Liverpool News

Jamie Carragher has been ruled out of this weekend's clash with Derby, though Rafa Benitez is hopeful of having his vice-captain back for the trip to Pompey in two weeks' time.
While Carra is still recovering from a broken rib, skipper Steven Gerrard is also likely to miss out because of a hairline fracture in his toe.

The midfielder was today selected in the England squad for the Euro qualifiers against Israel and Russia.

Benitez revealed Gerrard was eager to play, but any decision is likely to rest on discussions between the medical teams in both camps.

He said: "Carra is improving but he's not ready yet – maybe 10 days, though it could be 12 or 15. Aurelio and Kewell will carry on doing what they are doing but they are not ready yet.

"As for Gerrard, we don't want to take any risks. If we decided to use him tomorrow it would be with injections, so I think it's best we don't take the risk.

"We will be in contact with the national team because we want the same from them. He wants to play all the games but we have to be careful.

"I know how important England is for him. I will talk with Steve McClaren and the doctors will talk to the doctors."

I still think we'll hammer Derby by 3 goals or more, and its live on Premiere in English......

I dont think he is taking on too much....it obviously was a major dispute between them as they have been together for 11 years, but we move on.

thats the second of the 5 i predicted and expect nine more points from the next 3 league games. Should give us a flying start!

Liverpool 6 Derby 0 what a game boys are looking the business going to do well this season

The title could be coming to anfield at last. Torres is looking top class, strong, pace and can finish. We have waited a long time.

The title could be coming to anfield at last. Torres is looking top class, strong, pace and can finish. We have waited a long time.

Would be nice to see it go to anfield but chelski and Utd are still strong. Utd scraping 1-0 while playing shite and Chelski still getting the 3pts....long way to go :eatarrow:

I agree its a long way yet, but we have got depth in the squad this season. I think the other 2 don't have the same death. Look at united they really struggling without rooney & ronaldo.
Last year we would have found in hard without Gerrard, but seem to coping witout him.

top of the league for the next 2 weeks, with probably gerrard and carragher back!!! expecting 9 points in the next 3 games!

Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso was sent off on international duty last night as Spain scrambled a 1-1 draw in Iceland.
The home side led with just four minutes left to play when Andres Iniesta netted an equaliser to salvage a point for Luis Aragones' men.

Spain were forced to play for more than two thirds of the game with ten men, however, after Alonso was sent off after 20 minutes for an alleged stamp on Arnar Vidarsson.

The result leaves Spain third in Group F with 16 points from eight games, level with second-placed Northern Ireland and three behind leaders Sweden.

I don't know about the rest of you but I thought we were very poor today. I agree with Andy Gray this time when he said the best players should be on from the start if they are fit, so they can get a control of the game, but Rafa is the boss and who and I to criticise.

Nice one Pepe

I thought we were prioritising the league, so I'd have played more first-choices and rested them on Tuesday. Portsmouth away is one of the hardest games of the season.

have to agree if the league is our priority, why did gerrard torres and kuyt not start??? should have played this team for the midweek game.

As a Liverpool supporter I really don't understand Benitez sometimes, why change something thats not broken?

Why risk dropping points by leaving Gerrard out for most of the match....If he was gonna play Gerrard anyway then just play him from the start...

Playing him for 10 mins or 90 mins is gonna be a risk, as it is for any player....but surely it takes a risk to be the best!

As a Liverpool supporter I really don't understand Benitez sometimes, why change something thats not broken?

Why risk dropping points by leaving Gerrard out for most of the match....If he was gonna play Gerrard anyway then just play him from the start...

Playing him for 10 mins or 90 mins is gonna be a risk, as it is for any player....but surely it takes a risk to be the best!

agee with you mate!

biggest problem is RAFA always put champions league games as priority how does he expect to win the Premiership?

babel, torres and gerrard shoulda played from the start, Portsmouth are a hard team to beat at home!

i just hope he changes his ways and doesnt let us down by resting our main players in prem games for champions league!

I saw Rafas pre match interview and he said that all the players said they were fit but they always say that cos they want to play. What I took from that was that Gerrard wanted to play but Rafa thought better, was it to show who is boss as Stevie stated he would play for England even if he needed an injection. We looked a better team with the subs on. I find rafas choices strange some times but I back him 100%, he is the manager and he knows best, it just didnt work this time.

Back