Kodi on PC

If anyone wants to backup there there kodi build and transfer it to another machine I find the best way is to use Total installer. There are tut vids on youtube and on there forum on how to install and use it. You can share your kodi build or try other peoples builds with all repos and addons setup. I use kodi 14.2 and ccm helix skin which is fully customisable.

Do you know if there is any personal information held on your “org.xbmc.kodi” like IP or other personal things?

if i run say ultimate addon pack on windows kodi 14.2
to get to work on say fire stick
i do a back up within kodi

swap the addons folder & restore to fire tv stick works fine

so if you have own kodi on Windows to your liking an easy transfer to android

I have backed up but not restored yet, as I would like to copy to another machine, when I visit my son in a few days. So also interested to see your experiment works.

I have backed up but not restored yet, as I would like to copy to another machine, when I visit my son in a few days. So also interested to see your experiment works.

The problem is I spent a couple of hours yesterday, learning how to backup and restore from an android unit. I did enjoy the research but I don’t fancy going through the same research, this time for the pc.

So if one of you younger chaps fancy doing a step by step instructions, as I did yesterday here on post no 6

https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/xbmc-kodi-discussion-602/424638-wookie.html

But this time from PC to PC, then it would give me great pleasure to share my setup with you.

I did look for the file “org.xbmc.kodi” but I gave up after an hour.

But it has to be done manually, as I did with the other one.

These instructions are the nearest I came to doing it,

But this is based on kodi 14.2 helix and my setup is Kodi 15.0 “Isengard”

So I got tired of searching.

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

If not I'll try and do it tomorrow with a fresh start

Here is one I found from Google but it didn’t work

PC to PC

On the PC go to C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming
Save the folder called “Kodi” to a USB or just somewhere you will be able to load it on the new PC.
Install Kodi on the new PC
Go to C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming on your new PC and paste the folder you saved earlier overwriting any data
Load Kodi and it will be the same as on the other PC.

The only limitations are if your other system had a library of locally stored content you would not be able to access it. But that’s just common sense. Rebuild the library if needs be to point to any video, music, tv sources on your new PC.

Code:

Last edited:
If not I'll try and do it tomorrow with a fresh start

Here is one I found from Google but it didn’t work

PC to PC

On the PC go to C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming
Save the folder called “Kodi” to a USB or just somewhere you will be able to load it on the new PC.
Install Kodi on the new PC
Go to C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming on your new PC and paste the folder you saved earlier overwriting any data
Load Kodi and it will be the same as on the other PC.

The only limitations are if your other system had a library of locally stored content you would not be able to access it. But that’s just common sense. Rebuild the library if needs be to point to any video, music, tv sources on your new PC.

Code:

Maybe because my system is Windows 10.

Can someone try with another system and let us know if it works?

It should work really because it’s clear and straightforward

Just to help others out re setup not working i.e skins not correct etc.

I made the mistake of shutting off my Firestick via remote and Wookie did not install correctly.

However if you just pull the power plug and with kodi running and restart then all works as stated in post #1. Just done 2 Firesticks this way and worked both times.

have you tried this way

works flawless

Code:

Yes, all his tutorials are excellent, I did look at it this morning but as I said I wanted to do it manually, meaning go into windows explorer and find the actual file.

Having said that I might give that a go bit later.
Thanks mate

always follow his guides for all

never failed yet

Update on the backup:

One very easy way of backing up kodi on android and PC is:

Media portal / USB-SD card Wizard / select where you want your backup stored / chose full backup / OK / backup / and restore is in the same place.

So I did it, and it backed up a zipped file to the location I gave it.

Inside the zipped file there are 4 folders and 2 text files. In the text file there is some personal information but I don’t think the text files are necessary for the restore process.

The other method, I followed post 166 but I couldn’t find the location suggested on that post, it must be a hidden file.

So I went to explorer clicked on the C: drive and pasted “C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Kodi” on the search area

and It found the kodi file, in it there are 7 folders and 2 text files.

So in theory we could start sharing our backups.

The idea behind this experiment was to help those that were less successful in installing the wookie.

But I think all that have tried the installation were successful in the end.

Is this correct or is there anyone here still struggling?

Sort of, - wookie is running with all the appropriate addons, but never managed to get the themes included to work or load (tried all of the suggested methods). So all I did was stick to default theme and follow the on-line guides from Michael to set up the additional subheadings, libraries etc. Still pleased with what I have mind and the support from "idrob"

Windows 8.1 Helix Kodi

Do you know if there is any personal information held on your “org.xbmc.kodi” like IP or other personal things?

I think if you do a full backup it stores your personal information but if you store it as a community build it removes it. When transferring your kodi build it should be transferred to the same version of kodi and use the same skin.

Sort of, - wookie is running with all the appropriate addons, but never managed to get the themes included to work or load (tried all of the suggested methods). So all I did was stick to default theme and follow the on-line guides from Michael to set up the additional subheadings, libraries etc. Still pleased with what I have mind and the support from "idrob"

Windows 8.1 Helix Kodi

@chris200, I think in order to get everything just like the way you want it on your fire TV,

You may need to start fresh and follow the instruction here:

Code:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice one guys. Brilliant help from all as usual

Last edited:
I can confirm that Copying:

C:/users/username/Appdata/Roaming/Kodi

and pasting it to another computer running the same version of Kodi works 100%.

I just tried it

Back