with Jose Ochotorena at Logrones.

He said "I am proud and pleased to be part of the fantastic backroom staff at Liverpool FC and to be continuing the excellent work that Ocho has set up here. I remember playing for a short time in the UK and I think Liverpool has the most exciting future. I am delighted to be here"

Liverpool Manager Rafa Benitez added: "Xavi is an important addition to our backroom staff and I'm looking forward to working with him. Having trained with Ochotorena before, Xavi understands very well the way we think and he is ideally suited to carrying on all the good work that he has done.

"I also want to say thank you to Ocho for all his hard work over the past three years and wish him all the best for the future."

Back