let me get this straight

Hairy Steve

Inactive User
Reaction score
This is the first time i've looked at this forum, i usually use the dbox one.

Anyhoo. I have a PS2 that's been sittingi dle for nearly two years. It Still works perfectly and isn't chipped.

So i can install a HDD and run games from it? That's incredible, i had no idea that could be done. Don't i need to have it chipped to play backups?

Is there a sticky or threadwith everything i need to know?

Best bet for HDD loading of back ups is either HDadvance or USBeXtreme.

To see which one is compatable with your PS2 see here: wvw.hdadvance.com/hd_advance_usb_extreme_comparison.htm

Plus: No chip needed.

there is a label on the bottom of the PS2's that tell you which console you have

Regards
Mickie D

Hairy Steve said:
How do i figure out which model of PS2 i have?

if its the slim ps2 (the new one) then you will need usb extreme and a usb harddrive

if its the older model (the fat one) then you will need either hdadvance disks or the hdloader memory card eploit, a network adapator and an ide harddrive(maxtor ones are best)

hope this helps

:Cheers:

deedie said:
if its the slim ps2 (the new one) then you will need usb extreme and a usb harddrive

if its the older model (the fat one) then you will need either hdadvance disks or the hdloader memory card eploit, a network adapator and an ide harddrive(maxtor ones are best)

hope this helps

:Cheers:

also you need action replay 2 cd or a chiped ps2 to do the mem card trick

or the swap trick with ar2 and the mem card cd

there are a few ways to do this

happy new year :ST Geo:

hey there guys realy interesting post. i have a ps2 spch39003 model. i checked out the link in the thread and in the comparisons table it said that a ps2 3900X can use both the hdadvance and usbxtreme. i was wondering which method is the better one??

I'd say hdadvance is the best method if youve got the big ps2 as more game are compatible with it. The usb extreme method came out when the slim ps2 arrived and there was no space for a harddrive in it.

HomerJ said:
I'd say hdadvance is the best method if youve got the big ps2 as more game are compatible with it. The usb extreme method came out when the slim ps2 arrived and there was no space for a harddrive in it.

i agree hdadvance is your best bet

Well, i just ordered USBadvance and a Network adapter for my fat PS2.

I'll let you know how it goes.

This may help someone, but I had some difficulty connecting my hard drive to the ps2 connector. You can remove some screws around and manouvere the connector in place so that it will fit correctly.

Cheers

just a quick question peeeps, if i install the hardrive and use hd advance could i then play copy games by loading them on the harddrive?? or does this method only support original games??

cheers

inorder to get "backup" games on the harddrive u will need a chipped ps2

but there is a way round this

u need a program called winhttp that allows u to copy iso's of the games to the harddrive from your pc

u install the harddrive in your pc then run this program to transfer the games

its a bit of a pain but i just leave the side case of the pc..... instead of putting it back on each time

makes the process a whole lot easier

but to answer your question......... then yes it is possible

WOOHOO!!!!:Clap: :banana: :Clap:

It works a treat. HDadvance £14.99, Ethernet adapter £15.99 and 80GB drive free from a friend.

Just downloaded and installed ICO and it plays absolutely perfectly and with super fast load times.

Only gripe is that the load time works out about 30mins but hey, who cares, you only need to do it once and best of all....FREE !!!!

Has anybody managed to get Shadow of the Colossus working with HDAdvance?

kabzy mabzy said:
just a quick question peeeps, if i install the hardrive and use hd advance could i then play copy games by loading them on the harddrive?? or does this method only support original games??

cheers

You can also use the slide tool like you get with swap magic or one of those special flip-top ps2 cases to fool the ps2 into thinking its an original disc and letting you load it onto the hard drive.

Back