Little bit of Washing Machine Help Please

Exos

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Zanussi ZWF16070W washing machine that has stopped spinning through the cycle, getting the usual red/green flashes which seem to indicate motor problem, so need to replace the carbon brushes.

Here's my issue. This particular model of washing machine has several different types of brushes based on the motor, manufacture date, serial and so on.

So far I can find options for CESET, FHP and SOLE motor's. The motor has a vertical protruding brush on the left side (from the rear) and a horizontally placed brush on the right (which seems to suggest a sole motor)

However, the actual motor is an ACC Type 20584.603, Part:124617921. The type number is also reflective of sole but not 100% sure as it's just from a few searches, however speaking to a spare parts company just they have advised that motor is no longer available and neither are original or compatible carbon brushes for it and they recommend buying a new motor.

There is a replacement updated motor, but I would rather not go to that point, nor replace the whole bloody machine. I kind of find it difficult to digest that a machine only 3-4 years old doesn't have spares floating around.

I have looked laboriously the last few days but still cannot identify what I exactly need. Help!

Last edited:
Might be better off going to the small local shop (if there is one left!) and asking for some brushes, take one along to show them. Even try fleaBay for some.

I replaced the rotor in the motor of mine once, wasn't going to fork out for a whole new motor!

So was going nowhere fast this morning and decided to take out the motor and the brushes (about 1cm on one side and less than 1cm left on the other)

The brushes look remarkably similar to the sets for a Sole motor, so much so that even the holder has the same part number.

Ordered a pair just from eBay for £11, so just hoping they are the right ones.

So was going nowhere fast this morning and decided to take out the motor and the brushes (about 1cm on one side and less than 1cm left on the other)

The brushes look remarkably similar to the sets for a Sole motor, so much so that even the holder has the same part number.

Ordered a pair just from eBay for £11, so just hoping they are the right ones.

Only thing I can think that could be different is the commutator diameter but they wear too so there will be tolerances.

Back