Kitchen Extension but Manhole in the way

tlogic

Inactive User
Reaction score
I'm at a very early stage of planning a Kitchen extension but need some input from you guys in relation to an existing manhole that will clash with the new extension foundations. The manhole is shared with my neighbour .

Theres two things I'd like to know which will put my mind at ease;

1. Would it be possible to move the manhole further out in the garden and build over the existing one, if so how can I approach this?

2. It appears my neighbour when they built their extension 15-20 years ago connected a 100mm pipe thorugh the brick enclosure of the manhole. This pipe enters the manhole probably 300mm - 400mm from the top of the manhole cover, the pipe is then connected to a down pipe to stop the water just dropping into the manhole. The invert level of the manhole is approx 1m. I can see this being a problem, is there anything i can do about this?

For me to go ahead with this extension I need to build over it to make it worth while. I've uploaded some pictures to give you an idea.

Inkedbackgarden2 LI

back garden

I haven't yet involved an architect but will do at some point in the next couple months. Just woundered what your thoughts are on this.

Just wondering whether you could change it to an inspection chamber instead. That way you would still have access within the extension but would only be a small circle in the floor compared to a manhole size.

you can move them, you might need planning, at least for them to update their records (if they have any lol).

Have a look here:
Planning Permission | Drains and sewers | Planning Portal

I would get an idea of costs of a few builders (especially extension builders).

Are you doing all the works yourself?

If yes then I am guessing you are already competent builder and re-stacking the man hole would not be too much of an issue... you can even put right the connection from your neighbours. flow is the key here.

I am not saying to do this lol, but I have known many people to just move them mate....

Mick

We bought our house 16 years ago and it has been extended twice, what was the granny flat at the back actually has a manhole grate under the floor that was accessed through a trap door under the carpet. I think our house runs into this one and I think they moved the one that connects to the neighbours sewer system has been moved further into our back yard. I have just recently turned the granny flat into a big kitchen and laid solid wood floor but left a trap door with access under the island in the middle. It would be a pain to get to but it can be done.

Back