laptop won't connect to internet

pops1a

Inactive User
Reaction score
I've got an old siemens laptop and when I try to connect to the internet it comes up with a blank white page and then after a while it just disappears. I've done scans and it comes up clear, I just can't understand why it has started doing this, any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm only able to do basic tasks on computers so would need simple instructions which I could perform. Thanks in advance.

Does your modem connect to you pc via usb or ethernet?
When using ethernet, if you are taking the cable out of the pc and sticking it in the laptop it wont work unless you then reboot the modem as Oneman suggested earlier because you are connecting using a different mac address. I think that is your problem; just resart the modem.

Thanks, i'm using a usb. I've tried turning the modem on and off but it just doesn't want to know.

I've noticed that under start/programs/ accessories / system tools, it is showing internet explorer with (no add ons) when I checked it could this have anything to do with it ?

Last edited:
Your connection will be more secure by using the ehthernet connection than the USB connection anyway so maybe it's time to just do what DoomedEarl
has suggested. The following article sums it up for you.

Ethernet vs USB - Which Broadband Modem Interface is Better?

I managed to get on it. It's interesting info. I'd always thought usb was better, it just goes to show you something you assume is fine is actually the main culprit. I'll need to check if the modem has an ethernet connection.

Last edited:
Guess we can all assume everything is ok when clearly it is not, such is life. Let us know how you get on or if we can be of further help.

Guess we can all assume everything is ok when clearly it is not, such is life. Let us know how you get on or if we can be of further help.

Thanks for offering to help. I checked the modem and it does have an ethernet connection. I'm not sure which cable to buy. I have an RJ45 crossover cable, will I be able to use that or is their a sepecific type for internet connection. Sorry for being clueless because when I was near currys I popped in and their were loads of different ones so I didn't buy one. Then I realised I had a RJ45 at home. I've not had the chance to connect it up, as the wife is on the net, to see if it will work.

Thanks for offering to help. I checked the modem and it does have an ethernet connection. I'm not sure which cable to buy. I have an RJ45 crossover cable, will I be able to use that or is their a sepecific type for internet connection. Sorry for being clueless because when I was near currys I popped in and their were loads of different ones so I didn't buy one. Then I realised I had a RJ45 at home. I've not had the chance to connect it up, as the wife is on the net, to see if it will work.

You will need a straight ethernet patch cable, I don't think a cross-over will work from modem to PC. You can pick one up from the B&Q, tesco, etc for a few quid. Else always worth asking at work if you work in a office, IT support normally have a few lying around.

Straight RJ45 type ethernet cable. A crossover would only be useful if you were connecting direclty to another pc, to network with no router.

Straight RJ45 type ethernet cable. A crossover would only be useful if you were connecting direclty to another pc, to network with no router.

I found an RJ45 straight cable, but I have the same problem. I get a blank screen then it comes up with an error message. I tried it with my PC and it does work and connect to the internet. I'm now wondering what the problem could be. Any suggestion greatly appreciated.

I found an RJ45 straight cable, but I have the same problem. I get a blank screen then it comes up with an error message. I tried it with my PC and it does work and connect to the internet. I'm now wondering what the problem could be. Any suggestion greatly appreciated.

Did you power cycle the modem and laptop?

What error mesage have you got?

Also you said it was an old machine, I'm assuming though it has XP. Does it have SP2 & SP3 on it?

Are you using IE?

Have you tried Firefox?

Thanks, how do I check if it's enabled. Their only seems to be 1 hole where it will fit.

Check in network properties and device manager.

Also doing the ipconfig will show if it is getting an ip address from the modem.

This seems to be dragging on somewhat so let's see if we can help you get there.

What model is your lappy?

What model is your router/modem?

Are you using IE7 or IE8 as your browser?

Meanwhile take a look at Virgins help site and maybe it will get you used to going through the process. I have set the link to the connections aspect but there are other pages on their site that you might like to view also.

Why can’t I connect to the Internet?

Also take a look at this site which might be of help

How to Setup Broadband Internet in Windows XP

Back