Legally buying alcohol

allroad

Inactive User
Reaction score
Was in the queue at the check-out of a well known supermarket; Begins with "T" ends with "esco" and witnessed something that annoyed and frustrated me:

There was a young couple running their shopping through the till. With the running total at £95 the check-out lady asked the young lady for ID as she didn't look 21 Holding onto a bottle of red wine.
The lass didn't flicker and said she didn't bother to carry ID because she was 20. Check-out lady insisted and the partner of the young lady declared himself to be 29 and carrying ID and said he would buy it. Check-out lady said he couldn't have the bottle and must go and get another and join tha back of the queue.
I sensed full-on jobsworth at work:

2 young people almost £100 worth of goods with 1 bottle of red wine. Surely the most elaborate plot by under-age boozers ever?

Was check-out lady being a cow or are the rules really so strict?

Couldn't check-out lady, even if she thought the young lass did look under 21, see that with all those other groceries it was all going to be legal?

They chose to leave without their wine...

Personally, I would have chucked everything back on the conveyor and cancelled the whole lot......

but imagine her mum told her to do the shopping and she wasnt going to tel her mum about the bottle of wine, and she was going to sneak it out later and get pissed with her mates lol

thats if she was really under age lol

sticky fingers said:
well you can drink a pint or a glass of wine in the pub at 16 leagally
seriously i never knew that

sticky fingers said:
I seriously doubt that's true. Maybe in France but definitely not in Scotland or England/Wales.
Between the ages of 14-18, to even enter a pub you have to be accompanied by a responsible adult. You can't enter the pub any younger. Not even to buy food.

At 16 you can buy wine & beer in a pub / resteraunt with a meal..
Under 12's can only enter the pub if it has a children's licence

I seriously doubt that's true. Maybe in France but definitely not in Scotland or England/Wales.
Between the ages of 14-18, to even enter a pub you have to be accompanied by a responsible adult. You can't enter the pub any younger. Not even to buy food.

At 16 you can buy wine & beer in a pub / resteraunt with a meal..
Under 12's can only enter the pub if it has a children's licence

Sorry guy's but your all wrong....lol

Under 18's (sales in a bar)
The sale of alcohol to anyone under 18 is against the law. It is also against the law for someone else to buy alcohol for consumption to a person under 18 in a bar.

Consumption in a bar
Anyone under 18 must not consume alcohol

Sales in a licensed restaurant
In a dining room or an area set apart exclusively for dining, a person aged between 16 and 18 may purchase beer / cider for consumption with a meal. (In Scotland, a persons aged between 16 and 18 can buy beer / wine / cider with a meal.)

Entry
At the licensee's discretion person aged between 14 and 18 may be allowed into a bar but only buy or consume non-alcoholic drinks.
Children under 14 are not allowed in bars during permitted hours. The only exceptions to this are children of the licensee, children resident on the premises and children passing through a bar to or from other parts of the premises. Children are allowed into dining rooms or eating areas set apart and used exclusively for dining, where alcohol is served with a meal.
Children are allowed in family rooms or beer gardens where alcohol is consumed but not sold. Service through a hatch or table service by a waiter or waitress, even in a garden, may turn the area into a bar from which the under 14s should be excluded.
If children under 14 are allowed by the licensee to use an off-sales are (such as an off-licence) for the purchase of soft drinks, crisps and sweets, then the licensee must ensure that no drinking, including by adults, takes place in that area.

:Clap: for tina....
now, cheers!! ( I'm not 18 anymore... sigh!) :proud:

There is a difference between drinking it in a pub and a restaurant:

hXXp://www.essex.police.uk/offbeat/o_wu_11.php

Buying and drinking are different too.

glow54 said:
:Clap: for tina....
now, cheers!! ( I'm not 18 anymore... sigh!) :proud:

thats not stopped people before........My first social beverage was at 16/17.....took a while to acquire the taste tho.....and i didnt go all silly like you see these days where young teenagers get plastered silly and cause problems....

But its good to stay within the law : bat :

allroad said:
Personally, I would have chucked everything back on the conveyor and cancelled the whole lot......

Exactly what I would have done! I'd have left the cow to sort it out.

allroad said:

lol, you would have been screaming if they did, think how long youd be stuckin that queue

tina said:
Sorry guy's but your all wrong....lol

Under 18's (sales in a bar)
The sale of alcohol to anyone under 18 is against the law. It is also against the law for someone else to buy alcohol for consumption to a person under 18 in a bar.

Consumption in a bar
Anyone under 18 must not consume alcohol

Sales in a licensed restaurant
In a dining room or an area set apart exclusively for dining, a person aged between 16 and 18 may purchase beer / cider for consumption with a meal. (In Scotland, a persons aged between 16 and 18 can buy beer / wine / cider with a meal.)

Entry
At the licensee's discretion person aged between 14 and 18 may be allowed into a bar but only buy or consume non-alcoholic drinks.
Children under 14 are not allowed in bars during permitted hours. The only exceptions to this are children of the licensee, children resident on the premises and children passing through a bar to or from other parts of the premises. Children are allowed into dining rooms or eating areas set apart and used exclusively for dining, where alcohol is served with a meal.
Children are allowed in family rooms or beer gardens where alcohol is consumed but not sold. Service through a hatch or table service by a waiter or waitress, even in a garden, may turn the area into a bar from which the under 14s should be excluded.
If children under 14 are allowed by the licensee to use an off-sales are (such as an off-licence) for the purchase of soft drinks, crisps and sweets, then the licensee must ensure that no drinking, including by adults, takes place in that area.

Thing thing is so are you wrong on some points

The Law as of 2005

key point law
under 5 may only be given alcohol on medical order
Children and Young Person's Act of 1933

5 and over may consume alcohol, e.g. at home.

It is only illegal for those aged 5-18 to drink alcohol on licensed premises (without meeting other licensing requirements)

under 14 may not be present in the bar of licensed premises unless accompanied by a person over 28, if it is before 9pm and a children Licensing Act of 1964, Deregulation and Contracting Out Act of 1994

14 and over may be in the bar of licensed premises during permitted hours at licensee's discretion Licensing Act 1964

under 16 may be present in a restaraunt etc where alcohol is served with a meal and at the licensee's discretion may consume (but not purchase) alcohol bought by a parent or guardian

16 and over may purchase beer, porter, cider, or perry with a meal in an eating area on licensed premises (In Scotland wine also) Licensing Act of 1964

under 18 may not purchase or be supplied with or consume alcohol in a bar

under 18 police have powers to confiscate alcohol from under 18s drinking in public and to contact their parents Confiscation of Alcohol (Young Persons) Act of 1997

under 18 Licensees and staff of licensed premises have a positive duty not to sell alcohol unless they are reasonably certain that the purchaser is not under the age of 18.
The legal obstruction to test purchasing under the supervision of police or insperctors of weights and measures is removed. Criminal Justice and Police Act 2001

16-18 May not be employed in bar of a licensed premises, unless as part of a Modern Apprenticeship Scheme Licensing Act 1997

still on the day if you dont look old enough you wont get a drop lol

Last edited:
i never new till a few wekks ago you have to be eating a meal in a pub to leagaly drink

Back