Laptop RAM

sempi

DW Regular
Reaction score
I have just put new ram into my dell inspiron 6000, it is running windows 7.
when the 2 x 1Gb sticks are in the laptop will not boot up, it gets to the windows starting message with pulsing windows logo and just hangs there.

I have booted it in safe mode and it starts ok, try restart and same problem.
i have tried both sticks of RAM 1 at a time and laptop boots fine with either of them in, also went into bios at startup and it is showing 2GB of RAM so it is being recognised but when both 1Gb sticks are it it will not boot.

any help appreciated

I take it both the rams are the same make etc etc?

The first thing i would do is boot into windows normal and delete the driver for graphics and reboot.

Or maybe if your hdd is partioned then install windows 7 again of the other partion and see if it install correctly.

But only if the ram are the same specs etc :banana:

The first thing i would do is boot into windows normal and delete the driver for graphics and reboot.

Or maybe if your hdd is partioned then install windows 7 again of the other partion and see if it install correctly.

both rams are the same, just got them today, both work on their own but not together and according to specs the lappy can run 2gb max

reboot with the old ram in it or switch to new ram before reboot?

thats a shame ok, next i would try with both ram in and boot from windows 7 disc and try and see if you can repair.

When you swap over ram do you always use the same ram slot ? If so maybe just swop the ram to the other slot and just check it boots ok.

thats a shame ok, next i would try with both ram in and boot from windows 7 disc and try and see if you can repair.

When you swap over ram do you always use the same ram slot ? If so maybe just swop the ram to the other slot and just check it boots ok.

will give it a go tomorrow m8 up just before 6am for work so gonna get some sleep, thanks for your help, I will post how i get on 2morrow night.

Run the new RAM though memtest86+ individually and together.

just ran the memtest with both sticks of RAM in and no errors (took just over 40 mins....is this right?) will do again with individual sticks in.
if i start in safe mode it works with both sticks of RAM in and shows the full 2 Gb in system properties but still will not boot up normally just hangs....

It's not linear, but Memtest will take longer the more RAM you have in. It'll also keep cycling if you let it...

As the memory tested fine it's either an incompatibility with the system or a problem with the install as Ja5 suggested. In safe mode check the error log to see what, if anything, was recorded.

sempi i had the same on a 6000 m8
even took it to priceless and
found that 2x1 gb stick would just not run
but it runs windows 7 ok on 1gb m8.

cheers John, I have had windows 7 on it for ages with just 512Mb of RAM..:Clap: just a little slow...lol..

oh well anyone wanna buy a 1GB stick of lappy memory :(

Not looking good is it !!

Well did you try booting with windows 7 disc and trying repair?
I bet a fresh install would sort it but not the best idea i know

yeah quick look and thats the latest bios.

What about loading default setting in bios or maybe performance if you have them options.

Last edited:
Back