Laptop Power Issue

Fyobl

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Right i cant remember the model of the laptop as im at work at the moment but if you have any suggestions please post them.

My mothers laptop wont turn on. The story she tols me was she was on it and it was working fine then the door went she closed the lid down and came back to it opened it up and tryed to turn it on and nothign was happening.

Now i have had a look at it and the first thing i tryed was to turn it on and all i could see was the power light come on for a second then back off. no fans start and the screen doesnt come on.

I have taken it apart and cleaned it i have checked all cables, I have tryed taking the battery pack out and turnign it on with the power cable in and still doesnt work.

I have taken the RAM out and the HDD and tryed turning it on and still no joy....

Can anyone think of anything else i could try?

Cheers

Probably the power brick or DC jack. Power brick can be checked with a multimeter, if it passes most likely the DC jack has a dry joint or detached from the board.

After that repair options start to get more expensive...

It could be that the power adapter is knackered. That would explain a glimpse of LED and then out again. The adapter is faulty so the battery isn't being charged and it was just running the battery dead last time your mum used it.
Is the LED on the power pack lighting? Try a different wall socket, a different power lead into the power pack (kettle or Fig8). I wouldn't advise using another laptop power adapter unless it's an identical match. Using the wrong adapter would cause more harm than good.

If it's 100% not the power adapter, whenever you have the mains plugged into the laptop, see if there is any give in the socket if you gently wiggle the cable. Power socket might need resoldered to the board.

Sounds more like a duff power adapter though.

Thanks for the replys,

The Battery is fully charged as there is a button on it you press to tell you how much charge is in the battery.

I have tryed to turn it on with just the battery but it still dont come on.

She does always have the power cable plugged in so would this have effected the DC socket on the laptop?

Cheers

She does always have the power cable plugged in so would this have effected the DC socket on the laptop?
Shouldn't have done. They only draw the power needed.

The Battery is fully charged as there is a button on it you press to tell you how much charge is in the battery.

I have tryed to turn it on with just the battery but it still dont come on.
Interesting feature, not heard of that one before

I know it's your Mum's laptop, so you may not be familar with the boot sequence, but is there any pattern to the lights? Some manufactuers use the LEDs to display error codes.

You could try an ATX reset - with the battery and mains disconnected, press and hold the power button for at least 5 seconds.

Cheers,

I will give this a dry once im home.

The LED sequence is just 1 light thats for power witch comes on for a second then back off.

Is this a Dell laptop? Working with a number of Dells, I wouldn't always trust the LED battery indicator. What model is it?

I know it defeats the purpose of posting on here, but if there was a small laptop repair shop handy, they would probably be happy to check with another cable if it promised a sale of a new one.

Sorry... just re-reading a post from above about an ATX reset and it's jogged some old knowledge inside my head, lol. Rub your eyes now because you'll doubt what you're about to read. We have a large number of Dell laptops rolled out and this was a genuine fix sent to us by them.
Take the battery out and plug mains cable in. Have it switched on at the socket. Wait 24hrs. Switch off mains. Replace battery. Power on laptop.

I feel silly even having typed it, but I've done this myself and know it works. I guess it's one more thing you can try.

Last edited:
Is this a Dell laptop? Working with a number of Dells, I wouldn't always trust the LED battery indicator. What model is it?

I know it defeats the purpose of posting on here, but if there was a small laptop repair shop handy, they would probably be happy to check with another cable if it promised a sale of a new one.

Sorry... just re-reading a post from above about an ATX reset and it's jogged some old knowledge inside my head, lol. Rub your eyes now because you'll doubt what you're about to read. We have a large number of Dell laptops rolled out and this was a genuine fix sent to us by them.
Take the battery out and plug mains cable in. Have it switched on at the socket. Wait 24hrs. Switch off mains. Replace battery. Power on laptop.

I feel silly even having typed it, but I've done this myself and know it works. I guess it's one more thing you can try.

Sounds strange but its worth a try....

Ill do this aswell and get back to you guys.

Cherrs

Guys,

I tryed both the things you said but they havent worked.....

Whats my next step?

Cheers

this may sound nuts but have you checked the switch that turns off the laptop when the lid is closed as it might just be a bit sticky

this may sound nuts but have you checked the switch that turns off the laptop when the lid is closed as it might just be a bit sticky

Ill have a check.

Anyone else got any suggestions?

Laptop is:

Samsung R519

Last edited:
Guys,

After a little bit more digging i found that the built in web cam was the issue to the power not staying on.

The cable that goes from the MB up the screen hinge was half cut and wires was touching the metal hinge, So i have taken that out and now i get power on but no screen!

I can hear the HDD spinning....

Any suggestions guys?

Cheers

Guys,

After a little bit more digging i found that the built in web cam was the issue to the power not staying on.

The cable that goes from the MB up the screen hinge was half cut and wires was touching the metal hinge, So i have taken that out and now i get power on but no screen!

I can hear the HDD spinning....

Any suggestions guys?

Cheers

That's because thats screen cable m8, sounds like you need a new one, just to double check can you try an external monitor connected to the VGA port on the laptop

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

Back