little problem with ie

hatab

VIP Member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i needed to swap a machine out at home a compaq/hp evo doing a security job at home but intermittently crashes, 99% certain its a stick of memory going but i dont have another stick of right flavour.

i have a particular app that is running sweet as a nut and all setup took me ages to get right so i had a ibm thinkcentre dual core that will do the job so i have taken a new image of the hp/compaq and then recovered to ibm.

Then run repair on xp before it boots and xp sorts it all out, (ide to sata, video drivers, network drivers etc etc) change computer name etc and give it new ip and join domain everything is ok except internet explorer.

On original machine i/explorer works fine but on cloned ibm when i click on i/explorer it briefly opens the window and then closes, less than a second.

i have this this machine setup so it doesn't normally connect to the internet (set in firewall/router) but it does need to connect via i/explorer to other ip devices on my domain.

I have loaded firefox and this loads ok but firefox is not 100% compatible with the app even with ie tab 2 running.

i have removed i/exploerer in add/remove windows components and reinstalled still same, just in case it got corrupted.

i have looked in event log and nothing there, and in task manager no process running !

Anybody have any pointers i can try ?

tia

sorted removed in windows components, rebooted and then installed a new copy of ie8 and it now works.....very strange but all done.

Back