Laptop hdd gone crazy?

z4kir

Inactive User
Reaction score
Laptop hdd no longer recognised? Help!!!

Well some of you may know that I have the worst laptop ever! Packard Bell H5315,

basically for the past yr has been crashing randomly, other ppl on the PB forums have the same problem and it seems PB have been cocks n put the wrong motherboard with the processor, and slowed the processor speed! so the P4 3.2ghz only runs at 1.8Ghz! To me it seems they were aware of the problems, laptop was a warranty replacement and I have been out of warranty for the last yr.

When I use it it will randomly freeze, I'll hear the fan wind down n have to hold the power button to switch off n restart! Well it happened yday and when I tried to turn the lappy back on it seems the hdd is not recognised anymore, even in bios.

I removed the hdd and attached it to my usb caddy and hooked it up to my PC, again not recognised by the PC but I can hear the hdd wind up for a second n then stop and then the same again n again.

I have feeling maybe the hdd did not shut itself down properly, is there anyway to get it working again? I do regurly backup my hard drive, but havnt done so for the last two weeks and really need to get my coursework off it.

Last edited:
theres certain hard drive programe out there that run a live of cd think there linux based but can recover stuff on the hard drive but would think would need the computer to reconise it 1st think the programme was paragon harddrive tools will tell you when i can find my disk out i didnt really know how to use it but might help you out never know .might even be an idea to get a linux livecd and run that to see if your drive shows up in that hope you get it sorted as for the speed you sure its not running the step mode thing when its on on the power lead im sure mine runs half the speed when not on the lead

Havnt got linux on my pc so dunno if that would help, any other suggestions?

remember the hdd (connected to my pc via usb) isnt recognised atall, just whirrs n stops continuously

no mate im saying that you dont have to install it. it runs from a live cd from cd rom no installing its worth trying just to see if the drive shows up in there

If it seems to spin and then park itself (click) then spin and park itself (click) the bet is that the write head had done its dinner m8. If it isn't recognised as a slave either then its time to reach for the wallet. Had a few do this to me. Might I say that it would be terrible if you accidentaly dropped the laptop and had to have the household insurance look at it for you???

Might I say that it would be terrible if you accidentaly dropped the laptop and had to have the household insurance look at it for you???

lol unfortunately I don't have contents insurance. The hard drive is a Samsung drive.

I've tried a few things but to no avail so I have resorted to putting it in the freezer, in the hope that I can recover some of the data. has been in there for 24 hrs now, will try tomorrow to see if it fixes the fault and will let you guys know.

lol unfortunately I don't have contents insurance. The hard drive is a Samsung drive.

I've tried a few things but to no avail so I have resorted to putting it in the freezer, in the hope that I can recover some of the data. has been in there for 24 hrs now, will try tomorrow to see if it fixes the fault and will let you guys know.
Have a feeling that if it wasn't dead before then it is now.

thats a new one never heard about putting in a freeza :) lol does it go well with vodka

well I just took it out the freezer n ........................ it worked!!!! lol managed to get into windows fine and backed everything i needed onto my external, will see how it goes now... if it fails then its no big deal anymore!

Heard of people doing this as a last resort. its supposed to demagnatise the drive or something?

well I just took it out the freezer n ........................ it worked!!!! lol managed to get into windows fine and backed everything i needed onto my external, will see how it goes now... if it fails then its no big deal anymore!
Amazing! have got a couple of duff drives that I'm gonna try that on.

Back